Author Topic: Best Wishes, good vibes and prayers for Gary!  (Read 477 times)

Glenn

Re: Best Wishes, good vibes and prayers for Gary!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 06:10:49 am »
Oh boy! Keep us posted Gary!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 09:34:31 am »
Hey Gang...while Ron's off to Italy stuffing his face with pepperoni.....let me bring you up to speed.

After the Tendon repair on Dec 24th...4 weeks later when the cast came off there was no pronate or supinate of the hand...the 2 bones in the forearm locked cause my little stem cells sent more repairmen in the necessary. This happens in under 3% of bicep tendon resections....go figure.....ANyways had a great season even with the brace they didn't want me to ski with.

OK, so,  the local Dr. here that did a wonderful job of reconnecting the tendon has never done the forearm release....so off to the expert in Chicago and they were just great. 4-6 weeks of rehab, Indocin 2X per day to prevent bone growth (they also radiated the area the day after the surgery) and I'll be swinging the golf clubs. WOuld prefer to be on the snow but, oh well.

Thanks for all your good wishes and Jim...I had the helmet on with the camera...the shots should be great.

And Lynn..they had me hooked up to a morphine pump which I did not use but they insisted I take a Vicadin the next morning and that knocked me on my butt...so no more of that. The pain is minimal and it feels so good to have the simple pleasure of the hand being able to rotate for just every normal day motions.

Best to all and thanks again!  ;D
Gary

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 09:47:46 am »
Gary:

Good to hear, and thanks for the report.? Was it one finger typing or two handed typing for the message?? I would really like your opinion on replacing the carve plate with railflex plate on my new SuperShape magnums (but that's another topic).

And very glad to hear that you were protected by your Good Luck Charm, that ugly Orange Helmet (which I have to confess looks a lot less ugly with the new jacket).

Take care, get well, and work your butt off in Physical Therapy, it pays dividends.

Jim

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Glenn

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 10:04:03 am »
Bicep tendon repair with locking...I'm going to run that one by my wife.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 02:21:03 pm »
Nope Jim...both hands are working well on the key board. I just feel like I can get back to full upper body training but the docs...every freakn' one of them want me to wait. The legs and core body are ready for 3,000 ft verticals but since that season is passing us by....I'll be a good boy and listen to the docs.

Jim...if I may....I prefer the railflex plate just on the basis of adjustability relative to your center mass and control over the ski.

And working my butt off in PT..no problem...I'm in my home gym 5 days a week training so what's adding another 11/2 hours per day to get the arm working right....I'm all over it.

Hey Glenn, what occurred to my arm is called "heterotopic ossification" and the procedure entailed using a drumel tool ( how appropriate) and deburring tools to grind out the extra bone that amassed itself in my forearm.

Thanks guys,

Gary

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 02:41:06 pm »
Gary:

But the real question is? ta-ta-ta-taaa what type of "bone wax" did they use to facilitate the bones sliding smoothly as they rotate and do their thing.   ;D  >:(  ???

Working your butt off in PT has another aspect, and that is doing it within the limits and constraints of the doctors.? Glad to hear it is going well.

I agree with your Railflex feelings, just not sure if it's worth taking the CP13 plate off and (maybe) redrilling to mount the RailFlex plate.? I wouldn't even consider it if Lynn hadn't scored the railflex bindings and said she bought 4 even though she only needed 1.? At those prices, I couldn't argue with her logic.  Would be very nice if Head had decided to standardize their plate mounting and the Railflex plates used the same screw holes as the CP13 plate.
  Hmmmm.

By the way, the demo night at Rons, what did you use to smooth the little nicks and burrs in the top sheet?  I now have a Beast sharpening kit and even took your advice and got a ceramic stone in addition to a diamond stone and multiple angle plates for different side bevels.  Going to practise this summer on some old pairs of skis.

Jim

Glenn

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 06:25:11 am »
Thanks Gary! Now that I have the name, I can ask my wife about it. I went to business school, so my non medical explanation would have gone like this: "It's that thing...where you bones fuse in your lower arm...and then you can't move your hand a certain way.."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 09:17:52 am »
Ok Jim...no bone wax but they did use something akin to a ceramic stone to smooth down the bone after the "evil" bone was ground into smithereens!

Jim......you got me thinking here....I think that plate has pre-set mounting locations. Having said that, I moved my binding location on my 165 SS up to the next notch just to change my center mass and I LOVE THEM THERE! No drilling required.

Maybe a bit of prudence is require...(no, not prunejuice) Ski that magnificnet ski in it's current set up...(baseline test) see how she handles....(why is it always a she when it comes to handling). If you feel you need a bit more action from the front end....(oh boy...what evil dialogue have I unearthed here) then move the mounting forward.

For this ski, it maybe just a matter of experimenting with your center mass location and a quick fix of moving the current binding forward....or not...depending how "she"handles.  Then, if you think you want MORE  fore/aft flexability with your ski, that Railflex opens new doors!

Glenn,....my wife is also in the medical field and is always educating me in such regards.

Ok...I'm dropn' in! Wahoooooooooooooooo ooo.....

G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 09:28:36 am »
Gary:

Thought of that.? The CP13 plate has sets of pre-drilled holes for various boot sole lengths, but for my boot sole length I am already in the front set of holes so can't move anymore.? You must have shorter feet? ;D (or at least boots) than me.? ?But hearing that you like the SS's moved forward is even more convincing that this is something to contemplate.

Maybe a bit of prudence is require...(no, not prunejuice) Ski that magnificnet ski in it's current set up...(baseline test) see how she handles....(why is it always a she when it comes to handling). If you feel you need a bit more action from the front end....(oh boy...what evil dialogue have I unearthed here) then move the mounting forward.
As I learned yesterday? ;) we refer to skis as she because they are part of our harem.? (like that much better than quiver).

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 10:03:24 am »
Sorry you have no more holes to play with....hmm.....hmm m...hmmmmmm......OK , I still reccomend you ski them first before changing the plate or maybe just have your foot size reduced.? They're doing wondeful things in plastic surgery now days.
BTW:
That is the same plate on my SS....I don't think I'd mess with it unless you really feel like you were hopelessly stuck in the back seat.

And as far as a harem, Ron is fast becoming "THE KING"! But still, a harem.....our cars, boats, planes, and tools.....I think there must be more to the assignment of "sheisms" to those possessions we so care about.

Yup...just perfect timing for a site highjacking!

Gary

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 11:28:10 am »
You guys are turning this into a **** thread, what with your harems, mounting positions and "action in the front"! >:D
I am shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED!!! :o ;D ;)

You are obviously feeling pretty chipper, Gary.
Taking any pain meds?? :D

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 01:11:02 pm »
You guys are turning this into a **** thread, what with your harems, mounting positions and "action in the front"! >:D
I am shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED!!! :o ;D ;)

You are obviously feeling pretty chipper, Gary.
Taking any pain meds?? :D

Lynn

Lynn, you forgot "see how she handles".
Yes Gary, I to am shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED!!! :o ;D ;) and so disappointed in you.

So shocked that I am laughing on the floor.? Excellent post, Lynn.? I, for one, would never assault the sensibilities of a member of the fairer sex in such a callous fashion as Mr. Cassara has done.? Guess Gary schleps your luggage this year.? ?;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 07:12:34 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 05:53:24 pm »
Jim
How can I ask a man who has just undergone the most excruiating arm surgery, what with all the bone drilling, bone pulverizing, etc, to schlepp my bags?? :-[ :o
Now, if you were a true friend to Gary and a gentleman to me, YOU would offer to schlepp the bags. 
I no longer remember quite what led to you being under the obligation (self imposed, I believe) of schlepping my bags at the airport, but you did an exemplary job!!
After you stopped whining, that is. ;D >:D

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 07:28:34 pm »
Like Ron, I sense bait (with hook) attached and dangling in the water.? ?>:D? >:D
Unlike Ron, I think I'll take the bait and see if I can swim away.? :o? :o

1. I can tell from his posts of the last several days that Gary is in pretty high spirits, so don't talk to me about excruciating pain.
2. Perhaps you forget that I had spinal surgery in June of last year, and could barely use one leg due to loss of muscle, and you didn't cut me ANY slack on schlepping your bags.
3. The :P whining :P was just me seeking some appreciation of the GENTLEMANLY sacrifice I was making in order to give you time to acclimatize to the altitude.

4. The punishment was NOT self imposed, but was levied by Judge Ron in lieu of a wine offering.? The judgement was that simple Kansas Farm Boy had innocently posted a skiing recollection that Ron and Gary deemed offensive to the lady from the Bronx.
5.? The situation was the surprise (with some frustration) rooming assignments when my Son invited me on their ski trip and his wife invited a female Air Force captain friend of hers.? >:D? >:D? >:D

6. My greatest joy of the week was seeing how embarrassed you were that I was actually carrying your bags for you.? That was tough for you to allow, wasn't it??  ???
7.? ::) ::) ::) What a strange way to meet a good friend, huh??? ? ?::)? ::)? :-[

For ALL that weren't there, this is how you can tell skiing season is over.?
No more doing, so lots and lots of talking about skiing.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 07:48:26 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 07:55:49 pm »
Actually Jim, Now that I reach back thru the foggy recesses of my mind,
I have a vague recollection of the sentence passed for bag schlepping being related to your unbounded glee when you discovered I enjoyed doing circumcisions.
And the FALSE stories arising from that!!! ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 07:34:09 am by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"