Author Topic: coffee, french press and espresso  (Read 1761 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: coffee, french press and espresso
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2008, 08:19:41 pm »
? ;D? >:D? ;D? >:D

OK, hopefully this is the epitome of thread drift.? There is just something in my nature, there just HAS to be more ski pictures than coffee machine pictures on a ski forum, even if the thread title is "coffee .... etc".? Therefore, my contributions.? My current "quiver".

Ron/Gary, the bottom is the jacket that I was considering. Better picture than the web.? They are still looking to see if they have my size at one of the other stores.? Said it may be June, I said the price should be really good by then.? Note the colors with the Magnum.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 08:52:57 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2008, 08:42:47 pm »
Very nice. Like the two very different "flavors". A minty confection on the bottom pic, with a hint of velvety espresso color. The top, an energetic mix of rich and deep hawaiian type colors with a robust finish. ;)

And the skis ain't bad either! ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:36:21 pm by midwif »
"Play it Sam"

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2008, 09:00:54 pm »
My attempt at posting a totally unnecessary ski pic! :D
My friend Irina, took this picture at Vail with 6-8 inches of fresh stuff on the ground.

Jim, you inserting that picture of you trying on the jacket AFTER I posted could have potentially gotten me into a LOT of trouble. Not fair, not fair she cries!
Good thing the gang either ignored or did not notice 1

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 01:11:05 pm by midwif »
"Play it Sam"

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2008, 05:03:27 am »
Ron! Quick, man the barricades! Heat up the boiling oil! Ready the archers! We're being hijacked!

And, in a desperate attempt to save the thread, Viking describes his latest quest......

Say Ron, I had a delightful cup last night (decaf, of course).  A very dark roast (almost black), very pungent in the cup, with burnt toast overtones and caramel undertones.  It had a lingering finish, and the aftertaste was there for at least 20 minutes, enough for most of the third period of the Philly-Pittsburgh game.  But the trouble with decaf is, that I find it blonds too quickly -- 15 seconds of dark elixir, and then it washes out.  Nothing I do can improve it.  I know you're an espresso newbie, but do you have any tips on how to improve the shot quality? Perhaps the new grinder will help, but I fear there are just not enough essential oils left in the bean after the decaffeinating process to ever pull a real shot like with regular beans. Or maybe the beans are just too darkly roasted? What's your opinion?

(come on Ron, pull through for me here...save this thread)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 05:24:41 am by Viking »

Glenn

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2008, 06:09:26 am »
I saw that coffee machine set up and thought: "OK, that's just nuts." Then I remembered I have 3 lawnmowers. Nuttiness comes in a variety of flavors.  ;D

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2008, 06:52:38 am »
OK - I'm definitely not nuts.  Sheesh! A couple of guys get an espresso machine, and proudly post pics of their finely crafted piece of gleaming stainless, and then try to have an earnest discussion of the finer points of the art of the bean, and what do we get? Hijacked! And have our sanity called into question!!! I'm outraged! Outraged, I tell you!  >:( >:( >:(

Ron, where are you?  Help me out here, bud.... ::)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 07:23:34 am by Viking »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2008, 07:42:06 am »
I saw that coffee machine set up and thought: "OK, that's just nuts." Then I remembered I have 3 lawnmowers. Nuttiness comes in a variety of flavors.? ;D

Actually, it's just beans, but the behavior is ....

When I saw the pictures, I was reminded of Tim (the Toolman) Taylor and his ongoing quest for "more power".

I guess we can all be a "little bit obsessive" in different areas of our life.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2008, 08:02:02 am »
Ron is out having his ice cofee from Dunkin Donuts right now....

Hey Jim...man you styln' with that jacket....and the skis....why they look so shiny...my, my!
I'm guessing the IM78's are going to get lots of rest this season cause those Mag's will do just about it all!

Bet you too can't wait to get out there and drive those babies!...looking good!

Lynn....awesome counter and are you kidding me...the snow...it looks absolutely perfect!~ ;D
Can't wait to make turns with everyone again!

G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2008, 08:21:12 am »
The iM78's are still my Clorado/Utah ski.? I really like their feel.? I changed from the i.SL chip (66mm waist) to the Magnum (70mm wasit) for local hills and northeast skiing after Peter named it his "skill development ski of the year" and PatProf's comments about it (he was in my group at my first Harb camp).? I'm probably going to take a Harb camp next year as well.

Following you guys around pointed out some skill development needs and better conditioning. Thank YOU for the wake up call.

I even noticed how good the arm position is in Lynn's picture, I had never heard Harald's desire to see daylight under the arms before, as a small example.

By the way, you can feel free to offer your honest opinion of the jacket.  I can see that it's not ORANGE.   ;D

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:22:46 am by jim-ratliff »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2008, 09:59:47 am »
I'm back!  I was at rehab. OK

1- start your damn thread, coffee and skiing go hand-in-hand. Tough terds! 

2- Gary, No, not a drunkin donuts... come on dude, you should know better :)

3- Viking, yes, I thin you got it right on the nose, not enough oils left. I haven't played around with decaf yet but you may want to speak to someone at counter Culture or even Dawg about where to get the best decaf beans, There's no way to keep all the oils with the process. Essentially, you are soaking the beans to draw out the caffienne;  Baby out with the bathwater syndrome. Maybe try a blend of regular and decaf?

4- Jim, I love the jacket!  Go for it!  Get a nice pair of Kjust black pants to go with it. Your rockin' dude!

5- Jim, go for the magnum, I am really intrigued by that ski. that or the Fischer progressor 8. No offense, I don't really care for the 78. a good ski, but too damp for my tastes

6- Lynn, got to love the pow pics baby!

Glenn

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2008, 10:06:30 am »
My wife went to D&D yesterday. They'd only give her one ice coffee because it was only her in the vehicle. She was trying to get another for a co-worker.

Oh and Ron, we have a D&D and gift card that we use and reload exlusively for skiing. It's stashed away in the center consol of my Jeep. When we found the shortcut to Mt. Snow, it bypassed the D&D. McDonald's provides a suiteable alternative. Problem is, it's a bit of a hike from the mountain and I start to get sleepy before we arrive. I'm thinking next season I'll have to take my chances with the "God only knows how long this sh_t has been sitting here" Green Mountain coffe at the 7-11 about 5 minutes from the mountain. I'm just in it for the cafine.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2008, 10:10:00 am »
that's fine, one step at a time...... we'll win you over.  >:D

Glenn

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2008, 10:15:35 am »
I can only picture you cringing as you read this. Almost like me reading about someone taking their spanking new Audi RS6 to Jiffy Lube for an oil change.  :o

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2008, 11:06:47 am »
YES!  You are speaking with a 3 BMW family. X5 4.8, X3 and 330 Convertible........

Glenn

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2008, 12:57:44 pm »
We don't have an RS6.....but the A6 treats us nice.  8)