Author Topic: Ski review -- Head Supershape Speed, 08/09  (Read 1640 times)

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Re: Ski review -- Head Supershape Speed, 08/09
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 02:12:04 pm »
Svend - I'm tracking with you.  I'm glad that they are busting through the crud...thats a nice feature in a ski.  Actually, when I got my Magnums I was surprised at how soft they felt compared to my RX 8 and older IM 75.  I haven't gotten a chance to ride them so I'll let you know how much that transfers to the snow.  In the end, it's all about how it performs.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 02:43:07 pm »
FYI, I plan to play around with binding position on my Speeds.? I want to get at least 5 more days on the present setup, which is just shy of the BOF-CRS mark, before I move them back one set of holes.? We'll see how that works out, and I'll let you know my preference.? So far I like the way it is -- makes turn initiation a breeze -- very agile and quick feeling for a GS ski, and no issues with stability as yet.

Svend.? Are you that close to BOF-CRS with factory setup or did you do something initially to move bindings forward some.? I'm surprised if it is all factory and you are within 10mm (.2") of BOF-CRS.?

And yeah, I've been accused of over-analysing stuff all the time.? Often my kids will ask a question, followed by the statement "the short answer dad, not the full dissertation".
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 07:17:45 am »
Perry -- sorry, I totally misunderstood.? I thought you were still shopping for skis, and were looking for feedback about alternatives to the Magnum.? Didn't realize you'd already bought the Magnums.? Feel especially daft now that I just read your "New (old) Magnums" post from two weeks ago.  And here I am rambling on to you about how great the Speeds are....sheesh! :-[ :-[ :-[

Jim, when I first picked up my skis from the shop, I had them mount the binding forward of the factory position, to just shy of the BOF-CRS point.? They were never mounted at the factory mark, although I probably will try them there some day just to see what it feels like. Sorry for the confusion....
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 07:20:36 am by Svend »

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 05:14:10 pm »
Svend- Just wanted to update you.  I did finally get to ski on the Magnums yest.  I thought that you would be interested because you are a relative newcomer as am I.  From reading this forum, I have taken to heart that it is probably better to ski on skis that are a little shorter in order to learn and reinforce good habits.  The problem becomes.....when am I good enough to ski longer skis, what will I notice etc.

Yest. the snow was soft, almost spring like conditions except their was no loud corn snow.  I am 6'2" 200lbs and ski fairly parallel.  Most people would say parallel but I notice a little stem move that creeps in at or just prior to release.  The SS magnums are 177cm, my RX8 and Monster IM75 are both 170cm.

The length was really no problem at all.  The skis are super stable and a lot of fun.  They are not quite as quick as the RX8 but they are definitely more stable and they are not at all sluggish.  The RX 8 is also very stable but once or twice when I really got going, I felt a little bobble.  The 177 also should give me more float when I go out west.  It was crowded enough that I spent most of the day skiing around others skiers.  I look forward skiing them when I can really let them loose.

The other benefit long term may be that they will give me more feedback when I do stem.  I noticed this yesterday a few times.  Perhaps if I ski more on these, then moving to the short skis will be a piece of cake (kind of the flip side of the argument above, you just have to have enough technique to make it work).  I would be interested in what the more experienced skiers in the forum would say about this.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 07:09:43 pm »
Perry:

Glad you liked them.  Super stable and a lot of fun certainly match my perspective.  at 5"11" and 185 I got the 170's, but I'm not surprised that 177's worked for you and will give a bit more float.  My observation was that they were excellent at skiing either slow or fast, and did seem to "help" me make better turns.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 03:13:53 pm »
Perry, they sound like nice skis.? And interesting to hear your comments about the length.? Being about your height, but about 3 years less experience, I'm still comfortable with my choice of the 170s.? With my limited experience, the 177 may have been a bit of a handful, and I would have lost some of the agility that I love.? However, as I've been out on my Speeds about four days now, and they being so easy to ski on, I'm thinking the 177 would have been OK too.?

Oh well...too late to change now (not that I would, anyway).  I would drive myself bonkers if I second-guessed every decision I made.? Gotta be content with what I have, and so far the Speeds are everything that I wanted in a ski.? Fast, stable, great edge hold, agile (for a GS ski), great crud busting, easy to turn and change turn shapes in mid-arc, and silky-smooth on the snow.? And I can skid 'em if needed (good for skiing with kids!).? No shortcomings apparent to me yet.? I love 'em!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:09:06 pm by Svend »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 03:37:35 pm »
Svend:? I actually think you have the right size for you in the SuperShape Speed and that Perry has the right size for him in the SuperShape Magnum.

Perry:? I think that "little bobble" that you felt is what Gary and the good skiers refer to as the sweet spot.? Some skis require more attention to maintaining a centered and balanced position on the ski in order to maintain control, some like the Magnum allow you to wobble or get out of balance a bit more without generating any negative feedback.

Perry:  BTW, where were you skiing?  Up in the Blowing Rock area or Snowshoe?

I wouldn't agree that shorter skis imply a better skier, but that high performance skis with a short radius will be shorter.? Equally high performance skis with a longer turn radius will be longer.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:47:14 pm by jim-ratliff »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 04:14:52 pm »
Jim, didn't want to give the impression that I am not happy with my choice of length.  On the contrary, I am totally convinced that I made the right decision.  I was merely pointing out that, given how easy the Speeds are to ski in a 170, I would also have been OK on them in a 177.  They are surprisingly forgiving, and a longer length seems like it would be in my range of ability.  But I wouldn't change length now.  As I said, the 170s have all the qualities I was looking for, and more.  (BTW, I edited my previous response to emphasize my point  ;D)

Cheers,
Svend

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 04:49:57 pm »
Jim - I was at Sugar.

Svend - I also agree that 170 was probably right for right now.  I have wondered if I should have gotten the 175cm RX 8 but the truth is that the 170's are very quick and a ton of fun to ski on... so what is not to like?

I would love to hear from someone who is more committed to skiing at "maximum length".  I am just curious as to the benefits they have noted or if it is just a personal preference.  For those who like to ski with their hair on fire >:D >:D, it obviously makes a lot of sense.  Just wondering if I can pick up something that may not have occurred to me.  Perhaps it is a dumb question.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 05:01:04 pm »
the 170's are very quick and a ton of fun to ski on... so what is not to like?
  Hear! Hear! My sentiments about my Speeds exactly.  And ain't that what it's all about? If the ski is a ton of fun, why agonize over a few centimeters of length? Just get out and enjoy 'em!