Author Topic: First turns of the season  (Read 341 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
First turns of the season
« on: December 07, 2006, 07:51:01 am »
Got out yesterday to Windham Mountain in NY state. to Quote my friend Phil (over at epic) they were good November conditions.. That about sums up the season so far.  They had 3 runs open and did a good job despite the weather. It was great to try the new boots out. Wow, what difference. first off, they are so much lighter on my feet. second, they fit so well and so connected. Much faster reaction time from the old boots and just felt more connected to the ski. I had a great underfoot feeling of the ski when carving. The right foot, which is always problematic, is much improved and only twists slightly. I am going back to Billy today  to have him carve out my right big toe area a bit and add a touch more to the orthodic to counter-act the twist. Overall, a great 2 hours on the snow and I feel ready to hit the real snow on a real mountain.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Barrettscv

Re: First turns of the season
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 07:09:56 am »
Jim Ratliff, my Daughter, myself & three friends enjoyed warm weather and hardpack conditions at Snowbird yesterday. We were fortunate to be given the grand mountain tour by Peter Colgren and his wife, Lynn.

The cover was minimal but sufficient to enjoy almost every groomed run on the mountain. Peter & Lynn have skied locally for most of their adult lives and provided top to bottom "Grand Turismo" high speed cruising of the terrain. We generally skied from the top of the Tram to either the Gad-Zoom Chair or the Tram base. The runs were rapid with one or two stops to admire the terrain or avoid hazards. We also traversed the "Road to Provo" and explored the Gad Valley, one of skiing's great experiences. It's such a spectacular place. And Utah hardpack is superior to the best conditions east of the Mississippi.

Obviously My wide skis stayed in at bay within Superior sports. My new-to-me Scenios were very good but not great, both the RX8 & WC RC are superior, except when the snow very soft. A stable crud buster.

Us Flat-Landers skied very well. Jim & my daughter had no problem skiing some very challanging terrain. I think my daughter saw 50 MPH while decending Regulator Johnson. Jim had that "wow" look in his eye more than once.

Cheers,

Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 07:37:14 am »
Gee, somehow it seems your conditions were better than mine????   I had overcast skies with snow guns blasting, some small rocks and death cookies.........

Barrettscv

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 08:11:32 am »
Conditions will be better in B.C  ;D for both of us!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 09:58:34 am »
Ya' know, I think you're correct sir! I still will be chasing your contrails......Can't wait, looks like a couple of inches each day.

Michael, can you PM me with your cell #?

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 11:36:33 am »
Michael, here's hoping some freshies fall your way!
Sounds like you guys are having a ball.

Can't wait to turn em loose! My regards to Peter and the Mrs...

Ron, I have MIchael's cell.

Best,
Gary

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 12:37:51 am »

I would love to post some information on how Michael skis, but I would glance away and by the time I looked back, 'zoom' and he was gone.  I'm convinced that y'all will have a great time at BC. 

Local weather here in SLC says the high pressure that has been in place is about the break with several weak storms moving through, so you might get some freshies, but they don't seem to be thinking any big storms are coming.

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 04:59:34 am »
its all good. No big dumps expected but it looks like a few inches between Sunday and Monday so that will keep the surface fresh. Wish you were coming Jim!

Barrettscv

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 12:11:01 pm »
Snowmass has excellent coverage, not even a concern.

B.C. should be just as good.

Cheers,

Michael
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 03:19:45 pm by Barrettscv »

roof867

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 07:49:24 pm »
Glad to hear that your all skiing! I am stuck in Michigan trying to look forward to 500ft of vertical when it finally does snow!!!

It's good to be around my wife's family because they are great people, but I am really looking forward to moving back East in March, or maybe even out West! We're thinking about it. My wife is pretty easy about it.

There is an incredible mountain out here called Mount Bohemia. It's only 900ft vertical, but it's suppose to be some of the best back country skiing in the US. Ski magazine did a cover story on it a year or two ago. Its all trees, blinds and cliff chutes, no grooming and 270" powder a year! Last year they had over 290". The mountain is situated between lake Labelle, and Lake Superior. You should go on line and check it out.

We are going to be out East in Jan, and I will get a week skiing there...really want to get out West...we'll see :-\

...have a great time in B.C.!