Author Topic: what do doctors really know?  (Read 1104 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: what do doctors really know?
« on: May 12, 2008, 01:04:49 pm »
Grasping at straws.

Two common tests for neurological involvement that are more obvious than the tap on the knee or ankle with the little rubber hammer.

1.? can you stand and maintain your balance with just the front half of your feet on the edge of a stair?? i.e. do you still have strong calves?
2.? when you walk can you still control your forefoot or does it "slap" down as you walk?? shin muscles

You had a bad tear and those take a long time to heal.? But the constant pain and cramping and pain outside the primary injury area could be because the primary muscle has shortened and is pulling muscles around it; or it could be that there was also some neurological damage that is causing the cramping and possibly phantom pain in the hip.?

Your overall description sounds somewhat like the problems I was having last summer, severe cramping in the groin muscle that i couldn't stretch out, and a bit of pain in the hip and radiating into the leg.? In my case, it was a minor muscle strain (not your major tear) and more significant neurological impairment from the same event.? The two things above were the simple tests for neurological impairment, because they evaluate nerves by testing the lower leg muscles well away from the damage site (and then that was justification for an MRI).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 01:09:03 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."