Author Topic: Best Wishes, good vibes and prayers for Gary!  (Read 476 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Best Wishes, good vibes and prayers for Gary!
« on: April 09, 2008, 07:01:02 am »
Gary goes in for round two of surgery on his arm on Friday, Lets all keep him in our thoughts and wish him a speedy, pain-free and most importantly, full recovery. I am sending him an Aspen tree as a get-well gift...... >:D

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Best Wishes, good vibes and prayers for Gary!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:30:57 am »

Best wishes Gary.   :)

Most importantly, where did you find a doctor that understands that skiing is more important than getting fixed?   ;D

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 07:36:28 am »
I think he found a dr that could fix his arm so he could continue to ski. Now next season is another story and who knows what damage he can incur...... ;D

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:24:58 am »
Gary

If you see a white light, DON"T GO TOWARD IT!!
There's an aspen tree hiding right behind it! >:D

Best of luck. Hope all reattachments go smoothly.
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:29:04 am »
Jim, I just re-read your post regarding where did he find the doctor-  Alice tracked down a real expert in Chicago. I just got off the phone with him, he's in Chicago now and will be tied up all day with tests and crap, Alice will call to say all is OK and they didnt' cut off anything they shouldn't have :)

He thanks everyone for their thoughts and prayers. I read him all the posts!

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 10:28:05 am »
 ;D

Tell him to wear the orange helmet, just in case.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 10:34:58 am »
now that's funny. Gary lying there on a gurny with nothing on but a white surgical robe (ass hangin out!) and his helmet,,, ROTHFLOL   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

gregmerz

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:09:43 am »
Best wishes and here's to speedy rehab !

Glenn

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 11:00:09 am »
Best wishes Gary!

What kind of surgery? Mrs. Glenn is a certified hand therapist; chances are, she's see and treated whatever you're going through. Again, hoping for the best!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 11:26:37 am »
I don't know the technical name but his radius and ulna partially fused following his ligement to bicep re-attachment surgery. Waht happens is he can't rotate his hand left to right. He can ski but it basically rules out golf and anything like that. Even daily tasks like holding a pot. Dam those trees!

Glenn

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 01:25:47 pm »
My wife will know what the technical term for that is. I'll ask her.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 07:33:54 am »
Spoke to Gary last night, all is well, he's hooked up to a machine that constantly rotates his arm to keep the range of motion. He will try to chime in so in the mean time, its open season on the gimp.  ;D

Glenn

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 09:44:19 am »
It's going to take him 20 minutes to make a 3 line post.  ;)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 10:43:58 am »
and thats with both hands....

UPDATE: Gary takes pain killer and indicin (anti-inflamatory) and almost passes out in rehab. There's so much good material there....

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 08:51:43 pm »
OOOhhh, details please!
You can't have ALL the fun! >:D
"Play it Sam"

Glenn

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 06:10:49 am »
Oh boy! Keep us posted Gary!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 09:34:31 am »
Hey Gang...while Ron's off to Italy stuffing his face with pepperoni.....let me bring you up to speed.

After the Tendon repair on Dec 24th...4 weeks later when the cast came off there was no pronate or supinate of the hand...the 2 bones in the forearm locked cause my little stem cells sent more repairmen in the necessary. This happens in under 3% of bicep tendon resections....go figure.....ANyways had a great season even with the brace they didn't want me to ski with.

OK, so,  the local Dr. here that did a wonderful job of reconnecting the tendon has never done the forearm release....so off to the expert in Chicago and they were just great. 4-6 weeks of rehab, Indocin 2X per day to prevent bone growth (they also radiated the area the day after the surgery) and I'll be swinging the golf clubs. WOuld prefer to be on the snow but, oh well.

Thanks for all your good wishes and Jim...I had the helmet on with the camera...the shots should be great.

And Lynn..they had me hooked up to a morphine pump which I did not use but they insisted I take a Vicadin the next morning and that knocked me on my butt...so no more of that. The pain is minimal and it feels so good to have the simple pleasure of the hand being able to rotate for just every normal day motions.

Best to all and thanks again!  ;D
Gary

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 09:47:46 am »
Gary:

Good to hear, and thanks for the report.? Was it one finger typing or two handed typing for the message?? I would really like your opinion on replacing the carve plate with railflex plate on my new SuperShape magnums (but that's another topic).

And very glad to hear that you were protected by your Good Luck Charm, that ugly Orange Helmet (which I have to confess looks a lot less ugly with the new jacket).

Take care, get well, and work your butt off in Physical Therapy, it pays dividends.

Jim

Glenn

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 10:04:03 am »
Bicep tendon repair with locking...I'm going to run that one by my wife.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 02:21:03 pm »
Nope Jim...both hands are working well on the key board. I just feel like I can get back to full upper body training but the docs...every freakn' one of them want me to wait. The legs and core body are ready for 3,000 ft verticals but since that season is passing us by....I'll be a good boy and listen to the docs.

Jim...if I may....I prefer the railflex plate just on the basis of adjustability relative to your center mass and control over the ski.

And working my butt off in PT..no problem...I'm in my home gym 5 days a week training so what's adding another 11/2 hours per day to get the arm working right....I'm all over it.

Hey Glenn, what occurred to my arm is called "heterotopic ossification" and the procedure entailed using a drumel tool ( how appropriate) and deburring tools to grind out the extra bone that amassed itself in my forearm.

Thanks guys,

Gary

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 02:41:06 pm »
Gary:

But the real question is? ta-ta-ta-taaa what type of "bone wax" did they use to facilitate the bones sliding smoothly as they rotate and do their thing.   ;D  >:(  ???

Working your butt off in PT has another aspect, and that is doing it within the limits and constraints of the doctors.? Glad to hear it is going well.

I agree with your Railflex feelings, just not sure if it's worth taking the CP13 plate off and (maybe) redrilling to mount the RailFlex plate.? I wouldn't even consider it if Lynn hadn't scored the railflex bindings and said she bought 4 even though she only needed 1.? At those prices, I couldn't argue with her logic.  Would be very nice if Head had decided to standardize their plate mounting and the Railflex plates used the same screw holes as the CP13 plate.
  Hmmmm.

By the way, the demo night at Rons, what did you use to smooth the little nicks and burrs in the top sheet?  I now have a Beast sharpening kit and even took your advice and got a ceramic stone in addition to a diamond stone and multiple angle plates for different side bevels.  Going to practise this summer on some old pairs of skis.

Jim

Glenn

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 06:25:11 am »
Thanks Gary! Now that I have the name, I can ask my wife about it. I went to business school, so my non medical explanation would have gone like this: "It's that thing...where you bones fuse in your lower arm...and then you can't move your hand a certain way.."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 09:17:52 am »
Ok Jim...no bone wax but they did use something akin to a ceramic stone to smooth down the bone after the "evil" bone was ground into smithereens!

Jim......you got me thinking here....I think that plate has pre-set mounting locations. Having said that, I moved my binding location on my 165 SS up to the next notch just to change my center mass and I LOVE THEM THERE! No drilling required.

Maybe a bit of prudence is require...(no, not prunejuice) Ski that magnificnet ski in it's current set up...(baseline test) see how she handles....(why is it always a she when it comes to handling). If you feel you need a bit more action from the front end....(oh boy...what evil dialogue have I unearthed here) then move the mounting forward.

For this ski, it maybe just a matter of experimenting with your center mass location and a quick fix of moving the current binding forward....or not...depending how "she"handles.  Then, if you think you want MORE  fore/aft flexability with your ski, that Railflex opens new doors!

Glenn,....my wife is also in the medical field and is always educating me in such regards.

Ok...I'm dropn' in! Wahoooooooooooooooo ooo.....

G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 09:28:36 am »
Gary:

Thought of that.? The CP13 plate has sets of pre-drilled holes for various boot sole lengths, but for my boot sole length I am already in the front set of holes so can't move anymore.? You must have shorter feet? ;D (or at least boots) than me.? ?But hearing that you like the SS's moved forward is even more convincing that this is something to contemplate.

Maybe a bit of prudence is require...(no, not prunejuice) Ski that magnificnet ski in it's current set up...(baseline test) see how she handles....(why is it always a she when it comes to handling). If you feel you need a bit more action from the front end....(oh boy...what evil dialogue have I unearthed here) then move the mounting forward.
As I learned yesterday? ;) we refer to skis as she because they are part of our harem.? (like that much better than quiver).

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 10:03:24 am »
Sorry you have no more holes to play with....hmm.....hmm m...hmmmmmm......OK , I still reccomend you ski them first before changing the plate or maybe just have your foot size reduced.? They're doing wondeful things in plastic surgery now days.
BTW:
That is the same plate on my SS....I don't think I'd mess with it unless you really feel like you were hopelessly stuck in the back seat.

And as far as a harem, Ron is fast becoming "THE KING"! But still, a harem.....our cars, boats, planes, and tools.....I think there must be more to the assignment of "sheisms" to those possessions we so care about.

Yup...just perfect timing for a site highjacking!

Gary

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 11:28:10 am »
You guys are turning this into a **** thread, what with your harems, mounting positions and "action in the front"! >:D
I am shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED!!! :o ;D ;)

You are obviously feeling pretty chipper, Gary.
Taking any pain meds?? :D

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 01:11:02 pm »
You guys are turning this into a **** thread, what with your harems, mounting positions and "action in the front"! >:D
I am shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED!!! :o ;D ;)

You are obviously feeling pretty chipper, Gary.
Taking any pain meds?? :D

Lynn

Lynn, you forgot "see how she handles".
Yes Gary, I to am shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED!!! :o ;D ;) and so disappointed in you.

So shocked that I am laughing on the floor.? Excellent post, Lynn.? I, for one, would never assault the sensibilities of a member of the fairer sex in such a callous fashion as Mr. Cassara has done.? Guess Gary schleps your luggage this year.? ?;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 07:12:34 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 05:53:24 pm »
Jim
How can I ask a man who has just undergone the most excruiating arm surgery, what with all the bone drilling, bone pulverizing, etc, to schlepp my bags?? :-[ :o
Now, if you were a true friend to Gary and a gentleman to me, YOU would offer to schlepp the bags. 
I no longer remember quite what led to you being under the obligation (self imposed, I believe) of schlepping my bags at the airport, but you did an exemplary job!!
After you stopped whining, that is. ;D >:D

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 07:28:34 pm »
Like Ron, I sense bait (with hook) attached and dangling in the water.? ?>:D? >:D
Unlike Ron, I think I'll take the bait and see if I can swim away.? :o? :o

1. I can tell from his posts of the last several days that Gary is in pretty high spirits, so don't talk to me about excruciating pain.
2. Perhaps you forget that I had spinal surgery in June of last year, and could barely use one leg due to loss of muscle, and you didn't cut me ANY slack on schlepping your bags.
3. The :P whining :P was just me seeking some appreciation of the GENTLEMANLY sacrifice I was making in order to give you time to acclimatize to the altitude.

4. The punishment was NOT self imposed, but was levied by Judge Ron in lieu of a wine offering.? The judgement was that simple Kansas Farm Boy had innocently posted a skiing recollection that Ron and Gary deemed offensive to the lady from the Bronx.
5.? The situation was the surprise (with some frustration) rooming assignments when my Son invited me on their ski trip and his wife invited a female Air Force captain friend of hers.? >:D? >:D? >:D

6. My greatest joy of the week was seeing how embarrassed you were that I was actually carrying your bags for you.? That was tough for you to allow, wasn't it??  ???
7.? ::) ::) ::) What a strange way to meet a good friend, huh??? ? ?::)? ::)? :-[

For ALL that weren't there, this is how you can tell skiing season is over.?
No more doing, so lots and lots of talking about skiing.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 07:48:26 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 07:55:49 pm »
Actually Jim, Now that I reach back thru the foggy recesses of my mind,
I have a vague recollection of the sentence passed for bag schlepping being related to your unbounded glee when you discovered I enjoyed doing circumcisions.
And the FALSE stories arising from that!!! ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 07:34:09 am by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 09:20:33 am »
Lynn..no pain meds but just high on life...my forearm is starting to have normal motions again. I'm trying to restrain myself from yard work...hmm....and weight training that side but I see the Dr. on the 22nd to remove stitches. Figure if he'll except my arm wrestling challenge, I might be able to start swinging the golf club....yeah, yeah...the yard work and garden shovel too!

And Jim...I think your schlepping punishment should be extended just cause we know there will be more insurrection (oh boy? :'() on my part and Ron just stimulating you (? :o Watch out) to explode ( >:D Yikes) into words that may be abrasive albeit unintentionally and in most cases most witfully applied.

So Jim, let the Maelstrom rip? ;D and accept your fate and title of "Most Venerable Baggage Shelper"!? ::)

Best,
Gary
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 07:40:40 am by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 05:48:09 pm »
In my estimation, Jim was UNABLE to swim away from this. ;)
Yes, folks, once again, Jim has 'volunteered'  :D to carry my luggage at the airport.
HEH, heh, heh, >:D

The only way out Jim, is to NOT show up for RS3.
I don't recommend that. Too much fun to be missed. ;D
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 07:34:33 pm »
And Jim...I think your schlepping punishment should be extended just cause we know there will be more insurrection (oh boy? :'() on my part and
Ron just stimulating you (? :o Watch out) to explode ( >:D Yikes) into words that may be abrasive .......
Best, Gary
Quote from: Bronx Belle
In my estimation, Jim was UNABLE to swim away from this.
Yes, folks, once again, Jim has 'volunteered'? ?to carry my luggage at the airport.
HEH, heh, heh,

The only way out Jim, is to NOT show up for RS3.
I don't recommend that. Too much fun to be missed.

Gary, I think I will pass on the? >:D "stimulating".? ?;D ???? You forget what an all-around nice, well intentioned person I am.

Lynn, you Bronx charmer you!!? No wonder Gary recommended the "temptress" ski for you.? ?
I did "volunteer" last year, but it was ONLY to pick you and Ron up at the airport???? I do seem to remember, however, that after four hours on the plane with you Ron decided to make other arrangements???? ?:D? I think he chose to walk from the airport??
I can only assume that, at your advanced age,? ::) :o? STML must be bothering you this spring.? However, there is an easy way to 'manipulate' me into schlepping your luggage and even your skis.? Being a Kansas gentleman, I would NEVER refuse a LADY? ??? were she to simply ask for such help (and maybe even appreciate the gesture).?

;D? ;D However, I don't at all mind playing the game while you try to lure me into some mis-deed that results in "Forum Judgement" against this simple Kansas hick.? ;D ;D? Maybe the judges will be more objective and less likely to show favoritism to the lady this year than last.?
Bring on your A-game, babee!!

BOY, it's still April.? What will it be like in October.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 07:53:38 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 09:08:08 pm »
Yes, it's true. Ron chose to ride with another friend after he saw the sight of sleeping me on the plane,
drool oh so delicately slipping down my chin. The result of too many Bronx cheers thru the years, I guess.

Oh well, I guess I will have to pull my own overloaded ski bag filled with coffee makings, frother, french press etc,
in addition to transpack, luggage bag and smaller travel bag.

I wouldn't dream of really asking you to help Jim. I know you are at the older end of this crowd and what with your two back surgeries and atrophied leg muscles, any added muscular strain would be too much.? :( :(
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:22:17 pm by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2008, 09:15:24 pm »
I don't suppose you could help me with my bags, could you??? ?:-*
I'm not just at the older end, at 59 I think I am the oldest posting.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:49:13 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2008, 09:27:15 pm »
Why OF COURSE I'll help you Jim. I mean, I will ONLY be lugging my own body weight in luggage, so will be able
to help you with your burden.? 8)
A small request: only one or two pairs of skis this time??? ;)The four you brought last year mostly went unskied and I am not as strong as I used to be. :'(

Quote from: Brad (bf_hill)? >:D
WOW midwif!!? Lugging your own body weight in luggage.? That must be a damn heavy coffee pot and fluffer.? But that is very nice of you to take pity on poor old Jim.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:32:07 pm by gandalf »
"Play it Sam"

bf_hill

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2008, 07:55:06 am »
Quote from: Brad (bf_hill)? >:D
WOW midwif!!? Lugging your own body weight in luggage.? That must be a damn heavy coffee pot and fluffer.? But that is very nice of you to take pity on poor old Jim.

At first? I chalked this up to Jim's senility >:D (see his post in "I sat there with my head"), but now it is obvious that this is a clear-cut case of misuse of? Moderator power. >:(? Not that I wouldn't join the fray and sling mud ;) but the coffee pot and fluffer ??? gives it away as other than my own quote.? Is there like a tribunal or something I can appeal to?? Waiting for another tornado to hit Kansas just isnt' my style. ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2008, 08:07:44 am »

I feel very wrongly accused and methinks young Brad doth protest too much.   >:D

However, it does look to me like we have another candidate for Lynn's luggage schlepping duties.

How callous of him to cast such aspersions of flabbiness on a lady of Lynns sophistication and breeding (never mind that she once admitted that she weighs 156 lbs)?  >:D  >:D

bf_hill

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008, 08:25:29 am »

I feel very wrongly accused

Why? ???? did I miss something else you should be accused of, St. Raymund? (patron saint of the wrongly accused, I know this because my son chose it for his confirmation name)
and methinks young Brad doth protest too much.? ?>:D
pish posh.? Deliberate obfusification, nothing more.? Remember when you point a finger at someone, three more point back at you.? ::)

However, it does look to me like we have another candidate for Lynn's luggage schlepping duties.
I'll carry a tune, carry grant, carry a gun, even commit hari carry,? but I don't carry luggage.? (My sherpa duties at home notwithstanding)

How callous of him to cast such aspersions of flabbiness on a lady of Lynns sophistication and breeding (never mind that she once admitted that she weighs 156 lbs)?? >:D? >:D
? :o A gentleman NEVER comments on a ladies weight so I don't think I need to state the obvious..... >:D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 08:36:10 am by bf_hill »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2008, 08:26:47 am »
The things a guy will do to get out hauling some minor pieces of luggage!!
Using your power as a mod to manipulate posts! For SHAME. :o :o

Good thing Brad has a sense of humor or you might be voted off the mountain. ;D

( too late Brad, I already read your post where you did ask if I weighed 156 ::))

Fortunately, that is not the case. ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 08:29:18 am by midwif »
"Play it Sam"

bf_hill

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2008, 08:32:32 am »

Good thing Brad has a sense of humor
???

or you might be voted off the mountain. ;D
? When can we start?