Author Topic: Better fit=more ski days for resorts  (Read 296 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Better fit=more ski days for resorts
« on: November 09, 2006, 06:59:38 am »
I posted this at Epic to see what kin dof response I get from the folks who work at the resorts but I thought I would post here as well:

Following my recent boot fitting experience (which was excellent) it occured to me that if more people had boots that fit properly and are alligned correctly, more people would enjoy the sport and become better at it. I know that the resorts can't spend two hours fitting every person coming to ski but is there a way they can help get those interested fit better? You never see on the snow allignment or fitting clinics. These could be end up being a big momney maker for the resort; folks who need addtional work or need equipment would be more likely to buy there. I would think these would be very successful?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Better fit=more ski days for resorts
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 10:51:45 am »
I think you are absolutely spot on Ron....

Problem is the resorts would have to be thinking about the "tomorrow dollar" as opposed to the? "today dollar"! They need to be thinking about the future of where the sport is going.
From what I have read, the number of skiers has declined. From my first hand experience teaching at our local mountain...the boots were so crappy, old, generic, to stiff, to big, and no attention to proper fitting. My newbees would come out for their lesson with their longjohns, jeans, ski pants, and hair dryers tucked into their boots. The couldn't flex them, they were too up right, improperly  buckled, and they were too darn big....everywhere! How the heck do you have a fruitfull  lesson where the skier feels like they've accomplished something? I would ALWAYS tell the 1st timer that if they were serious about skiing,  to go right a way to get properly fitted for boots.

Maybe it's just a slow process that is working it's way into main stream, but the shops have got to recognize that if they fail to set up a person first and foremost with the proper fit boots, that person is going to be a skier that struggles and learns that proper equipment is key....or struggles and says "too frustrating, to hard, painful, my knees won't work, my feet can't do that" and then give up the sport.

I just hope the more info we share from our experiences, the word gets out and just maybe in time, Ron, Gary, Jim, and Michael (and a host of others) will have their own bootshop franchise!

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 12:40:47 pm »
Yeah I'm like a refromed smoker now,  I have to tell everyone to get their boots fitted correctly! :)  I guess its not an easy fix, but here's what I would do,

Offer a free evaluation to anyone who wanted it. Explain the issues and importance of the fiit and allignment, Offer discounts to pass holders and other discounts based on dollars spent. guarentee the person will ski better and more comfortably (you can get away with this) Include this deal on every "new skier" package sold and bump the price $5. combine the evaluation with ski demo days and market it as ski improvement clinics, offer free group lessons for the 1st XX people.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 01:34:46 pm »
I nominate you President of our newly non-formed company!

any seconds?

of course as it's stated in the charter, you'll  have to buy all the pizza, beer, airline tickets, ski clothing for the rest of us...

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 07:28:42 am »
Hmm, if I get to buy the clothes, then I am sure the one-piec fart bag i get for  you will be simply stunning! ??? ???

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 11:10:49 am »
Hey, who told you I already had one of those...comes with its own carrier too!

Bringing it to Beaver Creek don't ya know!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 11:31:52 am »
Some how i don't see you in a one-piece, Alice would never let happen!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 01:06:01 pm »
What are you saying Ron...my wife dresses me?

Well you're right about no one piece for me, never saw the value or practicality.

Still,? hmmm, a camo one piece is so utilitarian>>>>>!!!!!!!

I could camo my boots, skis and helmet too. Man, am I a trend setter or what!

Why I'd be always skiing next to my own tree line,

My ski buddies could ski around my and say they've been skiing the glades,

When a tree fell in the woods, no one sees it...so if I fell, heck, no embarassing moment for me.

Can you all tell it's Friday and I need to be skiing somewhere!

Have a great weekend all!
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 08:35:38 am »
GAry, around here at Blue Mtn, there are a lot fo skiers in full camo huming one-peices asa well as many in Carharts one-pieces, Bag a buck in the AM and ski in the afternoon, truly versitile.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 09:39:08 am »
Ron, "camo huming one-pieces"????

musical camo suites, sounds like a skiing ipod  wired for music?

Now there' a novel idea.

Still, I'm not likely to venture to Blue Mountain from where I'm at, but maybe, just mabe, there's some connection between hungting, killing, and skiing.

Not sure..but hey, as long as they're buying lift tickets and no shots are fired on the slopes, no foul!

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 05:40:25 am »
There's alwyas an interesting mix at Blue, You wont; see a lot of Bogner or Kjus, much more likely to see Columbia, TNF,various snowboarding brands and Carhart!  Oh, not to mention the "Eagles" football jackets. Those are usually seen with rear entry boots and sweatpants (never with a helmet)