Author Topic: New Gear (any kind) Fix is a good thing  (Read 882 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: New Gear (any kind) Fix is a good thing
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2008, 12:10:10 pm »

Moi, had only ONE, MEASLY pair of skis to bring.
I think it was YOU, Ratliff, who had a wardrobe of skis packed in his bag.

Dear Miss Piggy ( ??? Moi):
You are correct that I did indulge and bring two pair of skis.? However, it was amazing to me that your ski bag (with a single pair of skis?) still weighed twice as much as my double pair???? BTW, did you ever get the coffee and the coffee smell out of that ski bag?
Kermit
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 12:12:03 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2008, 12:36:53 pm »
I forgot all about the coffee! Too funny.? Remember, Steamboat Roasters make some decent coffee!? ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 12:38:16 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2008, 07:59:41 pm »
The mistake was bring the round tin of Lavazza!! My new favorite is D'Aquino organic espresso (ground already, I know, I'm not a purist)
This year, I will put it in a zip- loc plastic bag!!! They put something heavy on my ski bag, which bent and burst the can!!
No, I don't think my ski bag will ever be the same. In fact, I got a tube last year. So, again, only ONE pair of skis at RS3. And with the increased costs of luggage on airlines, only ONE ski outfit. (but maybe extra ski pants since I am so scared of sitting on something brown with the white ones!!)
Being too honest here. Giving you guys more fodder for jest.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 09:56:41 pm by midwif »
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2008, 10:21:59 am »
OK, in keeping with the kinder me, just UPS a box of clothing ahead of time or UPS your Sportstube with some clothes packed in it.

Glenn

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2008, 10:07:58 am »
New gear update!

I had a conference in Chicago and my wife came along with me. Walking down the street, some guy ahead of us had one of those "TimbuK2" messenger bags. I almost fell over. I was tempted to ask...but just kept my mouth shut.

I scored a sweet pair of mittens from the Burton store out there; removable liners, leather palm. My last pair of Burton mits have seen better days. But they've held up for over 10 years.

Order a waxing iron from SAC this AM.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2008, 10:53:13 am »
Too funny!  I saw the irons are coming up. I actually don't need one. I am on the lookout for a pair of Hestra 3 finger gloves, They're the one's that look like lobster claws. Good for really cold powder days. The gauntlet is good for blocking the snow out.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2008, 07:02:21 pm »
I have a pair of biking gloves constructed like that. I am sorry to say, I have NEVER used them. If its THAT cold, I am NOT biking.
I am a 'fair weather' biker. Those first couple of miles are just too uncomfortable when its cold. A different dynamic than skiing.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2008, 06:14:07 am »
I have to agree with you on that one! My hands are normally very warm but when you are skiing in JAckson and it's 15 below in the AM with a high of -3, I don't mind a little extra warmth! :) I like mittens but I like the idea of having that index finger free to grab zippers and ski passes and such. If anyone see's those on sale, let me know.

Glenn

« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2008, 10:08:15 am »
I've grown rather fond of hand warmers for the colder days.

I have a set of heated grips on my ATV. Best things evAr.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2008, 10:12:23 am »
oh yeah, I dont knowif you saw the threads from last season on my Hotronic m4 boot heaters?  Best things going. Bought them when I had race plug boots. I use them now in my regular boots but would never dream of not having them. Below zero and the dogs are warm and toasty. Even on normal days 10-20 degrees, you put them on level 2 and they keep the chill out.

Glenn

« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2008, 10:14:25 am »
Bought a set for my wife this year. Her biggest complaint on the coldest day of the year? "My feet are kinda warm." Best $125 I ever spent.  ;D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2008, 10:16:03 am »
Absolutely!  I never thought I would buy them but once i did....