Author Topic: what do doctors really know?  (Read 1064 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: what do doctors really know?
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2008, 08:11:52 am »
Yeah Ron...I understand your first week of theraphy so far has been lifting your cup to the espresso machine!  >:D

Now quite it mister and get busy on those ski muscles!  ;D

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2008, 10:58:36 am »
end of 2nd you mean?

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2008, 08:14:50 am »
Thanks Perry, problem is that is still fairly significant. I still cannot run what so ever, walking can be painful but I always get a pulling feeling in my ab down to the pubic bone and into the upper thigh. After about a mile, It gets very painful. Sitting is still a problem, causes cramping. If I rotate my foot out, I cannot lift my leg.  Don't you think it should be better than this by now?

Ron, I would think that you would have progressed some by now quite honestly.  One possibility is that the way that the injury has affected you is that the stuff you normally do to get better has chronically aggravated this injury.  I am curious to ask if now that you are doing the PT if you can notice that you are slowly making progress. 

Another thought.  I was always taught to visualize the anatomy.  In your case the psoas starts up at L2 and goes down along the back wall of your lower abdomen and through your groin area to attach to you upper femur. (this is exactly where you have pain)  Even though you bruised in your groin, you could have also strained it higher up, stretched a nerve,etc .  I am curious if the MRI looked at that area, where MDs would say is the origin of the muscle is, and also at that level of the spine.  It would be common to get views in the groin and for them not to look up at L2 - L5 of the spine and track the muscle along its entire course. (Why does this happen? - I think probably because all these great machines have made us lazy thinkers.  9 out of 10 times we look where it hurts and presto - the magic machine tells us what is wrong.)  In cases that don't add up, one has to re-think the entire process, push a different button, try a different theory, come up with a new hypothesis etc.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2008, 08:24:14 am »
Making some decent progress with rehab!  ;D My PT is really working on rebiulding strength and we started yesterday on the weakest areas. He didn't want to stretch or work the worst areas until we got the other muscles going. Very sore but I feel we are getting somewhere!

I like what I hear in this.  I sounds like this guy knows what he is doing.  Stick with this program and see what happens after 3-4 weeks.  If you see progress, keep with the winning formula.  If you hit a wall, give it time 2 weeks or so to work through it.  If you hit a wall and stop and go nowhere, refer back to my previous message.

Also, remember the post with the link to the OB doctor who had women with similar problems?  She found result with massage therapy.  Be careful here however, there are some big and important blood vessels and nerves and guts and goey things that you don't want to be pushing too hard on.  Let somebody who knows what they are doing, do this.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2008, 12:59:42 pm »
we;re doing well but it's very painful. I can actually lift my leg now. After a couple of sessions, the muscles started to fire again. Hurts like hell! Not getting a lot of sleep but it's moving at least.

cbznoel

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2008, 01:07:17 pm »
Ron

Find a Chinese doctor that was educated in China.  I am serious, I have had great results from acupuncture.  Any certified acupunturist would probably but the education in China is "board certified".

Bob

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2008, 05:03:26 pm »
Ron
 I" second that emotion", er....I mean I concur. Not to supplant your PT, but work in addition to.
 There is a lot of watered down acupuncture in this country, but it really seems to help a lot of people. And those trained in China have quite a touch.
You know what "they" say. "Might help, won't hurt"
Lynn
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2008, 09:29:12 am »
Geez....I thought they said "taste great less filling"!

Hmmm.....alcohol as a relaxint....who wudda thunk?

Having never been needled by anything other than my ex-wife....we need to explore the internet for a skier who is Chinese certified acupuncturist who we could cajole into joining us at RS III and beyond.....

Now that would be living large...the doc. the needle man...the ski waxer/tuner...the cooks.....the shelper....

Wow....talk about a great reality show!

Can't wait,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2008, 07:28:18 am »
I have been treated by a very good accupuncturist for many years for different things.  It's great stuff! I just don't have the time to go to rehab 2x a week and accupuncture on top. I am seeing some improvement with the strenghtening and strecthing so I want to keep this ging. I had another breakthrough this AM, I was only able to adduct (bring across the body) my right leg only a few inches, about even with my big toe on my left foot, this morning, it released and I was able to bring across several more inches!  It was great, it just released!  Going to rehab today can't wait to show him the progress.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2008, 07:55:33 am »
Awesome and Hallelujah.......Ha ppy for ya Ron.

Good attitude and a good bottle of wine go a long way.

Great news, keep up the good work!

Is it too early to "think snow"?

G

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2008, 09:02:09 am »
Wine, wine??
When did Ron switch from coffee to wine?
 ;D ;)

OR, is now doing both??? >:D >:D

Ron, great progess. Very glad to hear of the improvement.
I know how frustrating it must have been to feel so hobbled by the weakness and pain.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2008, 12:11:32 pm »
Hmm, I don't think I ever switched from wine to Coffee or vice/versa, just a bit more of each!   ;D

I'll be fine! It's just a slow fun process.

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2008, 06:59:02 pm »
keep up the good work.  I sounds to me like perhaps the spasm in the upper psoas is releasing, (uncramping)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2008, 08:20:23 am »
Yeah....Ron's been releasing psoas since I've known him.....usually after one of his morning breakfast specials with guacamole and black beans.....nasty I tell ya, nasty!  :-[

And sure Lynn...we all know Ron is hobbled....but that's a story only his shrink could shed light on.

BUT....truth be known, I think he's juicing himself back to health with his wines and coffee beans...

Hey,..whatever works!

A "slow fun process" are you insane my Watea brother....the word "fun" should not be in that sentence.....well.. ya see there it is again...hobbled!  >:D

So Ron release away and consume as many liquid beans and grapes as may be necessary on the road to full recovery!

;D
G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2008, 10:06:10 am »
 Gary:

By the way, how's your arm doing??

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."