Author Topic: HH two footed release vids  (Read 673 times)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Re: HH two footed release vids
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 08:08:35 am »

Pretty funny!!! ;D
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 09:13:41 am »
Ron just a thought..

Skiing groomers are a good way to work on technique that support us well in off piste adventures. Errors show up quicker on the groom runs and it's a great place to work on edge? control and release, lightening, upper body lower body separation, pole plants and a solid short turn to name a few.

Take what you learn on the groom to the edges and beyond and those ingrained drills and techniques from groomed practice smooth out everthing else.

Works for me...
Gary

I agree that you need to have the fundamentals and the basics but once you have some of those, you need to venture forth! All too often folks stick to safe conditions and runs and hope to develop the skills needed for off-piste or ungroomed conditions. There is just no way to learn this on a groomed run. I would say that many faults will REALLY show up once they get into variable snow and terrain. You can recover more easily on safe, flat groomed runs; you won't on ungroomed stuff. It's show time! There are too many variables in ungroomed conditions like on the sides of runs and such. I am all in favor of learning the basics on safe controllable terrain, but the only way to go beyond that is to start to take those fundamentals and get into condtions where you are a little beyond your comfort zone.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 09:39:02 am »
Yep...well said..

Gee, just like Lynn lost (hidding) in a pine forest!

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 10:36:29 am »

Gary

That is exactly what Harald said at the camp. Practicing on easier terrain than what you usually ski and doing drills and TURNS slower than usual shows faults that exist in the skiers technique. Momentum can disguise a lot.

It amazed me that no one in the camp went to the black terrain on their own time. It seemed everyone was working on the drills &/or skiing on easier slopes to feel their "stuff".

And you guys know that I like a little tree action. Have hit a couple too.? Fortunately in slo-mo.

Whacked my left ear by an errant branch at Winter Park the day prior to the camp. Hurt like a **** for a bit. Uh, was wearing a helmet too. Thank you helmet, for the soft ear coverage.
Lynn
PS, was a pine branch and we all know pines are soft wood.

Yes, you gotts luv the trees baby! Just watch the tree wells when skiing evergreens!!!! That's where 2 skiers died at Steamboat this season. I will agree that momentum disguises a lot but groomers will not provide the fore/aft, changes in speed and other balance related factors that are present in off-piste/ungroomed conditions. I am still learning a lot and actually find that it takes me a bit to readjust after skiing a lot on groomers and then going back to off-piste. This is a sign of not being an expert and I have a lot to learn but there can be such a differene between the two conditions.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 01:26:36 pm »
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

And Lynn, as far as you liking a little tree action.....hmmm.... that opens way too many environmentally safe and sound practices in forest conservation, but never the less, whether whacked or bushwhacked by a tree....really hurts....well unless you're into that kind of stuff.

Pine huh....do you have pine scent hanging from your car mirror, do your closets all smell like pine, do you use "Pine-Sol" for that relaxing bath after a romp in the pine woods?

Best,
Gary

I would like to point out that there is NOTHING new here.   ;D  ;D  ;D 
Both Lynn and Ron were "into the trees" last year at the first RealSkiers gathering.

And yes, I assume that not falling into a tree well while "taking care of business" in the trees would be important.

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 10:54:44 am »
Yes, funny you should remind me of that! Did you guys know that Gary peed on my 94's while in Jackson?????

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 01:09:11 pm »
Yes, funny you should remind me of that! Did you guys know that Gary peed on my 94's while in Jackson?????

Ron, I am sure you must be mistaken.  It was probably some sort of yellow topsheet hotwax.   ???  >:D

But the real question is, do they slice through the powder better after than before.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 01:36:15 pm »
Thank you Jim...It for sure and indeed was a hot "wax"...special edition!

I must admit though they did not slice through the snow easier due to the fact that the heated board attracted more snow that stuck to the treated area. The scientific term we use is "clumping".

Back to research and development for the new test batch.

This office is looking for volunteers to provide their skis for on mountain testing of the next batch of maybe some not so hot topsheet "wax".

Pony up skiers!

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 01:48:26 pm »
You two are on a roll for sure, quick thinking and a nice way to duck out of the fact that he fouled my skis!? never let gary borrow your skis when there is knee-high powder around and he's been drinking too much green and red tea!  :'(

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 02:16:25 pm »
Shame on you Ron....best buds never talk tea choices and are only allowed harassment rights for up to the 48 hours or 3 beers which ever occurs first....you have exceeded the harrasment boundaries and therefore shall be penalized another topsheet hot wax. Now you say well no one will be using your skis...well you see.....the hot wax can be applied while your in the skis.

The court of Gary has spoken,

G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 03:05:44 pm »
AHA ? never let gary borrow your skis when there is knee-high powder around and he's been drinking too much green and red tea!? :'(

I hadn't heard that you allowed him to borrow your skis.? I was under the assumption that Gary had perpetrated this grievous deed to your skis while they were attached to YOUR feet.? However, in this case, RULE #48 comes into play.? The skis are temporarily in HIS possession is 8/10ths of the law, and the yellow stream falls where it will.? ?;D? ;D? ;D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 07:51:56 am »
I must bow to superior intellect and knowledge of the law; however, let me pose this to the most honerable court. Would the true owner of the ski treat it in such a horrible and disrectful manner? Wouldn't the true owner love, care for and treat the ski with compasion and give it the respect it is do deserving......... :D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 09:33:05 am »
Jim...you had me rolling on the floor with that one...guys...we need our own talk show, no doubt.

AND Ron...who is to say that discharging pee from deep within the owner on to a ski is not a true act of love. An act of territorial bonding that says: this is mine and I am its!

Man...that's just too beautiful!

G

(Edited by mod to avoid any confusion)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 12:33:34 pm by Ron »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 10:40:26 am »
MR. Cassara, I am only hoping you didn't think twice and simply typed in a stream of consciencess... Please self-edit your post!  Thats disgusting!!!!!!

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 10:51:39 am »
Would the true owner of the ski treat it in such a horrible and disrespectful manner? Wouldn't the true owner love, care for and treat the ski with compasion and give it the respect it is do deserving......... :D

Ron, you raise a VERY valid point, and my suspicion is that the true owner quite likely wouldn't treat his "equipment" in such a fashion, depending of course on how desperate was the urge and how strong was the wind.

However, the very act of allowing another to use one's skis 'implies' a level of trust and assumed appreciation for the trust shown and supercedes any expected behavior on the part of Mr. Cassara, unless instructions were explicitly given stating that "Gary, feel free to ski my skis as if they were yours but don't pee on them."

And of course, no matter how much trust we show another, sometimes accidents happen.? Maybe Gary's faux pas was merely an accident, maybe a lapse in judgement such as misjudging the incline of the mountain and the true wind speed or direction.? What you, as the owner, have to decide is whether you more highly value the skis or the consideration of Gary's badly bruised ego and self confidence.? Knowing the care that Gary gives to his skis (and to yours, BTW), I am sure he was as traumatized by this event as were you.?

I think we now need a Man Hug.     ;D  :D  :(
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 10:54:56 am by jim-ratliff »