Author Topic: Supershape Verses RX8  (Read 941 times)

buck

Supershape Verses RX8
« on: December 01, 2006, 04:16:51 pm »
I hear a lot of good things about both the Head Supershape and the Fischer RX8, which one is the better choice? Has anyone had the chance to try both? I have the Supershapes but only have a few runs on them.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Barrettscv

Re: Supershape Verses RX8
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 05:19:44 pm »
Will peace & harmony be broken at Ski Forums.com? ;)?

These two models target the same athletic on-piste skiers, but the skis are distinctive.

I have not skied the Supershape. The RX8 has a light & lively feel and produces a wide range of turns on ice, hardpack or ankle deep snow. It likes to be on edge, carving from one turn to the next. The ski rewards aggressive input, but can also provide a relaxed ride when the skier takes a mental break.

The ski is easy to use and "coaches" better skiing; while thrilling the skier with huge edgegrip, great snow feel and quick reflexes.

Cheers,

Michael
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 05:26:35 pm by Barrettscv »

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 07:05:05 pm »
I own the Head SS's and I have been on RX8's. They are both truly great skis. One immediate and noticeable difference is that the SS's are sandwich construction/race laminate/vertical sidewall. For me this always has a distinct feel, which I love and I like the feel of SS's better than the RX 8's. Edge hold is superb on both skis. Turn radius is quite a bit tighter on the SS's, and they have a real slalom carver feel, although capable of wider turn shapes. They are both amazingly versatile skis and both can be skied easiliy in up to a foot of powder.

I love a tight turn radius and this is another reason that I love the SS's. I would say that it is a somewhat demanding ski. You have to work to skid them as the ski tracks once it is put on edge. I think the RX 8's are easier to skid and in general they are a more forgiving ski.

Hook up is lightening fast on SS with the wide tips.

Personally, I find the SS's to be the best and most fun all mountain carving skis in existence. I think the RX 8's are great skis, more user friendlly, less high end performance, equal all mountain versatility.

If you love Stockli skis, my guess is that you will prefer the SS's to the RX 8's. JB.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 07:01:16 am »
Buck, you have broken the silent rule here, we don't compare super powers, This is like, Russia vs. the USA in the 80's. I beleive the term at the time was "detante" :) 

OK, I have not skied the 8's but did own the SC's and Gary will chime in I hope. As said above, these two skis are perhaps the best skis on the front side ever; No doubt. I will not say that erither is better because its not a mater of better, its a matter of which you like better. This sounds diplomatic but its the truth.  The SS in a 170 is a Ferrari, its a stiff, technical ski that is not forgiving and with the vert walls is very precise, its not a skidding ski and do not get caught in the backseat. That said,, its amazingly versitile, super fast edge to edge but can make medium and long turns without fighting you like Metron B5 does.  Read my review in the Head section on both the SS (and 82 for that matter- also note I wrote both reviews before Peters reviews).  Some my differ but I will say the SS is a more demanding technical ski. The 8 is a bit more fun oriented but not less capable.

The 8's I will leave up to others but it is another fantastic ski.

Barrettscv

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 07:29:31 am »
Hi Everyone,

Ron, that's a great answer, and not only because it's diplomatic.

To carry the supercar analogy one step further; The Supersport is an exotic (like a Ferrari) and the RX8 is a different kind of exotic (BMW M5).

Just because the M5 is easier in traffic doesn't mean that its less capable on the Autobahn? ;D .

I also completely agree with J.B. that a sandwich ski has a totally different feel than the RX8 which is a modified sandwich construction. My WC RC (112-66-97mm) has a completely different feel than the RX8 (115-66-98mm). The RX8 will carve with 100% of the precision and 90% of the edgegrip of the WC RC. But the RX8 will permit skidding without chatter and is far more versatile. IMO a very good skier can take advantage of the RX8 and get all of the performance of a sandwich ski while having the freedom to skid a turn every now and then.

However, there is something compelling about a sandwich skis edgegrip that makes these skis desirable.

Cheers,

Michael

« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 10:18:22 am by Barrettscv »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 08:18:09 am »
YEs, agreed 100%, I am calling Gary now to get him to add his .02. I have to also agree that the vert sandwich construction is the biggest diff.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 08:43:32 am »
Ding dong...I'm in..

Ok guys...here's my take as I have skied both and currently on the RX8s.

As I see it the "weight" of the issue here is what I see as a BMI index.
Now I think there should be a BMI (body mass index) established for each ski. Must call Peter on this.

At 155lbs, I found the RX8's more compliant. The edge hold on both skis was fierce. I am at a loss though because at 175lbs, I may have liked the SS better. I think that demo centers should have fat suits available so we could be more exact in our ability to judge a ski. So, if I wanted to know with my ski skills what a ski performed like at 200lbs, I could just whip on a 45lbs fat suit. Hmm, franchise opportunity!

After testing the SS, I really felt their performance was on par with the RX8's. Truly, the only differences I felt was that at my weight, the SS required more input and that it seemed to be happier making more turns, I'm sure the turn part is the result of? it's Playboy centerfold dimensions.

I do know that Harold loves his SS and he weighs in about my body weight...but hey, he's Harold.

There's no question in my mind these are 2 awesome skis. It really boils down to how the ski responds to your ski skills and the resulting performance you expect.

Oh yeah.....I think the RX8 has prettier colors!

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 08:47:34 am »
OK, I'm a boot length of 304, can anyone swap with me?

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 09:54:08 am »
Yes sireeee bob..

I'm a 307....

You be testing the RX8's for yourself come next week!

G

buck

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 08:24:42 am »
I had the chance to put some time on my Supershapes (170cm) yesterday. Conditions were rock hard and very fast. The Supershapes are very smooth, very fast, have exceptional grip, are quick turning and very lively! I'm a guy who likes a ski that if your going 100mph, I want it to feel like I'm going 100mph, the Supershape is that ski!!! To the point that they were scary fast and unstable at speed. The slope was smooth but had some ripples near the bottom, when you hit this section the skis came totally unglued requiring more than one Bode type save! I switched over to my 07 Fischer Worldcup RC's (175's) and had no problem at the same speeds in the same section, they were glued to the snow. For my weight (215 lbs) the 170cm Supershapes were maybe a little soft at speed on very hard snow. Under these conditions I didn't get a chance to test the ski's versatility. I bought the ski primarily for skiing smaller slopes at slower speeds with my son. I have the Fischers and a pair of Head XRC 1200's for the bigger, faster runs such as this one. To be honest I liked my Rossignol 9S Oversizes that the Supershapes replaced better at this point.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 09:17:23 am »
you liked the mushy Rossi's over the Stiff SS's??????????????????????????????????

Unstable at speed???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

buck

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 09:43:45 am »
No mush at 173cm! Very versatile ski, edge hold could be better. I haven't given up on the Supershapes don't worry. :'(

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 10:15:45 am »
Hey what ever floats your boat.  Do you ski old racea style or new style?

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 11:19:29 am »
hey Buck, you might consider jumping on a pair of the longer SS models.

I know according to the Head.com web site, they? can be purchased in a 175, 177 and 184 length.

Just thought about this.....you might be overpowering that 170 length.

Ron is 175lbs and skis them in the 170 length. I ski the RX8 in a 170 length at 155lbs. My son, 6'3, 255lbs skis it in a 180. Now we are not in the gates with these but they are our most all conditions go fast skis.

Seems you like everything about the SS except the stability issue.......I'm thinking length might be the answer.

Gary

buck

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 12:26:32 pm »
The longest length available in the Supershape is a 175cm, the Supershape Speed is available in 177cm and 184cm. I have the Speeds in 177cm (more GS) and they ski great, I wanted the Supershapes(more slalom like) shorter. I was trying to create the ultimate Head quiver, SL, GS and all mountain! I pretty much have to stick with the 170's at this point, I have a brand new pair of 2006 170cm SS's (For Sale) and a pair of 2007's 170 SS's used twice.  The 175's would work better for me no doubt but in that length they become too similar to my Fischer Worldcup RC's (175cm) and 177cm SS Speeds, I was trying to mix it up a bit!