Author Topic: coffee, french press and espresso  (Read 1810 times)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Re: coffee, french press and espresso
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2008, 08:01:25 pm »
Thank you, Ron , for throwing me that bone.
Saved!!!

"Play it Sam"

bf_hill

« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2008, 09:56:02 pm »
ohhh, had her on the ropes Ron and you let her off... :-[

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2008, 10:20:22 am »
Hmm, you do't know her like I know her, I am not getting the "bronx-up" in her   ;D  besides, she is going to be a better skier than me by this season....... AND I LOVE HER APPLE PIE

bf_hill

« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2008, 11:11:52 am »
Sold for an apple pie.  Sad, but very understandable ;D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2008, 07:46:49 am »
thanks and you have made a wise choice......

Glenn

« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2008, 10:22:53 am »
My wife and I just got back from Chicago...awesome city, shitty coffee.  ;D Well, not completely "shitty". Only shitty when you can't find a Dunkin' Donuts. We spent over and hour one morning hunting one down....only to find one later that night, a block and a half from the hotel.  ;D

One thing that annoys me about large cities is Starbucks. These damn things are on every corner. There was one right next to our hotel..and another a half a block away. If you looked out the window of one, you could see the other one. My wife and I both stated multiple times a day how we do not like the coffee there. We had it a few times "any port in a storm" as the saying goes. You need caffeine, you need caffeine. It seems that you need a judicious amount of sugar and cream to make that coffee taste marginally better than #2 heating oil. And "Mochachinos" ain't no Coolata. While I'm ranting...what is up with the people who "hang out" in Starbucks? In the AM, it?s all business people. But any other time of day, it's odd people with black rimmed pseudo Buddy Holly glasses. And they?re either on a Mac laptop or reading poetry. "It's 70 and sunny out people! GET OUTSIDE!"

One thing that did impress me. One morning I hit one before the conference and wanted a coffee...just a coffee; nothing chino'd latte'd or anything that needed to be ordered in pig Latin. I asked for a medium coffee...and got a medium coffee. Impressive.

bf_hill

« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2008, 08:07:28 am »
You're right, Dunkin Donuts makes the best coffee, or perhaps, did.  I used to drink it all the time and then something changed.  It started tasting like cardboard.  I haven't had some in years, perhaps they've changed it back or maybe my tastebuds went bad.  I'll have to try it again.  I too don't like Starbucks coffee.  Too bitter and burnt.  Their new Pikes Peak (or something like that) is more potable but still Starbucks.  I really do like their lattes and mochas.

My favorite mocha and coffee place is in Ybor City next to Tampa.  Navarro Bros. coffee is made there among others.  But it is an old time coffee roasting factory with a counter.  They grind the fresh roasted beans right in front of you to make your drink.  Unbelievable how the coffee flavor breaks through the chocolate. 

The second best was on a trip to Jamaica and I stopped at a coffee house for their legendary iced mochas.  Potent too.  I think I was hallucinating.  I remember screaming "I am a God!" or something like that.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2008, 08:29:01 am »
what happened?  I can tell you what happened; You developed taste budds!  Navarro brothers coffee has healed you!!!!    AMEn Brotha' >:D

Glenn

« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2008, 10:12:33 am »
That's what it is! The Starbucks stuff does taste a bit bitter or burnt.

At least we had options in Chicago. Last year, when the conference was in Vegas, no dice.  :'(

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2008, 10:15:10 am »
That's what it is! The Starbucks stuff does taste a bit bitter or burnt.

At least we had options in Chicago. Last year, when the conference was in Vegas, no dice.? :'(

nice!

Glenn, do you ever go up on Home BArista.com or cofeegeeks.com? Good resources.

Glenn

« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2008, 10:20:09 am »
Do they have coolata recipies?  :D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2008, 01:07:38 pm »
Sur, i recommend you go there and post your love for dunkin donuts cofee and coolata's. I am sure they would love ot hear from a fellow-cofee lover...... ::)

bf_hill

« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2008, 06:14:30 am »
Shhhh....I like McDonald's Bold coffee...... :-X

Glenn

« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2008, 10:35:25 am »
Their Iced Coffee isn't bad at all.  :)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2008, 01:51:29 pm »
Just got a good decaf coffee/expsresso, counter culture coffee has a great blend..If anyone wants the info, let me know. This can be ground for any kind of maker, it would be a very good French press coffee. I made a nice double shot, nice flaovrs, low acid, a lot of crema which most decaf's don't have. Spicy, nutty with a nice cocoa (think baking powder) and toast flavors.  a little lacking on the body and mouth feeling but hey' it's decaf. It makes great cappi and latte though.