Author Topic: The Cold SHoulder  (Read 145 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
The Cold SHoulder
« on: October 24, 2008, 02:02:52 pm »
It's that time of year, the "Shoulder Season"....that no mans land between summer sports and winter sport, well at least in this part of the country.

It's the time where after dinner, it's usually damp and dark out, I head to my work shop and work on skis, mine, the kids, friends. When i've done them all, I do mine again.

My boots which are parked next to my exercise equipment in the gym for inspiration, take the trek to the first floor. A good ski movie or any movie, the tootsies return to their favorite caves...ah...das boot!

The ski bag get's brought up from the cedar closet, unpacked to see if there's something I really need knowing there isn't. I think it's the physical inventory part that makes me feel right, yes, I know, a big leap. My dresser has the camera, the FRS energy cubes, the cards and the noise cancellors all ready to be packed into the boot bag. The ski coat and ski pants are in my closet where I can see them each day....man am I bit nuts....thinking about skiing every 6 minutes.....

Yeah I know it's the Shoulder season with the cold weather here now in the 30's at night with lots of frost and calling for snow next week. I'd forgo the perfect turkey to ski here Thanksgiving morn.....I need an intervention, I'm in crisis...each year at this time....the "Cold Shoulder Season" has arrived.

All this and sliding and dinning with some of my best ski buds who are as or nearly as passionate (crazy) about this sport as me. Yes I'm not alone...there are "others" out there.

THis gives me solice!

best,
G

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Glenn

Re: The Cold SHoulder
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 06:02:44 am »
That sums it up nicely Gary! Just a few more weeks....

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 06:56:53 am »
Thanks Glenn..

Hey any forecast when your local resorts will be opening? They're forecasting snow here this week but a month too early for Bristol Mountain to open.

Best,
Gary

Glenn

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 06:16:32 am »
Mt. Snow had a small terrain park open early last week. It was free...you had to hike. I think the rain over the weekend cut down the amount of snow they had though. I've heard that they plan on opening in mid November. They said they want to open with a few top to bottom runs and one full terrain park.  8)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 11:53:53 am »
Hoping they get open for you. They're looking for snow here tomorrow. None of it will stick cause the weather is going to be above freezing.

Would be nice if we could open by Thanksgiving....

Come on cold weather and precip!

G
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 01:45:51 pm by jim-ratliff »

Glenn

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 10:07:51 am »
I think we're looking at mid November. Which isn't that far off. They may get a few inches of snow up there tonight. But this storm may dump in ton in PA and NY state.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 12:19:35 pm »
Yes, I've been hearing that too...Tug Hill is looking at maybe getting a foot of snow.

We'll be just getting "teaser" snow.....

Thinking we're 25-30 days away from getting the skis on the hill here...hope so anyways.

G

Glenn

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 10:04:58 am »
I think Hunter had a foot of snow? I know Bellraye had close to two! Some guys on AlpineZone went for a hike and skied down. Two feet of snow in October in the northeast. That's just awesome.  8)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 10:42:49 am »
we got 5"  :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D