Author Topic: coffee, french press and espresso  (Read 1786 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: coffee, french press and espresso
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2008, 07:08:22 am »
YES!  Not a lot though. At first you may get some very fine very finel sprays comng out but not like a big mess or something. If you really screwed it up I can see how it could make a mess but you would really have to mess it up big time. I have adjusted the doser down to reduce the amount coming out into the PF and I keep moving it around to create very small piles of coffee. THen  give it  few gentle skakes to help distribute it, then one settling tap.  I then top it off and scrape off with my finger. Tamp and tap the side to clear off grinds from the side of PF then a finishing twist of the tamper with no real pressure. This seems to work well. I actually was able to reduce the grind size with this method but still pulling shots at around 30 seconds. Do you think this is till too long? I guess I could reduce the amount of coffee in the PF.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2008, 08:19:13 am »
I don't think 30 seconds is too long, but taste should be your guide.  As long as you aren't blonding, or are just starting to blond by 30 seconds, I think it should still taste great.  Personally I haven't noticed any deterioration or overextraction at a 30 second pull. 

I read something on HB that an expert barista who teaches for the SCAA (Heather, I think her name is), uses only a very light tamp, and lets the machine do the rest.  This, of course, requires the grind to be very fine, in order to create the required back pressure.  I'll see if I can find the thread for you and drop a link in here.  The method was super-simple -- nothing fancy or time-consuming.

If I used your method on my machine, I would probably have too much coffee in the PF, and then the shower screen would compress it and the shot would choke the machine.  I have to dose so that the tamp leaves the top level of the grounds quite deep into the basket.  I have to fill the PF very loosely (no tapping yet), level it, then tap on the counter to settle, and then tamp and polish.  I guess your screen sits higher so you can fill your basket higher.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2008, 08:51:06 am »
well, I ifill to the top but there is a distinct notch about 1/4 down the PF, If I fill just to the top and then lightly tampe down (push till there is reisitance) then polish off, that's all I do. My grind is almost powder. I am not packing it in. If you just keep it loose but move the PF around and fill very slowly, you will get a nice even distribution. I learned this from Dawg (Scott) it works very well. He says he slaps the doser about 40 times per fill (doppio) on his machines. I probably hit it about 20 times. Give it a try.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2008, 03:05:42 pm »
I really need to get a grinder with a good, adjustable doser.  It would make this so much easier.  The Proline doesn't have one, so I scoop out the grounds out of the glass bin into the PF.  Rather inexact, but it works OK.  I just spent my discretionary funds for the next couple of months on the new skis, so a grinder will have to wait a while....sigh.

But hey, here's something we use for traveling, which you might find neat for ski trips -- an electric Bialetti moka pot.  It makes 3 espresso cups in about 2 minutes, and fits in your suitcase.  http://www.bialettiusa.com/bialetti/products.html  We have an older version, and it works great.  If we want a latte in the morning, we get some milk in a small carton from a corner store, zap it in the microwave in the hotel room, and Presto! a passable latte.  An Anita it's not, but tastes way better than hotel coffee any day.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2008, 08:20:08 am »
I will have to check this out. Very cool. The doser isn't precise, it just drops out small amounts of the grinds, if you tap it, it drops very small amounts, if you pull it all the way, it drops out much larger amounts. It's just much easier to pull very small amounts and distribute as you go. I made a video for you  this AM, I don't have an account to post video's from so I am working on that. If you PM me with your e-mail, I can try to send to you. Its a pull using a bottomless PF, very cool! 

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2008, 10:05:57 am »
PM sent....

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2008, 11:19:38 am »
you should have your vid. I also sent to Jim, Lynn and gary. If anyone else wants to see, let me know. Its a 14 meg file.

Glenn

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2008, 10:34:57 am »
Can that thing make Coolatta's? I love Coollatta's! I had two over the long weekend.

Was that "thud" noise Ron passing out as he read another Dunkin' Donuts related post from me in this thread?  :D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2008, 11:05:49 am »
yup, my head hurts now!  ::) I hit it on the corner of my desk.

Glenn

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2008, 10:29:35 am »
I could donate an old ATV helmet to the cause if needed.  ;)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2008, 01:47:31 pm »
I think Jim would prefer we use gary's roange helmet????? >:D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2008, 08:08:40 am »
Hey....well Ron....I'VE never had to wear a helmet while drinking cofee!

But if you NEED to....you can borrow my orange helmet so we can find you under the table after your 3rd cup!  :D

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2008, 10:57:00 am »
huh?  under the table?????????

Glenn

« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2008, 10:34:43 am »
Ron,
I just wanted to let you know that I had two refreshing Coolatas this weekend. My lovely wife ran some errands Saturday AM. I was mid way through mowing the lawn when she rolled up with a tasty Coolata for me. Sunday, she was up and out of the house early. I got a call when she was on her way home: "Would you like a Coolata"? Bless her heart.

And look! I found a way for you to make your own at home Ron! You can use your fancy coffee maker thing....the one that doubles as a small steam engine: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/513/Dunkin_Donuts_Coffee_Coolata31301.shtml

;D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2008, 12:58:17 pm »
glad you enjoyed your super high calorie,sugar-filled, artificially flavored drink :)

I made a killer iced espresso Sunday as a matter of fact. two double-shots with some 1% milk. No sugar necessary. All natural and delicious. Quite delicious! I liked it better than regular iced coffe by far. Sven, if you haven't tried this, you have to. Just pull two doppios and pour right over a pint glass filled with ice, top off with milk. Those great flavors of the expresso really come through.

I looked at the recipe, easy enough! I could improve that a little:  Steam the milk first, adding the Scharffenberger dark chocolate powder. Very low in sugar. Steaming the milk makes it much sweeter and the dark chocolate is much better tasting that chocolate syrup (artificially flavored) stuff. Instead of coffee, use the espresso, The flavors are much more pronounced.

PS- Our machines are not coffee machines... (how obnoxious) >:D

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:04:10 pm by Ron »