Author Topic: Phil: In car ski rack?  (Read 399 times)

Glenn

Phil: In car ski rack?
« on: October 29, 2008, 11:17:55 am »
I think it was you who posted a pic on Epic awhile back of rack system for the cargo area of your Subie. Could you post those for me? I'm thinking of fabbing something up in our Grand Cherokee. I'd like to keep the skis off the floor of the cargo area and give them a chance to melt and dry off on the way home. Plus, I just like to build stuff. I just bought a set of ski vises so now I have an excuse to build a workbench.  ;D

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Phil: In car ski rack?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:55:43 pm »
Glenn, you want them to drip dry untethered? What a kind soul you are.

Phil has got to be the go to guy for we anal type guys.

Now make sure you wipe them down and paste wax them for each ride home from the resort.

It needs a name:

Internal  Drip Dry Hanging Ski Rack....The proverbial IDDHSR....let's get this thing patented and buy a ski resort! I'm IN!

G

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:06:32 am »

Simple PVC pipe, cost me about 20.00 in materials.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 07:33:09 am »
Wow...I mean that is soooooo cool...some PVC pipe (looks like 1 3/4") , some pipe insulation, some pipe caps, some PVC "t's",and PVC cement.

Phil...ya better get a patent quick. If I might add an observation to your obvious brilliance Phil....a sudden stop might launch torpedo tubes 1, 2 & 3. Some kind of device (bungee cords) to secure them to the rack might prevent premature launching and you know how we hate if that happens!? >:D

Best,
G
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:37:09 am by Gary »

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 08:35:11 am »
Wow...I mean that is soooooo cool...some PVC pipe (looks like 1 3/4") , some pipe insulation, some pipe caps, some PVC "t's",and PVC cement.

Phil...ya better get a patent quick. If I might add an observation to your obvious brilliance Phil....a sudden stop might launch torpedo tubes 1, 2 & 3. Some kind of device (bungee cords) to secure them to the rack might prevent premature launching and you know how we hate if that happens!? >:D

Best,
G

I was using bungies but found I really didn't need them. Even during hard braking, everything was solid, at least the way I had it wedged in, nit an issue. Now to revamp this for the new Subie. I only need to have 4-6 pair max now.

Glenn

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 08:40:41 am »
Thanks Phil! The wheels are spinning in my head. I'm thinking of building something similar....but out of wood. I'd notch the wood so you could put the skis in resting sideways. I just need a dato head blade for the table saw. Maybe I've been watching too much "New Yankee Workshop" on DIY lately.....  :P

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 08:49:17 am »
Glenn....Might I suggest a hybrid version....building in total wood makes it cumbersome to move in and out and cuts into the gas mileage.

Certainly a notched piece of wood could keep the skis from sliding forward...

Hmmm...what other material could one use instead of wood..

Plexiglass..1/2 "

Rubber block

Petrified Bone....hey, now there's a gem!

G

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 07:36:22 pm »
He could whittle it out of a solid piece of wood are carve it out of a solid piece of granite.

Glenn

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 07:44:29 pm »
Not a bad idea Gary! I could always go with a larger PVC pipe for the cross members...just use a reducer for the fatter stuff. See, I knew building that potato launcher would come in handy some day!  :D

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 08:36:47 pm »
Tomorrow I am going to make one for the Forester, this one will only hold 5-6 and will be behind the driver on the 40 side if the 60/40 fold down. Will post pics when done.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 05:07:10 am »
I am voting for elk antler....

Very cool and i think Gary's right about the patent.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 07:39:50 am »

I think carbon fiber is the way to go.  Better gas mileage due to the reduced weight.  Greater strength, and the look would be awesome.

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 08:22:53 am »

I think carbon fiber is the way to go.? Better gas mileage due to the reduced weight.? Greater strength, and the look would be awesome.

But not as good as transparent aluminum.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 08:49:15 am »
Geez guys if we're talking high tech materials...we got Kevelar (could serve duel purposes) and titanium...

Still, I'm pushing for the hybrid version...Hmmmm.... I do like Carbon fiber...

Hey Glenn, ....any neighbors leaving their carbon fiber bike out in the rain?

Phil...you're building another ski rack...I'm telling you guys.....I think you're all on to something here....Patent time!

make it light, make it affordable,.....and yes...make it rich!  ;D

G

Glenn

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 07:15:59 pm »
My 10+ year old mt bike is carbon fiber. But I've taken a liking to riding it again.  :D