Author Topic: New Technology: What will they think of Next?  (Read 130 times)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
New Technology: What will they think of Next?
« on: October 11, 2008, 09:19:31 am »
This is a pretty cool approach to the reverse camber/rocker phenomenon. Rossignol is introducing 2 skis that they call Dual Camber. Hit a switch and the ski has tip rocker (not sure about tail) and it also flattens the camber on the rest of the ski. By releasing the camber RC switch the ski returns to traditional camber. It actually looks pretty easy to switch it back and forth, so theoretically you ski some fresh and right when you hit the groomer to head back to the lift, you flip the switch and carve rails home!!

Obviously, if it is done well, it could be an awesome tool, with incredible versatility. If done poorly, it could suck in both positions. Still. I like the concept and I like that companies are thinking and putting $ into R&D.

Here is the link to the Rossi site where they have 2 dual camber skis.

http://www.rossignol.com/JP/ski-men-skis-freeride.html

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
Re: New Technology: What will they think of Next?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:03:33 am »
I think we will see all heels as a variation of the "Knee Binding"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:23:09 am »
this is pretty cool and a possible solution to the whole problem.  I am not a fan of the whole switch thing expecially if you have to click out to switch the ski. I don't know if you have to do this on these. Very interesting stuff though,

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 03:42:26 pm »
As the baby boomers age and the non-boarding skiing public ages, I would expect to see innovations that prolong the skiing experience for older skiers.

For example, I have seen some shock absorbing gizmo's worn by older skiers at Vail that supported/cushioned the upper leg directly rather than relying totally upon muscle tone and strength.

Also, as powder skiing becomes easier due to ski width, I expect some resorts to come up with ways to broaden/control the powder experience; probably by modifying the grooming machines to fluff up 12" of powder rather than packing it down flat to courderoy.? Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult, sort of like roto-tilling your garden.

Artificial snow, so that resorts can continue to be ski resorts as the climate warms.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 03:47:37 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 07:29:31 am »
That butt support thing is pretty funny! I used to see a bunch of guys at Beaver Creek with those. It's kinda like a tripod that supports your quads. I think many would benefit from a properly fit boot a few fewer pounds on the gut (4 pounds of stress on the kness for each 1 pound) and few minutes of excercise!  I love your tilling idea to keep snow softer. I am sensing a patent here!!!! good idea.

Glenn

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 08:12:14 am »
Wow, that's pretty slick. It'll be interesting to see if other brands come out with something like this.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 08:38:05 am »
Well, it started with the powder bands that came out 3 seasons ago. I think it was soli? they had two different bands you could install on the ski for differing performance. Then the Tigershark came out with the 2 postion switch. Now its a 3 position.  The new Volkl Grizzly aslo has a swtich on it.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 11:01:35 am »
It will be interesting to see how the frontside/backside capabilities of the ski are rated.  Definitely innovative, if they can tune it in to have two good skis, it may redefine the one ski quiver.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 11:07:50 am »
maybe 2 ski,