Author Topic: Lynns new ski choices?  (Read 855 times)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Lynns new ski choices?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 06:34:47 pm »
I bought the goats because they were a very good deal and I didn't want to loose out on them in cas I decided to keep them. I Typically am able to ski them for a season for very little loss. The key is not to keep them long, once past 2 years the value is significantly lost. Unless you love the ski and don't want to try something else, dump it.

Ron (she says a bit petulantly)
THis thread is about Lynn's ski choice. Not Ron's ski choice. Lets stay focused here. It's not always about YOU!!
It's about you a LOT, but this is my itsy, bitsy, teeny, tiny little thread.

I know YOUR ski choices need to command a great deal of space, but hey, give the rest of us a little thread space!!!

;D >:D ;D >:D ;D

"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 03:25:21 pm »
Lynn:? I think you will find this amazing and reassuring.? Maybe you actually know what you are talking about.? ?8) 8)

Under SkiPress's category All-Mountain Performance, the top 8 women?s skis, in order, were:

Rossignol Attraxion VI
Head Every One
Fischer Vision Vapor
Atomic Nomad Whiteout
Roxy JoyRider
Volkl Attiva Sol
Nordica Olympia Victory
Dynastar Contact 10

The text below the Every Thang/One:
Our third place finisher (a typo, it?s on the page in second place) is Head?s Every One, a ski so easy to turn, edge, and ski, it earned consistently high marks across the scoreboard.? Women testers especially liked the ski?s long and short turn versatility, its steadiness in chopped-up snow, and its willingness to quickly forgive mistakes.? Sounds like a ski for EveryOne.

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 09:06:29 pm »
Uh, Jim, if I remember correctly, you pushed me to demo the ET's.
 Kept sending me reviews from various publications.

Yes, you were right!!!
Damn, I hate that.

Given what I have heard of others experience with Head, I would not be surprised if I get this years model (Every One),
instead of a repair. And frankly, I don't think these are really repair material. The screws pulled out of the core, they did not untwist.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 07:19:40 am »
Yes, but think powder...... ???

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 07:24:57 am »
Are you thinking this years or a leftover ski?

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 07:30:16 am »
Uh, Jim, if I remember correctly, you pushed me to demo the ET's.

Wellll, yes, but that was strictly self preservation. ?;D
After schlepping around your iC160's at Steamboat last year, the main thing I heard about the ET's was how LIGHT they were. ?
And when you mentioned how hard it is for you to acclimate to altitude, I noted how LIGHT they were. ?
And when you found that Harald and Diana just "happened" to have a pair at camp for sale/demo, well that was just DESTINY. ?:) :)
But thank your for the compliment none-the-less.

Let's see, 72" waist for a 115 lb body, that's probably equivalent to a 100" waisted ski for my 200 lb body? ???
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:39:15 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 07:44:25 am »
NO, No, No, it's not that simple ;)

It's not a simple equation, you would have to incorporate the flex pattern throughout the ski; taper rate from tip to mid-ski and mid-ski to tail, desgin of tail- rounded, straight, PIN, turned or flat. you can't judge a ski's powder ability by just the waist. BTW- 100 is a good big mtn width

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 08:46:03 am »
Ok Ron...yes there probably are other technical factors that apply in the process of selection.....but weight of an individual , the width of their skis as it relates to their boyency factor in powder has got to be a primary factor. I've seen it with Alice in knee high snow, Aspen 2 years ago. She was on a pair of Stokli Spirits ED, I think 66 at the waist and she was knee deep in the powder as I was on my Head IM77's. My mind is a sponge.....feed it more knowledge please.

Lynn...I would hope that Head will replace that ski if the screws tore out. The 2009 version is the Head Every One...same dims...122-72-106. Now they also added a new ladies ski this year touted as an all mountain ski called the Head Great One....123-77-109. Peter's tests gave this ski RAVE reviews..Hmmm....it too would have a great turning radius at the 153 and 159 lengths.....Certain ly would give you more float but I would want to make sure you wouldn't be giving anything up on those hardpack eastern days.

G
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:49:12 am by Gary »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 08:56:59 am »
I will find out next week what the verdict from Head is.
Yes, I read the reviews of the Great One. highly rated in a couple of places.

Here's my thoughts: Keep the ET/Every One (whichever one won't cost me). The dims on this are right for the northeast.
For a powder ski: Nordica Olympia Victory. Has a waist of 84 and very highly rated.
I am thinking that would be the ski to demo. Reviews indicate that it might not be as stiff as the Noridica I demoed last year
which turned me off.

The Great one has a wider waist, but the ski has too much overlap with the ET's and with the wider waist, is probably not what I want for ice/hard pack.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:51:19 am by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 09:36:26 am »
yes I agree about the weight is primary but we are talking all mountain ski vs. pow- left overs and that's where flex and torsion begins to factor more heavilly. If someone is looking at a soft snow/ pow ski, it's not just the width, that's all I am saying. case in point, in my do- diligence, I have read a couple reviews of the argos @ 101 having more float than a Goat @ 105. Look at a SS Magnum, 71 wide but floats much better than a stiff race board of a higher waist.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 10:05:47 am »
I just took a look at the mid-fat womens MSA, You gotta love that GREAT ONE, like gary posted, that's a sweet ski. and how appropriate.....  :D

Glenn

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 10:07:22 am »
I have to chuckle at ski waist widths and powder. I skied out in Utah abuot 12-13 years ago on a pair of Rossignol 7s's...basically a straight ski that was more slalom oriented. I managed to have a good time.  ;)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 10:34:51 am »
I agree glenn , When I plow my back 40, i think my mule team does a fine job and when I type? letter on my good ol' selectric, its just fine too.  Why all this fussa bout Gor-tex and breathable fabrics? My cotton jacket and heavy wool pants from good ol' WWII are swell.. Geez, why? all these contraptions that make life easier and more fun....... ???
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 10:36:39 am by Ron »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 10:38:02 am »
I bought the goats because they were a very good deal and I didn't want to loose out on them in cas I decided to keep them. I Typically am able to ski them for a season for very little loss. The key is not to keep them long, once past 2 years the value is significantly lost. Unless you love the ski and don't want to try something else, dump it.

Ron (she says a bit petulantly)
THis thread is about Lynn's ski choice. Not Ron's ski choice. Lets stay focused here. It's not always about YOU!!
It's about you a LOT, but this is my itsy, bitsy, teeny, tiny little thread.

I know YOUR ski choices need to command a great deal of space, but hey, give the rest of us a little thread space!!!

;D >:D ;D >:D ;D

Lynn, now, now, i responded to Glenns post, shouldn't you chastize him?  :)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 11:30:00 am »
Glenn
Ye of the purple, sloshy ski boots.
Let's stay focused here. Ski's for Lynn.
I only have one pair. Actually, since that pair is at Head, I have NONE!!! :o
THis is serious. I am lagging behind in ski acquisition. You all have a PLETHORA of skis.? ;)
I'll NEVER ski better if I don't have new skis!! ::)

Ron
So you think the Great one would be a decent powder ski choice for me??? Based on flex and softness??
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:32:31 am by midwif »
"Play it Sam"