Author Topic: What is you goal for this season?  (Read 443 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: What is you goal for this season?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 08:20:24 am »
Todd, why do you think I don't like PMTS? You woud be very surprised. Just becasue I dont' like someone's behavior or attitude, doesn't mean I don't like the method. The 2 aren't mutally inclusive. I actaully ski using primarilly PMTS methods and use it whenever possible. take a look at the picture to the left, feet close, upper body upright, hands out and level, decent separation of upper body and lower, strong countering. Hmm, what does that describe?

That describes GCSM? (Gary Cassara Skiing Method -- Trademark Pending).? ?;D

Ron (and Lynn, and Jim) have learned a lot from skiing with Gary.? Those that have skied with him more have learned more.? He is an easy teacher, doesn't overwhelm me with advice, willing to say nothing if I'm not willing/wanting to listen.? And, at least on his old jacket, had a PMTS patch sewed to the shoulder.

Supporting Ron here.? In posts long ago on a RealSkiers bullentin board system far, far away, (that crashed and they found they had NO backup) Ron often compared notes from his annual ski week at Beaver Creek (I think the instructors were foreign/Austrian?) and little vignettes of PMTS and found that there was a fair amount of common ground.? So, although he hasn't personally attended a class, there is a lot of PMTS like skills from a couple of sources in his skiing.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:41:21 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 08:44:55 am »
Thanks Jim ( I really appreciate it), I may not be a be a big HH fan but I do fully support his product. There is no better method out there IMHO, but there are better methods for differing conditions and terrain for me and others and I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to have a tool kit to utilze to make skiing more enjoyable. (and survivable) Yes, my instructor at Beaver creek, Ross Taylor was an Aussie natl coach we used many nearly identical drills and principles, funny thing was, he had never heard of PMTS. It's all good.

GARY IS MY HH....... ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:56:13 am by Ron »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008, 08:53:25 am »
Hey Todd

Think about joining us at a possible Okemo outing this winter. It's not Killington, but some fun can definitely be had!
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008, 09:31:29 am »

GARY IS MY HH....... ;D

;D  ;D  ;D  Yes, I know what you mean.  I've seen that fiery Italian temper in action!!   ;D  ;D  ;D

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

ToddW

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2008, 09:35:12 am »
Ron,

My sincerest apologies.? My honest intent was not to offend you or push PMTS in your face after recent events, but it backfired ... bigtime.

I actually noticed your avatar photo my first time on this forum.? Through my pmts-colored lenses I saw a lot of pmts, but I mentally categorized it as "good skiing" without any more specific label because I didn't want to carry around a label in my head for your skiing that you might consider offensive (now I know better).?

As you probably know, your and Phil's banning has been mentioned several times on VS1's blog, and an anonymous commenter acting like one of the banned individuals made some very negative comments about not only Harald personally but also about PMTS technique.? It was anonymous, so there's no way of telling who really wrote it.? When you posted "what about the other turns" I wasn't sure if you were teasing me or taking a dig at PMTS, so I tried to answer both.? Again, now I know and respect your position and am sorry that in my ignorance I offended you.

Gary is my HH ....? ;D

I hope to meet your HH some day.? Midwif was spreading his reputation last year at the Blue / Dark Blue camp. ?You might be interested to know that my HH is Diana.? Personally, I get along with HH well but I learn best from Diana.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2008, 10:53:01 am »
no appologies necessary.  really. its not me at the blog. i dont even go there, i am very much against any of the arguing from any side. a little respect for each other goes a long way. I didn't know my name is/was bantered about and few really know wht happened anyway. It really isn't important, I really only care about the opinioins of my friends. I hop eot ski with you this season and have some laughs together.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 11:02:46 am »
Hey gang...as always you guys are the best......it really is a blast to take what I've learned and share with those interested. Watching our group improve as a whole each year has been a thrill for me. We all continue to learn and enjoy....

Whether you like HH, Diana, John Clendenin or your local ski instructor.....find what works for your most pleasure on the mountain.....

Just for the record...I think our group has the biggest smiles on the mountain no matter what we're skiing.

I'm itchn'  ::)

G   ;D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

GARY IS MY HH....... ;D

;D? ;D? ;D? Yes, I know what you mean.? I've seen that fiery Italian temper in action!!? ?;D? ;D? ;D

Now that's funny!!!! Yes, so true....

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2008, 11:48:03 am »
Temper...who me.... ::)

Well....all I can say in defense of myself is     >:D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 12:16:58 pm »
just that one time..... ;)

Glenn

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2008, 06:26:30 am »
We're going to try to get up to VT as often as possible. Hopefully, once a week. We have a week booked up there in Decemeber...we want to book another in February.

My wife wants to keep improving and has stated that she wants to learn to jump this year.

I want to finally learn how to do a 360...but as we used to call it "a helicopter".

Here you go....

Nice work Phil!   Saw Ron in the other vid too.

Philpug

• Ski Shop/Ski Patrol
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2008, 12:28:02 pm »
We're going to try to get up to VT as often as possible. Hopefully, once a week. We have a week booked up there in Decemeber...we want to book another in February.

My wife wants to keep improving and has stated that she wants to learn to jump this year.

I want to finally learn how to do a 360...but as we used to call it "a helicopter".

Here you go....

Thanks and that was on a bigger ski than I would have perfered doing them on,  182 102 waisted stick. Although, back in teh day, I used to do them on 204's (and even some on my 212's), but those days are long over.

When I do one this upcoming year, that should make it 30 years without missing a year of turning a heli.

Nice work Phil!? ?Saw Ron in the other vid too.

Glenn

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2008, 03:45:41 pm »
212's....now that's impressive!  8)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2008, 05:15:58 pm »
that was after about 2 runs on 160-110-130 skis. They turn so easy.