Author Topic: Boots...finally?  (Read 464 times)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Boots...finally?
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2008, 07:05:58 pm »
Glenn
Not to harp at you, but boots that don't need modifications are generally boots that are too big.
Hopefully, I am wrong and you have one of those great foots.

I think that all will agree that it would be great to meet and ski with you this coming season!
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

Glenn

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2008, 10:27:25 am »
No problem. I can't see these boots needing much more than a footbed...if it even comes to that. Time will tell. I'm just excited to get something on my feet that are fairly new.  ;D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2008, 01:36:43 pm »
No problem. I can't see these boots needing much more than a footbed...if it even comes to that. Time will tell. I'm just excited to get something on my feet that are fairly new.? ;D

yes, all boots need a foot bed. it's not the boot , its your foot. Unless you are in the hyper-rare .00001%  of people who are perfectly alligned without boots on and then remain perfectly alligned with the boots on; and your are neutral and upright in the boot and the cuff is adjusted properly, you will still more than likely, even with all the above, need a properly constructed foot bed. I am beginning to believe you are just seeing how far you can perpetuate this joke?  Please say yes...

Glenn

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2008, 10:06:53 am »
I've honestly never really gone that far into boot fitting. For me, if it fits, I ski it. The purple boots have something in the liner...almost looks like an insert you'd put in your running sneaker. I honestly can't remember what that was put in there for. Again, despite my lack of following the the previously mentioned fitting tecniques, I've really never had any major issues with my boots. The worse problems I had was cold feet. And that was mainly from the pair of Rossi race boots I had at the time. Never again will I get race boots.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2008, 10:51:49 am »
thats a stock footbed, and you should have the same useless one in your new boots. I keep them about 1 minute, the time it takes to pull them out and toss in the trash can along with the rear spolier. If you're happy, fine but once your skiing improves, the differences in a comfy, cruising intermediate fit and a close-fitting (and still comfortable) boot is night and day, no comparison.The performance gain with a properly constructed and fitted foot bed is also essential. This is why you won't find a serious skier who checks thier boots when traveling. They never leave me, I can't replace them without going to a fitter.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2008, 09:43:49 am »
Certainly stock foot beds have gotten better but really don't address the complete need to place the ankle in a neutral position.

Glenn, try this at home....stand in front of a full length mirror in your bare feet so you can see your ankles. Put yourself in a ski stance ( or trance whichever works) and have your wife take a picture from the heel side of your foot position. Now take the stock foot bed and place it under your tootsies and repeat above.

You can post those pictures for us to comment on or study them yourself. If your heel and foot are tipped to the ourside or inside, a foot bed would be EXTREMELY beneficial to improved, more warm and comfortable skiing.

Give it a go and let us know...

Also...like Ron suggested...remove the rear spoiler....makes no sense for all mountain skiing and particularly, park skiing.

G

Glenn

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2008, 10:31:08 am »
Cool. Another excuse to paly with ski gear in the middle of August! I shall see what I can do this weekend!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2008, 10:41:07 am »
they have improved but its still just a flimsy stock bed that wont provide support for the foot when flexing; for instance if his arches collapase as many people's do when flexing, the bed won't support the foot properly. like you said, even  a store bought bed is better. again, if you like the boot fine but if you have it fitted and add some properly built beds, the boot could be so much better.

Glenn

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008, 10:06:52 am »
I didn't get a chance this weekend...But I will look at them eventually.  ;D