Author Topic: FreeFlex binding question  (Read 412 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: FreeFlex binding question
« on: May 07, 2008, 09:25:31 am »
I know what you are talking about, even without the picture.? Pretty standard binding on all of the skis with the CP13 carve plate.
However, the correct terminology is "FreeFlex+".? Tyrolia also still makes the basic "FreeFlex" binding minus the spring doo-dad.

Rebound dampening is what I have heard, similar to the piston on Marker bindings.? I guess that for some really aggressive skiers, when they release out of a turn the ski is so arced that when it rebounds it actually counterflexes and then oscillates for a bit.? If the ski or binding can dampen or eliminate those oscillations then the ski will be ready to engage the snow more smoothly.? I know that magazines have been saying that it it very noticeable with the Marker Piston for several years.  See the following link and then compare the features of the FreeFlex vs. the FreeFlex+ for an idea of what they feel the engaged spring does.

http://www.tyrolia.com/index.php?id=sf_freeflex_plus

Have heard that skiing with the springs engaged does stiffen the sk under the boot, but shouldn't eliminate the flex.? Certainly acceptable and maybe even preferable for most to ski with the springs unengaged.? Does not at all affect the binding settings or forward pressure.? That is all controlled by a bar under the springs that connects the toe and heel directly to each other.

And you ask because?? Has your wife tried the SuperShapes with the arrow pointer turned to the heel?? I wouldn't expect it to make enough difference to turn her skis into "easy skidders".

As far as pictures, I don't know how to insert them either.? Inserting a URL that points to a picture is the best that I've seen work, even though the setup of the forum seems to indicate that you should be able to imbed pictures.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 10:06:01 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."