Author Topic: A helmet era ends  (Read 326 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
A helmet era ends
« on: November 10, 2008, 10:00:05 am »
With some in-trepidation....I have retired my orange Boeri in favor of the Smith Variant helmet.

My Boeri served me well on many fronts but the liner was wearing and glued in spots. I was worried that after 4 years of exposure to the elements and some falls where it protected what's left of my cranium, I felt it was time for a change. It's just that that ORANGE helmet was my Black Box...my Beacon...my Locater....it was how my ski buds could find me. But alas....it's time has come and it is being retired to a warm and peaceful place out of the elements but surrounded by ski stuff. It's memory shall live on. AND Jim....I know you'll be the most disappointed.

The new kid on the block is the new Smith Variant. It's got awesome venting, a cool visor the goggles tuck under nicely, and an adjustable inner liner that really works. But, it's black. Now that's not at all bad cause my ski jacket is so freakn' orange that my buds will still be able to follow the bouncing orange jacket. So I step into new helmet territory, testing the waters of fashion as well as safety.

I await the first comments from my oh so merciful friends upon their first view of my ski gear combo. They will without a doubt chastise me, require that I wear a boa or feather in my helmet to honor the Boeri Orange Beacon....but that shall not happen. I step forward willingly with no regrets....and of this, I am certain....I'm diggn' my new helmet!  ;D

Best,
G

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: A helmet era ends
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:06:42 am »
Well CRAP!!!? My big surprise was my new ORANGE helmet that I bought so I could "be just like Gary".

Guess that ugly sucker is headed to the trash pile now, but I got it at such a good price that I couldn't resist the joke aspect.? I was planning on bringing two helmets, the orange one just for the joke.

;D? ;D? ;D? ;D

Gary, my best wishes and hope you can handle the pressure of being "somewhat normal" now.
So much for all my "punkin head" jokes.

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

gregmerz

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:07:44 am »
I'll bring a can of bright orange spray paint to Steamboat and we can fix that Smith right up...

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 11:32:16 am »
Geez....the sentiments and good will flow...Jim...so you've gone over to the "Orange" side....

You know the force is with you. Please leave your light saber home...you might hurt yourself!

Oh yea....me normal, surely you jest!  8)

Greg, I must say your enthusiaism to retro me back to the days of orange helmet only would create greater anxiety issues of which would exhaust all prescriptions I could obtain the first day out.

No, I'm going cold turkey

G

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 12:24:17 pm »
Congrats!!!
I think a nice orange "bulls eye" on your new helmet is the way to go. That way we know where you are and where to aim the snowballs!
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 01:09:49 pm »
Gary, you will have to change out the jacket and pants now! You bought a free-ride helmet! Your outfit is pure "race" ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 01:50:13 pm »
Geez....the sentiments and good will flow...Jim...so you've gone over to the "Orange" side....
G

Me go over to the Orange side.   ::)  ::) Not at all.  >:D  I was just striving to provide some cover and camouflage so you wouldn't feel so "color isolated" on the slopes. 

I agree with Ron, the orange jacket needs to be the next to go.  "Recovery" from Orange-itis is a long slow process, but I'm glad to hear that you have started those first painful steps in dealing with your "compulsive dependency."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 01:55:16 pm »
I am trying to get him onto a nice blue or bright green, I need a hand here folks..... ::)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 01:59:04 pm »

I'm thinking camouflage fatigue like material or olive drab; something that reminds him of all of those wonderful years associated with service to our country.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 02:40:12 pm »
Hey nobody throwing their snowballs at me.....it's unnatural...and someones liable to get their eye poked out.... :-\

Now Lynn....since you have not seen my new jacket....know that it is REALLY orange...I mean Creamsickle orange! I mean "danger Will Robinson" orange!

See how Ron looks for that little hook to needle me into buying more clothing stuff....oh you're good mister but no psycho gear babble is going to make me change my mind, you don't have that power over me,.....I refuse to cave in.

So....what helmet should I have purchased....I mean I can take it back...I mean I still have the orange Boeri....No you're not doing this Ron....I love my new Smith helmet....AND for your information...IT HAS A RACING STRIPE so to speak on it ....so there... ;D

There will be NO recovery from orange...It's my color...as a matter of fact my wife picked up a orange jacket at the shop last night and I said without a breath's hesitation, "that's my color, you can't have it"!...she saw that look on my face that only you guys have seen, and put it back down...there were people in the shop chanting ..."put down the jacket lady" ! It was scary!!

AND yes I still have my camo....geez better yet Jim...I still have my US Army issue poncho...love that poncho.....so many uses...I'll bring it for ya!

Thanks gang for all the luv,? ;D
G
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:42:45 pm by Gary »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 04:12:07 pm »
Ron BTW...ALice says it's not a race striping on the helmet it's cross stiching..
Not sure where I'm going with that...

Except she says the helmet is "change you can believe in"!!!....Now there's a quote some politican could have made good use of..hmmmm! ::)

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 09:11:00 am »
OK, so I think a good compromise would be a nice Patagonia Powder bowl jacket like this-? Sweet jacket, goes to the frontisde and backside look....  (Gary, look!  there's orange on it!!)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:12:39 am by Ron »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 09:31:58 am »
Curses...you have found the perfect jacket....lust, want, covet....all emotions that come to mind...

FOR SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!  ::) I stand fast, holding my ground....knowing.. ..I am orange.....today... I am orange!

See if they have it in a medium and let my secret santa know!  >:D  ;D

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 10:08:20 am »
they do! It's on sale right now for 280....

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:14:52 am »
Ron BTW...ALice says it's not a race striping on the helmet it's cross stiching..
Not sure where I'm going with that...

Except she says the helmet is "change you can believe in"!!!....Now there's a quote some politican could have made good use of..hmmmm! ::)

G

Reading between the lines a bit, but sounds like Alice wouldn't mind if you were a "little bit less Orange" --- that the "change you can believe in" would continue,? maybe even until you are a LOT less Orange.
Glad to hear that you are encouraging your secret Santa to pursue the patagonia jacket.? Very nice looking jacket. If they had it in lime green instead of red or orange, I might be interested.?

That would, however, look awesome on you, would be an excellent combination with your masculine Italian skin tones and that wonderful black helmet.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 01:02:54 pm by jim-ratliff »