Author Topic: New Gear (any kind) Fix is a good thing  (Read 880 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: New Gear (any kind) Fix is a good thing
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 12:17:03 pm »
Good one! Thanks Gary.  I've got Uvex right now, and have been very happy with their fit, and they also are fog-free.  But in flat light they really don't do much, and I can't see a bump coming until I'm airborne. 

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 12:20:33 pm »
Svend:

Ski poles. ?Check out the Leki trigger poles. ?Instead of a strap attached to the pole, they have straps that wrap around your gloves and then click to the skis  poles. ?I like them much better. ?I can let go of the poles and they stay attached to my hand, and because the straps aren't wrapped around my palm there isn't any dislocated thumb problems.

Smith Sensor Mirror for low light, I agree. ?Smith RC 36 (rose copper) for the rest of the time. ?Since I wear glasses (I know, Lynn, laser surgery) I have the Smith Turbo-Fans that are great for minimizing fogging, even on high humidity days.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 01:03:02 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 12:41:19 pm »
I've heard of the trigger poles, and saw a guy with them at Lake Louise this past January -- they look pretty cool.  My wife has Leki (not trigger), and they are well made - nice poles.  I'll check for the Smith Sensors here -- shouldn't have any problems finding them, as Smith is pretty common here.  Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 05:49:27 pm by Svend »

Glenn

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 08:26:18 am »
I wonder if I should upgrade my boots?  ???

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 01:45:41 pm »
Glenn...I know you said your boots were quite old but comfy!.....

Typically, over time, the liners compress, and certainly our feet change shape as well. In my experience, the better contact your foot has with the shell of the boot, the better response time in the SUBTLE movements of the feet. That's where good carving skills are born.
If you were to be fitted for a new pair of boots, ones that had your ankles neutral in the boot and shins, knees and hips correctly aligned, you might find a new world of response time and less energy expended when skiing.

Still, you might happy with 80mph skis and 10mph steering....just a thought....? ???

Think about it.....I think looking at your pictures of your gear, all kinds...you like good performing stuff, you know what to look for and you take care of it.

Hey, those old boots don't owe you anything at this point....why not find a good boot fitter, find out which boot shell anatomically fits the shape of your foot and matches your current gear to your current performance needs...current is the key word.? ::)

I'm thinking you won't be disappointed.

There is one other idea on a practical note: take your current boots to a boot fitter and have them check out alignment and fit. Hey if they are "the ones" maybe just a new liner like the Intuition.

It's certainly worth checking out....got plenty of time till the bell rings!

Best,
Gary
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 01:48:00 pm by Gary »

Glenn

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 10:32:32 am »
That is my mission this summer...find a good boot fitter! May be hard in flat Connecticut though.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 11:06:52 am »
Glenn, you may have to drive a hour or two , but it's worth it. Did you search the list over at Epic?

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 08:22:21 pm »
I wonder if I should upgrade my boots?  ???

Absolutely NOT! Why put some new fangled contraptions right next to the muscles and bone that actually drive those beautiful new skis!!
Those purple beauties need to keep showing their faces to bluebird days!! Especially on those "retro gear" days at certain mountains. >:D >:D >:D

Glenn, I assume this question was rhetorical. You KNOW the opinion of this board!!! ;D ;D ;D
Aren't you glad you have MONTHS to choose the best boot/fitter??
 :D ;) :D
In the meantime, if SAC shows that stupid knife they must have MILLIONS of, much more, I am going to have to find a new hobby!
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 08:00:19 am »
oh, she's on fire fer sher'   >:D >:D >:D ;D

She's right though....

Glenn

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 10:28:34 am »
LOL @ the knife! How about the TibuK2 messenger bag? That thing has popped up weekly since last winter! "When it's gone...you're SOL!" Well, not really it'll probably come up again if you wait awhile.  :)

I guess I should hit that list on epic....in the boot fitter forum?

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 01:48:26 pm »
yup.....

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 02:26:06 pm »
I feel winter coming on. Well, maybe not quite yet. Gotta get some produce out of the garden and THEN winter can come on.
 Just bought a ski helmet for my son on SAC. Felt good.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 07:14:04 am »
SAC is GOOD!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 07:43:44 am »
Hey Lynn...nice to hear your son is " helmet worthy"!

I've been trying to get my daughter to wear one...she's lives and works in Boulder...

Man, sometimes you just wanna..{P*)#$&#&$_)*

Good job...nice .....can ya call my daughter?

Gary

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 08:59:34 am »
Gary
Zach's helmet wearing comes from within. As he put it "my friends call me "the Dad", because he is always telling them to be careful.
After hearing of two kids death in one season about 11 years ago, Doug and I decided ski helmets were a necessity. We wore them biking and on the motorcycle, so only made sense. My daughter gave one attempt to skip the helmet a few years ago. Told her no helmet, no skiing.

I will Happily give her the talk. Kids never listen to their own parents, so another one might do the job.
"Play it Sam"