Author Topic: Hydratoin  (Read 319 times)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Hydratoin
« on: November 16, 2006, 02:56:14 pm »
We all know how important it is to stay hydrated when skiing...especially at elevation.

The past few years I've used the Camel Back hydration system. Problem for me is that, my back heats up and when sitting on a chair lift with no saftey bar, you just can't quite sit back all the way with the hydration bladder full.

So last year, I switched to a 6oz plastic bottle I filled often and kept in my ski jacket.

While placing my begiining of the year seasonal order from Race-Werks, I notcied they have a "Pocket Hydration System". It is a plastic bladder small enough to fit into the inside pocket of my ski jacket, it has a large filler screw cap, and it comes with a hose and high flow bite valve.

I tried it out last night and it fits perfectly, holds they say up to 16oz of your favorite juice or water, the bite tube works great with just the right amount of water flow.

Cost: $14
Check it out... www.race-werks.com

Gary

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Hydratoin
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 08:35:15 am »
Gary, I just loosen my camelback straps so it sits lower and don't fill it all the way. The snowbowl is 32 oz so I fill it about 1/2 way and then refill it at lunch when I add second "dose" of cytomax.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 03:08:06 pm »
Hmm Ron, is cytomax an Australian red wine?

Yeah, I can see lowering that Camel would help when sitting on the chairlift. But I figure if I can carry 16oz in the front pocket, no Camel at 1/2 full, just feels a bit easier for me and no sweaty back.

Won't know for sure until I try it on the mountain and see how it works.

Now if you want to fill you Camel totally full, I'll just bring my hydration tube and just plug in when I'm thirsty!

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 07:13:40 am »
Yes, if its full its too bulky; agreed.  Cytomax is great stuff. I start on the ginko biloba on Dec. 1! good for climatization

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 02:16:09 pm »
I have to second the need for constant hydration. I came back from Colorado 7 lbs lighter than when I left. It was all dehydration. I drank tons of fluids, but fluids ingested in large quantity all at once just act as a diuretic. I have resisted the camelbacks for the reasons mentioned. This may be the solution as it appears to be less bulky. Thanks, JB.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 02:26:38 pm »
Know what you mean JB....

When I switched to the 6oz plastic carry in the pocket bottle, I never really felt I needed to have more water on me cause we'd stop every couple hours for a break and beverage and I'd fill er up.

It was a pain pulling out the bottle but not really that bad.

I'm hoping the pocket hydration with bite tube is the answer. I'll know in 21 days.

Best,
Gary

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 03:40:18 pm »
I just bought two of them (one for me and one for the wife) in the hopes that it will be the answer. Thanks again for the recc. JB.

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 04:22:39 pm »
I have to second the need for constant hydration. I came back from Colorado 7 lbs lighter than when I left. It was all dehydration. I drank tons of fluids, but fluids ingested in large quantity all at once just act as a diuretic. I have resisted the camelbacks for the reasons mentioned. This may be the solution as it appears to be less bulky. Thanks, JB.

Through trial and error, I have found NOT drinking water works. Diluted sports drinks seems to help keep the fluid in the circulatory system better. I usually get Vitamin water and dilute by 50%. I also take Diamox (diuretic which also helps prevent altitude sickness, but makes beer taste BAD) in preparation and lower doses during the time there. I don't mind the small Camelbacks, as it also gives a place to put some small gear.
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 08:18:46 pm »
Have to let me know what you think JB.

Lynn, look at you go girl...you and ROn got the chemical thing down pretty good. Packing extra gear in the Camel back...smart. Sounds like a new post...hmmm?

I usually take water but if it's quite warm, I cut it with some power drink. I juice up with liquids, like hot chocolate, yougart drinks or appy juice duiring breaks or lunch.

Gary