Author Topic: coffee, french press and espresso  (Read 1759 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: coffee, french press and espresso
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2008, 01:00:01 pm »
beautiful car

DECAF ESPRESSO- http://www.caffedarte.com/page.aspx  I found this on the Epic coffee string.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2008, 01:14:08 pm »
Thanks for decaf link.  I'll check it out, but will try to find a supplier in Canada for good beans.  I think I'm gonna start home roasting soon too, just to see what that has to offer.  A good small roaster shouldn't be more than about $300.  Green beans are readily available here in Toronto for about $6/lb.  Might be worth it just to get a good decaf -- Swiss Water process may work better.  That means I can drink twice as much, right?

As for cars, we're a Saab family (what else would you expect from a Viking, but a Swedish car?).  We're on our third one -- '85 900 turbo 16V; '99 9-5; and now an '05 9-5.  Love 'em -- they're bloody rockets when the turbo kicks in, and they sniff gas on the highway, which is great with the price at the pumps these days.

Friends have an A6 -- sweet ride! And we used to have a Beemer too - a mid-80's 535i.  God I loved that car! Solid as a rock.  Probably my favourite car that we've owned.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2008, 01:23:07 pm »
yes, home roasted beans, That's the next step for me too. I need to get this down first. Good idea. My wifes uncle used to race Saabs with Paul Newman in the 80's. I loved them before they were ruined by GM. Too bad. I hear and read (consumers trashes them) about a lot of problems. A shame, I like the look of them.  I saw the 1 series hatchback BMW in Italy, diesel and all, that's the car I would love to own.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2008, 01:43:24 pm »
Yeah...I just picked up a new Audi R8 the other day.....a well......you see....I HAD a dream....

Man...THat car just floats my boat....

OK...back to reality...I drive the AWD 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid right now getting 33MPG around town and my wife drives the Toyota Prius getting around 48MPG....and we replace our light bulbs with the fluorescent ones when the incandescent ones burn out....yes we're also big recyclers as well.

Now....Green IS a lovely color...and Jim...that white and green combo is working for you.....

But man....it's all about orange for me!  ::)

G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2008, 02:02:12 pm »

Now....Green IS a lovely color,...and Jim...that white and green combo is working for you.....

But man....it's all about orange for me!? ::)

G

I have to admit Gary, Orange is a good color for you.  In a picture, that is one ugly helmet, in person the helmet doesn't tell half the story.   ;D  ;D
Seriously, the Orange helmet came to grow on me; it is you. Can't wait to see the orange jacket/helmet combo.  8)  8)

Hope your R8 is the diesel one.  Wouldn't want you driving something that was a blast to have but only got 12-15 miles per gallon when driven nicely.

Jim
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2008, 02:09:08 pm »
Thanks Jim for the happy orange words....really can't wait to turn em with the gang.

Nah...the Audi R8 is one of those imaginary cars for me...and in my dream it would have an electric engine and look like it's capable of 0-60 in 3.8 seconds but who the heck needs to go that fast.....

Hmmm...I rather it take longer and look good while doing it!

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2008, 02:22:04 pm »

Ohhhh, you got your manufacturers confused.  ;D  You meant the Tesla, founded and funded by the guy that owned PayPal.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

sports car performance, full electric, 250 mile range, prototypes on the road, based on a Lotus Elise but with an electric motor and 10,000 laptop batteries.  Production is imminent.  Since electric engines develop max torque at 0 rpm, the acceleration and driving sensation is, from what I read, just amazing.

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2008, 04:45:23 pm »
Hey Ron, not sure why Consumers trashes the Saabs.  They gave the 9-5's pretty good reviews, at least before they changed the look in '06.  The dash of the new models now look like a Buick.  They took away that awesome wrap-around walnut dash, and now it's bland-ville.  No character left.  I did hear that the new 9-3 was having some reliability problems.  As for our car, it has 70,000 km (about 45,000 miles) on it, and not a single problem...not a one.  It's easily the most reliable car we've ever owned.  Go figure...

Hey....wasn't this thread about espresso? And here I am talking cars.  Thread drift? What thread drift?

Have a great weekend everyone -- it's a long weekend here in Canada.   Aaaahh....relaxin' on the patio....dreaming of my new skis.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 10:11:58 am by Viking »

Glenn

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2008, 06:34:31 am »
Who doesn't like pics?

03 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0, 242 t-case: The "Mt Snow-mobile"  :D

02 Audi A6 quattro:

The former 1994 Jetta GL. I had it chipped, a nice SS mandrel bent exaust with a Borla, slighly lowered, Momo steering wheel. What a fun car!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2008, 12:22:45 pm »
Hey Jim...thanks for the link....that is some sweet looking ride and green ta boot! Hmmm, I didn't see a price and that always worries me...but what lines and like you said...I'll bet it's very quick!

Svend...well hope you had a relaxing weekend. I hear tell that you fell asleep outdoors in your lounge chair cradling your new skis. When you awoke at dawn, you had frostbite on your appendages...hey... .udaman......way to go!

Glenn, sweet set up on the Jetta...I'll be she really squeals when ya put the peddle to the metal! Handles pretty good too with the lowering kit...nice go to work the long way car!

Best,
Gary

Glenn

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2008, 08:22:09 am »
For a non turbo, 4cyl, 8v, it was a peppy little car. Sold it to high school kid who was going to college in Maine. He needed another car because he wrecked his previous one. I don't even want to know what happened to it.  :o

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2008, 11:03:28 am »
I'm sure he'll wreck this one too!

Back to coffee!   I have been working on my espresso's this weekend. I made a lot of progess with grind level and amounts of coffe to use. Actually made some fantastic espresso! Totally smooth, great flavors. I am getting near perfect extraction with the bottomless portafilter, very cool to watch. I will record for you. I really never loved cappuchino, always found it watery, the cappi's I am making now are just killer, the foamed milk comes out think and dense, almost like whipped cream..... I need one now..

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2008, 12:57:54 pm »
Good one Ron! And I hear you about the cappucinos.  The vast majority of restaurant and cafe ones are watery, thin and bland -- all milk and no coffee.  The odd Italian restaurant would do it right.  Even with our stove-top Bialetti espresso pot and a milk frother, we could make way better ones at home.  Now with the Giotto, every one is a killer.  The coffee is front and center, and the milk is a complement, not the main flavour.  Micro foam is a cinch with our machine -- tricky to get the hang of, but once you get it, no sweat.  All that steam makes it easy.  Great to hear you're getting the knack.  Keep working it!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2008, 02:16:12 pm »
Thanks bud, yes, I am really getting comfortable with the grinding and portioning. once you get past that, everything falls in line. I have to make a video of the bottomless pf.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2008, 02:26:47 pm »
I've wanted to try one of those, but never got around to ordering one.  It would be good to see if the extraction is even.  But did you ever have the java spraying all over your kitchen if you screwed up a dose? I've heard of that happening, and it doesn't sound fun.