Author Topic: coffee, french press and espresso  (Read 1779 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: coffee, french press and espresso
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2008, 08:12:12 am »
Ron, I'm trying to post a pic from my hard drive, not from a remote URL.  I used to be able to do this a few months ago when The Administrator gave us privileges to do so.  I just clicked on Additional Options (I think) and there was a menu item for uploading a pic.  Any ideas? How do you do it?

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2008, 02:02:42 pm »
Maybe Jim can look into this? I am not really that familiar with the funtionality of this site. I can look around tomorrow.  I just post the URL.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2008, 08:20:26 pm »
Ron, I'm trying to post a pic from my hard drive, not from a remote URL.? I used to be able to do this a few months ago when The Administrator gave us privileges to do so.? I just clicked on Additional Options (I think) and there was a menu item for uploading a pic.? Any ideas? How do you do it?

Svend:
Yes, underneath the text entry area there should be underlined text that says "Additional Options".
You click on that, and you should get a display that lets you browse and find a picture on your local harddrive and upload it.? There is a size limit of 256KB, since the host site only allows 10 mb of pictures total.?

Not a limit on space.? Are you not seeing the file browse option after you click "Additional Options" or is the picture not uploading?? If the latter, then I would crop or change the picture to get it less than 256K.? If you are on Windows, you can right click on the file and select Properties and to see how big the file is.

Svend, maybe your are a victim of the new "content filter".? ?::)? If the picture doesn't have skis or an obvious skier in it, then it won't upload the picture.? Since this is a ski forum, the "content filter" looks at all of the pixels and looks for patterns and colors that have been determined to be part of normal ski pictures (such as lots of white snow, edges like the edge of a ski, and orange parkas) and refuses to download things that aren't related to skiing.  I think it is called DIR (Digital Image Recognition).

Jim
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 07:52:09 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2008, 06:52:35 am »
Ahh, I would argue (and I think ED and Svend as well) that Coffee is part of the tradiition and experience of skiing. The morning ritual of gathering together to boast and pontificate about the days plans and revel in the glory of the previous days conquests....

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2008, 09:23:20 am »
Svend
Perhaps the filter doesn't recognize that coffee is part of the ski experience. I think you may have to lobby the powers that be to "make it so". :D
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2008, 09:47:02 am »
Well, I would be proud to make some nice coffee this December. I am bringing up a expresso maker and some of my Counter culture Tuscano blend.

bf_hill

« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2008, 11:59:47 am »
Svend
Perhaps the filter doesn't recognize that coffee is part of the ski experience. I think you may have to lobby the powers that be to "make it so". :D

I believe it is because the filter realizes that coffee should not be filtered twice.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2008, 02:11:42 pm »
Ah, BF, that response was like a fine wine or a lovely aromatic cup of joe. :D
"Play it Sam"

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2008, 09:55:18 pm »
Content filter?! Seriously Jim.  You mean Ron's hernia looks like a ski run to the DIR gizmo? Mind you, there is a lot of orangey-red stuff  in there, so maybe it mistook the hernia for a Cassara wipe out -- limbs a-kimbo...an unrecognizable, shapeless heap, clad in orange.  I could see why a pic of a high-end espresso grinder just wouldn't pass, compared to that.

Yes, underneath the text entry area there should be underlined text that says "Additional Options".
You click on that, and you should get a display that lets you browse and find a picture on your local harddrive and upload it.  There is a size limit of 256KB, since the host site only allows 10 mb of pictures total. 

Not a limit on space.  Are you not seeing the file browse option after you click "Additional Options" or is the picture not uploading?  If the latter, then I would crop or change the picture to get it less than 256K.  If you are on Windows, you can right click on the file and select Properties and to see how big the file is.
Jim, you are correct...I am not seeing the file browse option under Additional Options.  As I said, it used to be there, just after Ye Holy Administrator made it so a few months back, but now all I see is "Return to this topic" and "Don't use smileys"...that's all.  Perplexing....

And yes, Lynn, coffee is definitely part of the ski experience.  We bought a little plug-in Bialetti espresso pot just for ski trips, to get the motor revved and the senses sharpened before hitting the slopes.  Nothing like a good strong brew first thing in the morning.  As for apres, we use it to concoct a drink called Elephant Nuts (copied shamelessly from the backside lodge at Lake Louise), which contains espresso, Amarula, Frangelico and whipped cream.  Let me tell you, it warms your toes and turns your tired muscles to jello....sweet!

Cheers, all!

Svend

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2008, 03:26:53 am »
Ron is a recognized skier many places.? Even his innards and groin are known by the DIR program.? ?;D ;D

I'll look around some.? Didn't think anything with pictures had changed. Unless you moved up a category and I didn't make a change there.

Svend:  Try your picture now.  When you totaled 100 posts you became a full member (no longer a junior member) and I forgot to make the posting configuration change for that user group.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:31:45 am by gandalf »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2008, 08:18:50 am »
me and my "innards" are honored....

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2008, 08:33:21 am »
  As for apres, we use it to concoct a drink called Elephant Nuts (copied shamelessly from the backside lodge at Lake Louise), which contains espresso, Amarula, Frangelico and whipped cream.  Let me tell you, it warms your toes and turns your tired muscles to jello....sweet!

Cheers, all!

Svend

Elephant Nuts
YUMMY!!!
"Play it Sam"

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2008, 09:45:10 am »
Hey Jim...no change, still don't see it.  The only thing I can think of is that I changed my moniker on my profile to "Svend" from "Viking" -- perhaps that messed up the permissions...altho ugh it still shows me as a full member. 

Lynn, let me know if you want the recipe -- I know you don't have an espresso maker, but Lake Louise made it with regular coffee and it still tasted great.  You'll have to experiment with the proportions, but there's a bit of fun in that too  ;D ....by about the fifth batch you should get it right.  But remember to write everything down, 'cause when you wake up you'll remember nothing.

BR,
Svend

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2008, 02:31:03 pm »
Svend:

Try it again now.  Also try it on a thread of your choice under another heading other than Open Discussion.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2008, 02:56:36 pm »
Yup...it works! Thanks Jim.  From your fiddling with this, am I to assume that you are The High Inquisitor and Exalted Administrator himself? This lofty position doesn't seem to afford you much more respect from the members, though, as you seem to get as much abuse as the rest of the lot.   ;D  The burdens of high office...sigh...

Cheers,

Svend
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:58:41 pm by Svend »