Author Topic: New skis for Mrs. Viking...advice needed  (Read 574 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: New skis for Mrs. Viking...advice needed
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 07:36:31 am »
The marzocco is at "his" local coffee shop. Interesting comments from his ski shop, Head had some real problems with delam on the 88's and 82's, my SS's chipped along the edges. Still a great ski and i wouldn't let that stop me from buying one.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 11:23:36 am »

I imagine all manufacturers sometimes have problems with manufacturing/design defects.  However, I have heard the same thing from others that Lynn said below, that Head is one of the best at honoring the manufacturer's warranty which I believe is 3 years if the skis also have Tyrolia bindings and one year if a different binding is mounted.  (How's that for an incentive to buy 'system' skis?)
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 11:38:11 am »
This gets confusing, and I guess it's best not to read too much into this, and besmirch a company because of problems with a couple of skis.  I was quite surprised to hear this from Scott's shop actually, as his online comments on Epic regarding Fischer have always been that they are some of the best skis made right now, both in performance and quality.  But everything I've heard about Head warranty service has been very good, and your comments on the 3 year warranty just solidifies it.  Nice one! The comments from stores here in Canada about Head, is that their warranty service is very slow, but no-one has said that they don't take care of their customers and honour their obligations.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2008, 12:35:11 pm »
I wouldn't hesitate to buy Head or Fischer skis based on anything here.? It may almost be a reverse? psychology, you have to be talking to pretty knowledgeable people like Scott and Ron to even hear about the problems, and the problems may only be showing up from that top 5% of skiers that really push the skis and ski a lot of days.? Many of these guys skis more days in one year than I will in 5, and do it at a much higher level on more challenging terrain.

For example, how can you not have skis delaminating if Gary is standing in the deep snow pee'ing on them.  Too much rapid heat change, going from very cold, to warm, then back to cold in just a few bief moments.  Not the kind of thing that they can readily simulate during factory testing.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 12:45:14 pm by jim-ratliff »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2008, 12:36:40 pm »
Fischer is one year on skis, 4 on bindings. But don't buy the ski based on the warrenty!!!!

Demo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim, you are very knowledgeable!?

for got to add:  Head warrenty, 2 year if ski and ty bindings.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 12:48:27 pm by Ron »

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2008, 12:53:44 pm »
Hey Ron, double check Tyrolia. I thought sure it was 2 MORE years if Tyrolia bindings mounted on Head skis for a total of 3.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2008, 01:05:42 pm »
I could be wrong, but pretty sure its a one year warranty on the skis, doubled to 2 if you buy the ty binding. I looked on the site and couldn't locate a ski specific warranty.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 02:04:15 pm »
Now Jim..one little moisture event on a ski, albeit from the heart...well or near my heart..would not make a ski wither on the vine.

I have had a steel edge on my former Head IM82's pull away and Head was on the way to replacing it no charge and with the newer model when I changed my mind and swithced to the Watea 84. Now that IM82 separated because of a factory defect I'm sure...cause well,....I never pee on my own skis!  ;D

G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 02:32:02 pm »
Now Jim..one little moisture event on a ski, albeit from the heart...well or near my heart..would not make a ski wither on the vine.

I have had a steel edge on my former Head IM82's pull away and Head was on the way to replacing it no charge and with the newer model when I changed my mind and swithced to the Watea 84. Now that IM82 separated because of a factory defect I'm sure...cause well,....I never pee on my own skis!? ;D

G

;D  ;D  ;D  Did you pee on Lynn's at some point??  'Cause she says she's having some kind of problem with the screws pulling out of hers.
 ;) ;) ;) ;)  Oh, I get it.  Lynn has finally admitted that she's got a couple of screws loose.  I LOVE IT.   >:D  >:D

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 07:14:38 pm »
A "moisture event from the heart"??? Gary...I know you Mediterranean types are sensitive and emotional, but were you crying on your skis too? Dear, dear, something must have really upset you, poor fellow, to make you lose bladder control and open up the tear ducts.  I know...a gorgeous damsel, resplendent in a pure-white Spyder suit, as pure as the freshly fallen snow, took a tumble and needed rescuing by a gallant Knight...and Jim got there first!  :'( :'( :'(

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2008, 09:31:24 am »
HAPEENESS is really what it was....just being there, in the momment...one with the elements, my boards..... :'(

PURE HAPEENESS!!? ;D

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2008, 05:38:35 pm »

;D  ;D  ;D  Did you pee on Lynn's at some point??  'Cause she says she's having some kind of problem with the screws pulling out of hers.
 ;) ;) ;) ;)  Oh, I get it.  Lynn has finally admitted that she's got a couple of screws loose.  I LOVE IT.   >:D  >:D

Okay, Ratliff. Its not even summer and you are up to your old BAD habits. Foot in mouth anyone???? ::) ::) ::)
Good thing I know how mild mannered and gentlemanly you are in person, OR you MIGHT BE SCHLEPPING next season too!!! ;D ;D ;D

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2008, 12:04:27 pm »
 ;) ;D? Kind of sort of sounds to me like someone is already becoming desperate to manipulate someone else into carrying their bags and skis and espresso machine at RS III next December.?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 12:28:56 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2008, 01:12:16 pm »
;) ;D  Kind of sort of sounds to me like someone is already becoming desperate to manipulate someone else into carrying their bags and skis and espresso machine at RS III next December. 

Manipulate?? Moi?? :o :o
I did not insult ANYONE's mental status, did I?? ???
So, instead of flinging these kind of unkind comments, how about slinging some bags?? >:D >:D >:D ;D ;D ;D
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2008, 10:00:57 am »
now do you understand why I always sleep with my door dead-bolted at night when skiing with this gang!? ;D