Author Topic: Tecnica Rival X9 flex index questions  (Read 1657 times)

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Tecnica Rival X9 flex index questions
« on: March 03, 2008, 12:51:53 pm »
I have a question regarding the flex index of my Tecnica Rival X9 boots.  Specifically, what is the flex index when the red and yellow stiffening inserts are placed in the cuff? Also, the cuff can be locked with the addition of a second bolt in the pivot adjustment, to achieve the maximum stiffness -- what is the flex index when the cuff is locked?

I am aware that the rated flex index is 70, and I assume this refers to the boot without inserts or cuff lock bolt added....is this correct?

The reason for the question is that when it comes time to shop for new boots, having an idea of the flex of my current boots will help me focus on trying new ones with an appropriate flex index.

Cheers,

Svend

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Tecnica Rival X9 flex index questions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 07:34:03 pm »

Svend:

No idea what the answer to your questions are.  I do know that boot flex index is not at all standardized from one manufacturer to another, so I don't think you would gain much meaningful information from having the answers to your questions.

Jim
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 08:23:32 am »
Gotcha...thanks for replying, Jim.  So, what you're saying is that one maker's 100 flex is another's 90?  Interesting, and good to know.

I've emailed Tecnica Canada and Italy, but have received no reply as yet.  For the moment at least, they seem to be a good match for my skis (Head iM70) -- they are warm and comfortable, and I can wear them all day without pain or fatique.  A little too roomy in the foot, perhaps, as they are getting packed out, but at least my heel is held firmly.  This season, as I've progressed in my learning, I've gone from having them at the softest setting to the firmest setting by use of the cuff inserts (they work), and next I will try locking the pivot with the extra bolt to see if that makes any difference. 

My hope is that they'll still match up with new and better skis when I get them.  But a higher performance ski may dictate new boots too...we'll see how it goes.  They are so comfortable, that I really don't want to change.

Thanks for all your responses here and to my other questions.  Much appreciated.

Svend

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 08:45:49 am »
Modern skis should not require new boots.? In the "olden days" (so I've been told ;D) you had to lever the boots to bend the skis.? Maybe over simplification, but modern skis bend themselves (basically) when you tip them on edge and you just balance on the center point of the ski.? Therefore, new skis should not require anything different in boots.? Also, since the forces are now laterally (when tipping the skis on edge) the criteria is more of lateral stiffness rather than forward flex.

In fact, in his books Harald Harb makes the case that the stiffness of boots is actually used by the skier to ratain/regain his balance when he gets forward or back and not to "bend the ski".
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 08:56:05 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Svend

• 4-6 Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 09:01:06 am »
Well, that is good news to me.  I am having no trouble controlling my skis with my existing boots, and I was really hoping not to have to upgrade.  They do everything I ask, including high speed wide arcs and quick short turns on steep, narrow runs.  At the beginning of this season, they were too mushy, but since then I have stiffened them with the inserts, and I have never felt that the boots were too soft that they hindered my progress. 

Besides, I was not looking forward to boot shopping.  Ski shopping and demoing can be fun, but boot shopping....I could do without that.  There aren't too many good bootfitters out there willing to take the time needed to get it right.

All the best,

Svend