Author Topic: Lynns new ski choices?  (Read 858 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Lynns new ski choices?
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 12:24:23 pm »
Lynn, although I am OCD, and so many other acronyms fit, I know what i like in a ski so at this point its a lot easier and i feel comfortable when gary, phil or some others describe a ski I know what they like and ho whtey ski, I can relate that to what I like. SO, what does this mean? Well, its my way of saying I don't know really know what you value in the performance envelope and feel of the ski. Are you going for a one-quiver or 2 quiver? I thought you were looking at 2, if only one, that changes the field dramtically, a ski at home on Elk isn't necessarilly going to be happy on soft 4-3" of groomed or powder or crud. I do believe with todays technology you can find a ski that will do everything well enough within reason. I think, and can be wrong (as I often am) you prefer the typical Head feel, damp, a little heavy underfoot but still a precise ski some quickenss:

1 ski:  The "everythang" you will be getting looks very good and I will agree with Jim, it should serve well. I like this as you will be getting it brand new and more than likely, a 09 version.

The Great one I REALLY like especially for out west BUT I think you will prefer something a bit narrower for back east. It's not a huge difference really (using TR as somewhat of an indicator) 122-72-106 current to 123-77-108. I don't know the actual TR's but the main difference will be a slightly delayed response on the hard pack.  The softer the snow, the less of the felt delay. For back east, I would go to the 72 (or even narrower), that's plenty!

Vision vapor, I like the feel of Fischers! Lively, snappy, good energy but still somewhat damp. I like the dims of this ski a lot. 118-76-102. Again, back east....... hard pack.......

Nordica Olympia Drive- Nordica's tend to be a bit heavy but this is a really nice looking ski. 119-74-104. Peter seems to really like it. all "4's" .

If you can, get to a shop and flex and twist these skis. Note hwo they flex from the top and bottom. Note the weight of the ski and the construction, wood core vs. foam. I much prefer wood.  This is a start...

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 12:27:40 pm »
Lynn...I'm sure Ron will chime in here...

But I'm thinking given the review on the Great ONe..(peter uses the triangle...ice)...this could be a great 1 quivver ski for you. At your skli length...it would have a fantastic turning radius. Now if you are of a mind to have 2 pairs of skis, having the Nordica OV could be that ski for big big days.

Ron, it's not the NOrdiac O Drive it's the Nordica O Victory that is the wide ski...

Still, I'm thinking tell Head to keep that damaged ET and send you a new Great ONE!

Gary
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:30:02 pm by Gary »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 12:32:32 pm »
we posted at the same time!

OCD boys think alike!

I like gary's idea of asking for the other ski but I am just little concerned about the 77 underfoot for out here on boiler plate? Is this just me forgetting what that's like?  ;)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 12:45:31 pm »
Let me clarify:
Am thinking of upping the ante to a two ski quiver.
ET's for eastern skiing/ some other ski as my "powder/western" ski.
I am also not remembering dims well. Thought Nordica was wider.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 12:47:46 pm »
make sure you like the feel of Nordica's first!  good thinking and if you can go to two, do so. 78-84....softer flex or progressive flex.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 01:05:06 pm »
Nice pick Jim! I like! Just make sure you like the feel. (have I said that before? :) )

gregmerz

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 01:28:58 pm »
Women's head skis on Tramdock NOW...

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2008, 03:16:57 pm »
Oh well, missed it!! :( Was out doing a short bike ride. :)
What skis were they??
"Play it Sam"

gregmerz

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2008, 05:16:49 pm »
Every Thang and Sweet Fat Thang.? Who thinks up these names? ????

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2008, 07:00:02 pm »
Well, I bought the Every Thangs at last season's near end.
Might have been tempted by the Sweet Fat thang.
Hmmm, could I , would I have been able to be on skis with that name??? ;D ;D
"Play it Sam"

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2008, 07:36:55 pm »
I will find out next week what the verdict from Head is.
Yes, I read the reviews of the Great One. highly rated in a couple of places.

Here's my thoughts: Keep the ET/Every One (whichever one won't cost me). The dims on this are right for the northeast.
For a powder ski: Nordica Olympia Victory. Has a waist of 84 and very highly rated.
I am thinking that would be the ski to demo. Reviews indicate that it might not be as stiff as the Noridica I demoed last year
which turned me off.

The Great one has a wider waist, but the ski has too much overlap with the ET's and with the wider waist, is probably not what I want for ice/hard pack.
Again, it is the Conquer that is 84 in the waist, not the Victory. Either way, what you didn't like about the Nordies when you tried them last year...they are stiff and not really a good ski in powder. For your size something in the mid/upper 80's would be best. Preferably a flat ski and not a system. Take my thoughts with a grain of salt, I just have had a hand in product design and development of a woman's ski line.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2008, 08:43:27 pm »
Phil:? Thanks. I posted the dimensions listed on Peter's web site with the picture earlier, but you are right about the waist width.? I went and checked the Nordica site and the dimensions they listed don't match what is on the RealSkiers site.? I have also sent a message to Peter about the error.? Guess that makes it a less desirable ski for Lynn as an add-on to her Every Ones.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:49:08 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2008, 08:49:12 pm »
Sooo, disappointing. Thought this might be my powder ski!!!
But Phil, if they are as stiff as the ones I demo'ed last year, then you are right, not for me.

New demo choice: the Fischer Vision Zeal. Waddaya think?
"Play it Sam"

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2008, 04:50:25 am »
Sooo, disappointing. Thought this might be my powder ski!!!
But Phil, if they are as stiff as the ones I demo'ed last year, then you are right, not for me.

New demo choice: the Fischer Vision Zeal. Waddaya think?
Better to find out now than later.

I am not familiar with that model. A ski that I will recommend is the Elan Free Spice. 128/88/108 a womans version on the 888. This years ski has fantastic graphics, but last year is IMHO butt ugly, but good I think Milehigh has demos cheap. See of they will sell them to you w/o bindings. Whiteroom might have a 159 Blizzard Eos leftover, that is also a real nice Powder option. Volkl Qheen Atttivas too.

Glenn

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2008, 05:30:14 am »
Women's head skis on Tramdock NOW...

I thought there was another pair up there yesterday afternoon as well...I can't recall which ones they were though.  I'll keep my eyes peeled today.  8)