Author Topic: coffee, french press and espresso  (Read 2088 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: coffee, french press and espresso
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2008, 05:03:27 am »
Ron! Quick, man the barricades! Heat up the boiling oil! Ready the archers! We're being hijacked!

And, in a desperate attempt to save the thread, Viking describes his latest quest......

Say Ron, I had a delightful cup last night (decaf, of course).  A very dark roast (almost black), very pungent in the cup, with burnt toast overtones and caramel undertones.  It had a lingering finish, and the aftertaste was there for at least 20 minutes, enough for most of the third period of the Philly-Pittsburgh game.  But the trouble with decaf is, that I find it blonds too quickly -- 15 seconds of dark elixir, and then it washes out.  Nothing I do can improve it.  I know you're an espresso newbie, but do you have any tips on how to improve the shot quality? Perhaps the new grinder will help, but I fear there are just not enough essential oils left in the bean after the decaffeinating process to ever pull a real shot like with regular beans. Or maybe the beans are just too darkly roasted? What's your opinion?

(come on Ron, pull through for me here...save this thread)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 05:24:41 am by Viking »