Author Topic: Which All Condition Ski would You Buy?  (Read 1217 times)

buck

Which All Condition Ski would You Buy?
« on: November 29, 2006, 08:46:46 pm »
I'm looking for an all conditions (resort) ski and I'm unsure of which one to buy. Living in the midwest I don't want any thing too fat, 76mm is the maximum length I would consider. I live in and ski primarily Minnesota with a once a year trip out west. I ski mostly hard pack, ice and groomers but want something that can handle the rare trip into the deep, crud and spring slop. My choices are the Stockli Stormrider XL, Rosignol Z9, Fischer AMC 76, Volkl AC3, Nordica Hod Rod Modified and the Elan Magfire 12. I have a strong preference for vertical side wall ski's and I'm leaning toward the Stocklis in 174cm which I have demoed on hard pack only and loved. I have also demoed the Z9 in 170cm in a variety of conditions and it found it worked ok in most conditions. The others I have no experience with. I'm 5' 9" 210lbs and love skiing fast on hard snow and ice, I struggle in soft snow and crud. Would ski and length would you suggest?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Which All Condition Ski would You Buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 04:41:48 am »
Buck, if this is for the once a year trip, then I would tell you to rent unless of course, you want ot buy something. Are you saying you want just one ski or are you looking for a a second pair to accomapny the hard snow ski? In my opinion, you only need two skis; one with a 66-68mm waiste and then something around 78-84. Skis like the Supershape, Rx8 will handle anything up tp boot high  powder and some crud. If its' wet mashed paotoatoes and then I break out my 82's and blast on through. Skiing crud and slop is  skill oriented as well so the ski will help only to some degree.

so here's my summary based on assumptions- note I don't know your skill level, speed is irrelevant.

1-ski, hmm, not a fan of a one-ski quiver but rx-8 or Supershape in a 170. Rent skis if you have real powder over a foot or real mashed or slop. If you must, then I would look at Elan Magfire 10 instead, a Head IM72, Atomic Metron M11/b5,Volkl AC3, Hot rod or Nitro

2 quiver- much better- Supershape or Rx8.  Best two skis on the market. Then, Head 82, AC3/4, Elan 666,hot rod nitrous, Rossi B3, Atomic Sweet daddy-

Barrettscv

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 06:22:05 am »
Hi Buck,

Its vaguely apparent from your other thread that you have the Fischer WC RC, Please confirm.

If this is the case, I would develop a two ski quiver that included the WC RC for hard snow.

Like Ron Indicated, the second ski should be wider than 76mm, especially considering your size.

On your next trip out west demo the Head Monster i.M 82 and the Volkl AC4.

Cheers,

Michael

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 06:48:34 am by Barrettscv »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 07:03:30 am »
The Fischer RC is a great ski, it is very similar to the 8, it's a keeper. You could go for a RX8 for a bit more versitility. The Elan 12 or 10 would my other choice, as said above.

buck

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 08:13:30 am »
You are all correct, I own the Worldcup RC's in 175cm which I use pretty much strictly for racing. I also own a pair of Head Supershapes in 170cm (I actually have two, one is for sale) which I use on smaller slopes when I want to take it easier and in more varied conditions (I find them somewhat soft). I'm not into the one ski quiver, I also own a pair of 07 Head XRC 1200's in 177cm for use on larger slopes for more aggressive skiing on hard snow. Living in the midwest we don't get a lot of snow, man made hard pack and ice are the norm. The ski I'm looking to add would be used once a year out west, skiing lake effect snow in the northern portion of the state as well as spring slop and slush which starts here in February. I don't want a real wide ski, I wouldn't use it enough to justify it. I travel for business in the northern portion of the state and always pack the ski's, you just never know what conditions you will face and I travel light. I want one pair that will do it all as well as handle the once a year trip out west. When I go west I mainly ski the longer fast groomed runs but eventually on the trip it snows and there is always crud to deal with. I'm not really into soft snow and crud, I want a ski that will rip the groomed runs but get me through the crud with the least amount of effort!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 08:14:51 am »
head 82

buck

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 08:38:03 am »
I live in the midwest, 68mm is a wide ski by our standards! ;D I really don't want to go wider than 76mm, I want the versatility. I prefer hard snow as sick as that may sound, I just want a tool that will work in the event I have to ski in soft snow and crud.

Barrettscv

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 09:07:26 am »
You are all correct, I own the Worldcup RC's in 175cm which I use pretty much strictly for racing. I also own a pair of Head Supershapes in 170cm (I actually have two, one is for sale) which I use on smaller slopes when I want to take it easier and in more varied conditions (I find them somewhat soft). I'm not into the one ski quiver, I also own a pair of 07 Head XRC 1200's in 177cm for use on larger slopes for more aggressive skiing on hard snow. Living in the midwest we don't get a lot of snow, man made hard pack and ice are the norm. The ski I'm looking to add would be used once a year out west, skiing lake effect snow in the northern portion of the state as well as spring slop and slush which starts here in February. I don't want a real wide ski, I wouldn't use it enough to justify it. I travel for business in the northern portion of the state and always pack the ski's, you just never know what conditions you will face and I travel light. I want one pair that will do it all as well as handle the once a year trip out west. When I go west I mainly ski the longer fast groomed runs but eventually on the trip it snows and there is always crud to deal with. I'm not really into soft snow and crud, I want a ski that will rip the groomed runs but get me through the crud with the least amount of effort!

You are talking to the right people! ;D

Check my reviews under the Head & Volkl section at this forum. The AC4 and (I assume) the Monster 82 will be suitable. These wide skis are very agile under the feet of a good skier.

Cheers,

Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 09:14:47 am »
Yup, I have the RF mounted on my 82's and I can rip a mean line with them. It takes a few runs to adjust but once you get the feel, the sandwich construction-vertical walls can carve some mean turns for sure. If you want versitility, then there's no point in going to a ski with mid 70's underfoot. Personally, I ski my Supershapes in almost everyhting but if it gets sloppy and wet or over 8" then the 82's come out. Otherwise there's just too much cross-over with a ski that's in the 70's and not enough advantage when it gets real heavy or deep.

buck

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 10:28:36 am »
That makes a lot of sense but I just don't see myself getting that much use out of the 82's, I do prefer a vertical side wall however. I'm really leaning toward the Stockli Stormrider XL's, I've only skied them on hard pack and they were great, I'm not sure how effective they are in powder and crud? My previous "wide" ski was 70mm underfoot and they were ok (not great), I'm thinking 75mm should be a step up for me! I prefer a less shapely longer radius ski when I do go out west, the Stockli in 174cm is 18.5 radius verse 12.1 on the 170cm Supershape.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 10:40:25 am »
I am confused then, I thought you wanted a ski for crud and pow? FWIW- the 82 has a 17.7R. What are you gaining with a 75 whe it gets deep and sloppy that a RX8 or SS can't handle? I thin you shoudl demo, don't let the 82 mm underfoot put you off, they are not ponderous, they are still quick and nimble.

Barrettscv

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 10:42:20 am »
Buck,

You need to demo, These 82mm skis are great, IF? you already are an excellent skier.

Cheers,

Michael

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 10:50:36 am »
my bet is that Buck is an excellent skier but coming from a race mentatility (not a bad thing) the 82 is putting him off. I think if he got on them he would see how nimble they are. With the vert walls and sandwich construction, they don't act or feel like a bit fat 2x4 on your feet. You know it and I know it but until you try them......

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 02:28:04 pm »
Buck...Give the Head IM 72 and the IM 77 a demo. I owned and skied  the 75's, 77's, and now moved up to the 82's as my 2nd quivver ski. I'm 5'81/2 and 155lbs.

I skied with an instructor at Aspen who used his IM 72 for his every day ski and he loves the bumps, powder and crud.

He's about your weight but a bit shorter.

Gary

buck

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 02:37:27 pm »
We don't have much for demos in Minnesota, when we do there isn't much in the way of powder or crud to test them. Most of the skis that are offered for demos are the typical skinny carving skis. I will definately try the 82's if I can find some, you sold me!