Author Topic: OK Svend....spill the beans!  (Read 442 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
OK Svend....spill the beans!
« on: May 14, 2008, 02:10:23 pm »
OK gang...I feel just like the proud Godfather.....guess who has got his first pair of big boy skis.....check this out....from a Europeon ski site:

"Unbelievably this has been quite a tough ski to get your hands on in the UK for the past few seasons. The iSupershape Speed's are one of the best piste-groomer skis available on the market. They are fast, grippy, versatile, well-built, stable, have loads of feel for the snow and I for one have never tired of skiing on them.

Truly superb and if you have ever wanted to try a great pair of carving skis you should grab a pair!"

ALL BRAND NEW for 2009 116 68 100 15m turning radius in a 170 length: Head Superspeeds

Now take a picture and post it so our RS brethren can be enlightened~

Best,
G

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: OK Svend....spill the beans!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 06:09:25 pm »
Gee, Gary...hate to tell you this bud, but I already let the cat out of the bag earlier today, in reply to one of Ron's threads (see the 2nd post):  http://skiforums.org/rev2/index.php?topic=1353.0
And, come to think of it, you were part of that silly thread, and were telling us about your leather skin.  :o  (Does your wife know about this?)

In any case, I haven't picked them up yet, but will take some time off work tomorrow morning and head up there.   8) 8) 8)  Not sure if I'll come home with them yet, as they have to mount the bindings and tune 'em up.  Patience, Godfather...patienc e....

Now, if someone could tell me how to post a picture here, I'd be happy to take a snap and upload it.  I tried inserting a JPEG of my espresso machine in Ron's thread, but either this forum only allows pictures of skis, or I don't know what I'm doing, or there's something wonky with the forum software, because it just wouldn't work for me.  Help me out here, guys....

gandalf

• Administrator
  • <100 Posts
Svend.... How to post a picture
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 07:21:40 pm »
OK, everyone.? I changed the permissions to allow? downloading of picture attachments.

Click on the "Additional Options" button just under the compose window.? One of the fields there will let you select a file off of your local system and post it.? You do NOT Cut&Paste or use the upper button that says 'Insert Picture'.

Let me know if you have any problems.? Peter has set the database parameters to only allow a total of 10mb of pictures, so I will delete oldest pictures as necessary if we approach that limit (and 10mb isn't much).? Default picture limit is 256kb or about 40 max size pictures.? The GreatOne picture below is 42KB (sizes are right under the picture).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:46:01 pm by gandalf »

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 07:49:23 pm »
Hi Gandalf! Thanks for your help, but when I click on Additional Options, I don't see a field for selecting a file and posting it -- only "Return to this topic" and "Don't use smileys" are showing.? Any more advice?

Quote from: gandalf
Svend:? Try it now.? Hope it works.  I think I sort of understand what was going on.  "Ungrouped Users" had attachments denied and users that are a member of a 'post count' group are still part of ungrouped users.  Ron and Gary and Midwife and Jim are in the Global Moderators, so they aren't in the "Ungrouped Users" group.  Eyes glazing over yet??  Glenn will be happy that he can post his dishwasher pictures (or was that a coffee machine)? 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:33:12 pm by gandalf »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 09:12:22 pm »
Yes, we need pics of these brand new skis!
Thank you Jim for putting up a picture of my new " I want, but will not buy" skis!! ;D
"Play it Sam"

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 06:26:36 am »
Gandalf...thanks, it seems to be working now.  Us junior members just can't be trusted...I know, I know....sigh.  Well, after yesterday's silly exchanges, you're probably right not to give us unlimited possibilities for mischief.  ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 07:39:40 am »
Gandalf...thanks, it seems to be working now.? Us junior members just can't be trusted...I know, I know....sigh.? Well, after yesterday's silly exchanges, you're probably right not to give us unlimited possibilities for mischief.? ;D

Svend:? Have you READ some of the things that Gary posts?? ?;D? Unlimited possibilities for mischief indeed.? >:D We don't distrust Junior members, it's those Newbies that have caused problems.

Actually, the problem was an over-reaction by Peter to spamming last summer and fall.? He went through and blanket "denied" a lot of options. Seems my friend Gandalf had trouble finding all of the those settings and understanding that someone in the "Junior Group" was also being affected by settings from the "Ungrouped Group" (an interestingly geek terminology).

By the way, you only need 27 more posts to become a "Full" member, so prattle on.

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 07:49:52 am »
OK - like Gary said, I've ordered a pair of '09 Head Supershape Speeds from my local shop.  I'm picking them up today, if they can get them prepped in time.  Yeehaw...can't wait! Will lean them up against the wall of my office and stare at them all day until the snow falls again.

Over past models, the '09s have grown in the tip by 4mm, and in the waist and tail by 2mm.  This now gives them a sidecut of 116/68/100, and a 15 m radius at 170.   Some of you may know that my wife skis the '07 model of these in a 163, and absolutely loves them.  They have a wonderful springy flex that isn't brutally stiff, and while they have awesome performance, she finds them very easy to manage in pretty much all conditions - crud, bumps, soft snow, ice...you name it. 

The decision to buy these was made from both my wife's experience on hers, and from reading through online reviews in forums and magazines, both here and in Europe (FYI, I read German) re. the '09 and earlier models.  They all say what a versatile ski it is.  Not too stiff, light underfoot, great edge grip, and reasonably forgiving (which is in contrast to what Realskiers says), good for finesse or power skiing, and definitely not punishing like a full-out race ski.  Basically, they rave about it, and say it is one of the best groomer skis out there.  And when I heard about the new dimensions on this ski, and then heard the price from my shop guy, it was a no-brainer.  "That's it, I'm gettin' 'em!"  It is bang-on the side cut that I was looking for -- ie. Chip XRC, Progressor, Mach2, and the like.  And I think the build quality of the Supershape line is one of the best out there now - they are darn-near bulletproof.

As Gary said, this is a real ski, and one I will be able to grow into nicely and not make redundant in a couple of seasons.  At least for the first season, I will keep my iM70s for easy-going days with the kids, but I really look forward to growing into the Speeds as I get better and better.  That is also why I didn't go longer (I'm getting them in 170), I didn't want a ski that was going to be a handful, but was a manageable length like my iM70s and yet was leagues better in performance.  Were I an expert skier, I would have gone with a 177, no question.  That day will come...when I'm ready.  But for the moment, I wanted the best possible frontside ski in a length that I could handle.

Having said all that, many thanks to all on the forum here for your advice and recommendations, and to Da Godfather, Gary, devil's advocate that he was, for patiently putting up with my agonizing and hand-wringing over what ski to buy.  Once I get 'em out on the slopes and give 'em a real workout, I'll post a review back here and let you know what I think.

Cheers, and here's a pic:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 07:53:02 am »
By the way, you only need 27 more posts to become a "Full" member, so prattle on.
Gosh...you mean I'll be a Global Superhero, just like you guys? Ooooh! Wonder if I can do 27 posts today? Actually, only 25 more, as this and the one above count as two...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 12:00:45 pm by Viking »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 08:14:54 am »
Gee, Gary...hate to tell you this bud, but I already let the cat out of the bag earlier today, in reply to one of Ron's threads (see the 2nd post):? http://skiforums.org/rev2/index.php?topic=1353.0
And, come to think of it, you were part of that silly thread, and were telling us about your leather skin.? :o? (Does your wife know about this?)

That's what I thought too? Gary has inhaled too much wax vapor from waxing his topsheet..... ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:07:19 am by jim-ratliff »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 09:35:13 am »
Ok and yes I sucked in my share of wax...but on the older posts, I still detected much angst over which ski to purchase....

But ya pulled the trigger my Viking friend and from the looks of it...one awesome looking (but better looking with some nice top skin wax) and sweet ski. Can't wait to hear your review. Nice job posting the pic too!

Still sticking with my thoughts that your ski length is the right choice for right up through expert for a ski used mostly in the east with maybe  :o we hope a trip to Steamboat RSIII.

It's so exciting...new skis and it's just May.....and you're placing those bad boys in your office....taking the kids to work eh?

Nice!

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 10:29:11 am »
You know its so much fun to abuse gary for this but I can't tell you how many times I have missed stuff or confused threads . I can't beleive I'm letting him off the hook so easilly!   >:D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 12:11:24 pm »
Wait for it....wait for it...come on Ron....I know there's a hidden message in there....

There IS a hook in there somewhere....I never get off this easy....wait let me rephrase that....

Never mind...I"m already in trouble!

G ::)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 12:34:09 pm »
naah, its a thursday free-bee!

Glenn

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 06:11:09 am »
Sweet! You gotta love that "new ski" feeling.  :)