Author Topic: OK Svend....spill the beans!  (Read 441 times)

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: OK Svend....spill the beans!
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 02:17:25 pm »

Svend:  I agree with Gary that the binding in the picture is in the 'stiff' position.

Gary:  My understanding was that they were trying to combine the FreeFlex capability (fixed toe, floating heel) with the ease of mounting of the Railflex.  Currently, as you know, FreeFlex bindings have to be screwed onto the plate.  They were trying to simplify/quicken this process (almost like demo bindings).  But I haven't seen one so am mostly guessing.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 02:19:22 pm »
I need to see one. But it does appear to make it simplistic. And yes, take them out of the stiff position.

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 02:23:47 pm »
Hey Guys -- the binding is essentially the same as the old FF14 Plus, insofar as the toe and heel pieces are the same.  But the center joining plates differ in that the springs are gone in the new Pro model, and there is no more adjustment possible to engage or disengage the springs.  The central screw is there just to hold the two together.  As for moving the binding fore and aft, it is the same as the old bindings -- you have to unscrew the toe and heel pieces from the plate and reseat them in another set of holes.  This isn't like the Railflex, if that's what you were thinking -- I saw him mount them in the shop, and they are just like the old FF.

All-in-all, I'm not that impressed with the changes in the binding -- the central metal plate where the springs used to be, is a cheap piece of stamped metal, with a Made in China feel to it.  Not your usual Austrian quality, that's for sure.  Not sure why they did away with the springs, unless the new plate makes them redundant, in that it acts as a stabilizer for rebound control.  The new SP13 plate is certainly more robust than the old CP13, so perhaps the springs are unnecessary.

Good advice about the springs on my wife's skis -- we had planned to try them next winter in the disengaged position to make the ski flex a bit softer.

Yeah, about the head start thing...I've been doing that for too long, my friend, and still it's not enough.  Mrs. V "claims" that she's been giving me a 2/3 of the run head start, and still beats me to the lift.  Now, this has never been independently verified, so there is some question as to the validity of the claim.  Perhaps I could borrow your helmet cam and aim it backwards, so I can film her at the moment of takeoff.  Very vexing, let me tell you.  In case you hadn't put two-and-two together yet, just ask yourself...why did Svend buy such fast skis?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:04:34 am by Viking »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2008, 07:13:50 am »
keep the skis on edge! 

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 08:05:36 am »
Svend:

Tell your wife that skiing is like sex, the goal is not to see how fast you can get it over with.? Let her know that you ski at a pace that's desigined to allow you to savor the experience and prolong the pleasure and enjoyment and that, in true Frank Sinatra fashion, you are adamant in doing it your way in this matter.

You might also tell her that Harald Harb says that skiing fast hides a multitude of skill development issues related to balance, and you are trying to ski slowly enough to develop good skills (I use that one all the time).

;D? ;D? And then tell us what she says in return, cause it could be really good.? I can imagine several retorts, but I ain't about to list any of them here.

Jim
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 08:33:43 am »
Oooh, that's a good one, Jim! I'm beginning to like hanging around here.  Solutions to all of life's little problems can be found right here on the ski forum...ski buying (natch), espresso making, cars, marital inequities, sex, ED, aching groins, incontinence, fashion advice....its all here!  Who needs Oprah? We've got it covered with Jim, and Gary and Lyn and Ron and Dr. Perry. 

And I will definitely post Mrs. V's replies, but only those appropriate to a mature, serious venue such as this one.   ;)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 08:46:29 am »
Svend:

Tell your wife that skiing is like sex, the goal is not to see how fast you can get it over with.? Let her know that you ski at a pace that's desigined to allow you to savor the experience and prolong the pleasure and enjoyment and that, in true Frank Sinatra fashion, you are adamant in doing it your way in this matter.

You might also tell her that Harald Harb says that skiing fast hides a multitude of skill development issues related to balance, and you are trying to ski slowly enough to develop good skills (I use that one all the time).

;D? ;D? And then tell us what she says in return, cause it could be really good.? I can imagine several retorts, but I ain't about to list any of them here.

Jim

yes, but skiing fast is a hell of a lot of fun! Ski slow when doing drills, but throttle down when it's game time (unless its powder, then go slow and enjoy the ride) :)