Author Topic: I'm looking into new skis  (Read 1406 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: I'm looking into new skis
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2008, 09:04:18 am »
Yep 2 quivver ski bag maybe the way to go...eventually.... ..!!!! >:(

BUT I think the buckaroos might be better spent on NEW PAIR OF BOOTS! ;D

G

Glenn

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 05:37:51 am »
All in the works Gary!  ;D  By the start of next season, I'll have some new boots!

If the planets align, the skis should be delivered Friday. I'll then scoot them over to the local shop and have them mounted. I hope and pray they'll be done Saturday so I can take them for a rip Sunday.  >:D

I talked to the shop last week. They said as long as I make and appointment, they should be able to get them done with a quick turnaround.

Glenn

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 06:09:00 am »
Skis came Friday, opened them, snapped some pics and off the shop with the boots and bindings. I talked with the tech for a bit who knew is stuff. We BS's about old bindings "the Vermont tester" and those old Markers with the exposed springs on the side. Saturday AM, I was finishing up and oil change on the Jeep when the phone rings. Skis are done! 20 minutes later, I'm walking out of the shi shop, 65F and sunny...with skis and boots. People must have been all "WTF is that all about?" Oh, and the girl at the shop told me I should upgrade my boots.  :D

We hit Mt. Snow yesterday. Conditions were quite a mix...some ice, some sugary ganular some mashed potatoes. The skis did awesome! They really blast through the crud. I was surprised how easy that are to manuver for a 178. For a stock factory tune, they held reallly well on the ice.

Overall, I'm super happy with these skis! I just wish I had more season left to play on them!

pbarch1

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 03:48:56 pm »
I too am looking for new skies, so much has changed in the last few years that I have no idea what direction to go.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 05:11:05 pm »

Paul:

Tell us about yourself as a skier and where you ski.  We are always willing to help other people spend their money.

Why are you looking for new skis?
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

pbarch1

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 01:51:03 pm »

Paul:

Tell us about yourself as a skier and where you ski.? We are always willing to help other people spend their money.

Why are you looking for new skis?

I'm 215 lbs, skied all my 52 year life. Still ski the whole mountain. Enjoy the steeps and speed the most. I would consider myself an 7-8. In my youth I would have said a 9-10. Work at ALTA a few years in my youth. I have been skiing 2001 Salomon X-screams in a size 8. primarily ski Mammoth these days with a few Rockies trips in the near future. 
I'm looking at K?stle MX 88, volkl AC50, and anything else anyone might suggest.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2009, 02:18:07 pm »
Mantra or sultan would be a candidate. I like that kastle too!? And Phil sells them!!!!!

pbarch1

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2009, 02:44:07 pm »
Mantra or sultan would be a candidate. I like that kastle too!? And Phil sells them!!!!!
what length would you suggest?

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 07:17:32 am »
2 questions- how tall are you?   ad what did you mean about skiing screams in a size 8?  Are you talking boots now or skis?  you weight 215, so I am thinking your shell isn't a 26?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 07:19:13 am by Ron »

pbarch1

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 02:41:27 pm »
I'm 6'3" and skiing the 2001 X-screams, in a size 8 (Salomon used to size their skies with numbers, I think the size 8 is like a 185-190 cm ski)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 03:00:44 pm »
yup, that about right!  most are going to fall into the 183-186 range.  For your height, you should be in the mid 180 range for sure.

pbarch1

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2009, 01:19:36 pm »
Thanks for the input. I do intend on demoing in both sizes before I buy.

pbarch1

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 04:09:23 pm »
OK the outcome, I tested both lengths of the Kastle MX88's over the Christmas holiday, both offered distinct advantages. The 178 was stable, very easy to turn, good in the crud and soft pact. the 188 almost as easy to turn, better in the powder, delivered larger radius turns, both skies carved and held the turn start to finish. It really has come down to personal preference.? For me I'm going with the 188's!! I spend very little time in the bumps and always find myself on the fringes of runs looking for the fastest way down :) This really is an all mountain ski. I would recommend it to anyone. If you haven't given this ski a try you really should.