Author Topic: HH two footed release vids  (Read 662 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
HH two footed release vids
« on: February 20, 2008, 09:46:14 am »
I just checked out some of HH 2 footed release vids in chopped and pushed stuff. Very similar conditions to what we have been skiing. I really enjoyed the vids and the technique. I will watch more. Thanks Lynn!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Re: HH two footed release vids
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 10:55:03 am »
Ron
Are the videos from the ABCAES books or the newer Essentials? He has added new stuff that is in the Essentials.
Good for you for checking it out!
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:26:52 pm »
Here's the link. Like I said, this is very close to what we have been skiing, except we have had more powder :) I will say, although it pains me, Gary skis this terrain more smoothly than HH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxHOdUEbqAg&eurl=http://www.harbskisystems.com/hblog/hblogindex.html

me skiing in broken

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 01:28:22 pm »
:) I will say, although it pains me, Gary skis this terrain more smoothly than HH!

;D? ;D? ;D Ron, that shouldn't pain you at all.? Lew Alcindor also played basketball better than John Wooden,
even though Wooden was one of the better coaches ever.? ?;D? ;D? ;D

EDITED:? For you kids like Ron, John Wooden was the legendary basketball coach at UCLA that won 10 NCAA championships as a coach and is enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame separately as a player and a coach.? However, as great a coach as he was he wasn't as good as several of the players he taught, and one named Lew Alcindor (who later changed his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) was among the greatest and certainly a better player than Wooden.? The point was that the mark of a good coach isn't how well he skis so much as how well he teaches (although I have certainly heard that HH is a pretty decent skier) and so it shouldn't pain you to point out a student skiing better than the teacher.  I imagine that if Harald were to watch Gary ski he would take some quiet pride in whatever part he played helping Gary grow to that level.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:16:32 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 01:36:12 pm »
I think thats good? I have no idea who those guys are  ??? ;D

I started to call Gary Mr. Mercury; smooth, fluid and of course, highly toxic!  he was probably tols how smooth he was bout 5 times that last week in Steamboat by other skiers.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 08:25:29 am »
Oh boy.....cripes all this AND an orange jacket.....

HH is and always will be the man that got me going down the road to skiing for real.

I know for me, taking what Harold taught me and fusing John Clendenon techniques has married two AWESOME instructors....that I humbly and? hardly feel I do justice. I too?like you am always working on improving my technique. When skiing, I know where my weaknesses are and knowing them keeps my appetite strong to improve.  I know I rarely give myself the Kudos received by friends because I know I personally have a long way to go to come near the levels of the masters expertise but I DO enjoy the road getting there. It's all good though cause applying what I do know and do well keeps me smiling all over the mountain.

I've never have been the BEST ball striker, the most accurate horse shoe pitcher, BUT, I love the game. For me, enjoy the game as much as possible with my friends and family and take the learing process at a pace that allows both enjoyment of the sport and gradual betterment of the game.

I'm? hoping to get back to see Harold for a private this coming season for a tune up....same with John. I think doing this every few years will keep me skiing well as long as I can still put on my boots.

I think the key is no matter what karate school you belong to, wear your colors proudly, respect other schools, share with those that ask and be with friends that enjoy the sport as much as you do. Yep....I'm a REAL fortunate guy!

Best,
Gary

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 08:40:34 am »
Well put Gary.
I went skiing yesterday at Elk. Fresh snow on top of ice. By noon piles of semi moguls with ice between, even on the greens. All those nice drills and new skills from camp felt GONE!!
The new skis handled it well, but the skier needs work! Yes, a long road, always something new to learn.
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 02:29:22 pm »
Thanks Lynn...

I have to share with you one of my favorite Harb stories. After my first clinic with him, I left there and came home thinking my skiing had gone down the toilet bowl. I mean I actually felt like I skied worse than when I arrived at the clinic. The very next weekend I was at my local mountain making turns trying to impliment lift, tip, lighten, counter...etc...and I felt so out of sequence.

After an hour of hard work, I went in for a break and had a friend come up to me and ask "what have you done with your skiing"....and my response was, looks pretty crappy huh? He said no way, really looking smooth solid. Heck, I never saw that coming. 

Point is....keep working on those drills, they will settle and become a part of your every turn. You might not notice at first, but others will and we know it eventually pays off big dividends.

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 10:22:58 am »
Jim, just for the record, it never really pains me :) I have a such a long way to catch up to him.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 11:23:35 am »
All should know that Ron's skiing in the past 2 seasons has vastly improved. HUGELY!!!

Why....cause he works on it...he understands the concepts...and most of all he loves to improve. He pushes himself to be a better skier. This opens so many more doors on the mountain.
Now as my wife reminds me, not everyone is cut out of the same wick away material...BUT if you got the passion, it is SOOOOO worth it!

Nice skiing Ron....Real Skier Ridge Runners Rule!

Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 12:00:43 pm »
Too kind mr. cassara! I have the bruises to prove it! I am learning, I just need stop injuring myself. This is my second season of skiing off-piste and i have learned a lot but have a long way to go. It's all fun though. I really prefer off-piste stuff now to groomers.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 01:06:40 pm »
Well put Gary.
I went skiing yesterday at Elk. Fresh snow on top of ice. By noon piles of semi moguls with ice between, even on the greens. All those nice drills and new skills from camp felt GONE!!
The new skis handled it well, but the skier needs work! Yes, a long road, always something new to learn.

make sure you take a few moments to compose your head at the top of the run and breath. I bang my pole against my helmet as part of my ritual. It's so easy to get knocked off your game. He really have to focus and remain calm, take each turn, one at a time. This seems to help. Remember, drills are good but there's no substitute for getting out there in "real world" conditions and just keep banging' away! You'll get it, I know you well enough to know this is just a challenge.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 01:53:30 pm »
Ron just a thought..

Skiing groomers are a good way to work on technique that support us well in off piste adventures. Errors show up quicker on the groom runs and it's a great place to work on edge  control and release, lightening, upper body lower body separation, pole plants and a solid short turn to name a few.

Take what you learn on the groom to the edges and beyond and those ingrained drills and techniques from groomed practice smooth out everthing else.

Works for me...
Gary

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 07:03:52 pm »

Gary

That is exactly what Harald said at the camp. Practicing on easier terrain than what you usually ski and doing drills and TURNS slower than usual shows faults that exist in the skiers technique. Momentum can disguise a lot.

It amazed me that no one in the camp went to the black terrain on their own time. It seemed everyone was working on the drills &/or skiing on easier slopes to feel their "stuff".

And you guys know that I like a little tree action. Have hit a couple too.  Fortunately in slo-mo.

Whacked my left ear by an errant branch at Winter Park the day prior to the camp. Hurt like a **** for a bit. Uh, was wearing a helmet too. Thank you helmet, for the soft ear coverage.
Lynn
PS, was a pine branch and we all know pines are soft wood.
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 07:33:26 am »
Yep...it really makes sense.
Interesting no one going to the black. I feel the skier we are when we arrive at a camp gets stripped away and so we almost feel like ski neophytes. Besides, things happen so fast on the black terrain that working on drills becomes a matter of surviving the run...it skiing you and you not skiing it.

And Lynn, as far as you liking a little tree action.....hmmm.... that opens way too many environmentally safe and sound practices in forest conservation, but never the less, whether whacked or bushwhacked by a tree....really hurts....well unless you're into that kind of stuff.

Pine huh....do you have pine scent hanging from your car mirror, do your closets all smell like pine, do you use "Pine-Sol" for that relaxing bath after a romp in the pine woods?

Oh boy...I could be barking up the wrong hardwood!

Best,
Gary

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 08:08:35 am »

Pretty funny!!! ;D
"Play it Sam"

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 09:13:41 am »
Ron just a thought..

Skiing groomers are a good way to work on technique that support us well in off piste adventures. Errors show up quicker on the groom runs and it's a great place to work on edge? control and release, lightening, upper body lower body separation, pole plants and a solid short turn to name a few.

Take what you learn on the groom to the edges and beyond and those ingrained drills and techniques from groomed practice smooth out everthing else.

Works for me...
Gary

I agree that you need to have the fundamentals and the basics but once you have some of those, you need to venture forth! All too often folks stick to safe conditions and runs and hope to develop the skills needed for off-piste or ungroomed conditions. There is just no way to learn this on a groomed run. I would say that many faults will REALLY show up once they get into variable snow and terrain. You can recover more easily on safe, flat groomed runs; you won't on ungroomed stuff. It's show time! There are too many variables in ungroomed conditions like on the sides of runs and such. I am all in favor of learning the basics on safe controllable terrain, but the only way to go beyond that is to start to take those fundamentals and get into condtions where you are a little beyond your comfort zone.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 09:39:02 am »
Yep...well said..

Gee, just like Lynn lost (hidding) in a pine forest!

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 10:36:29 am »

Gary

That is exactly what Harald said at the camp. Practicing on easier terrain than what you usually ski and doing drills and TURNS slower than usual shows faults that exist in the skiers technique. Momentum can disguise a lot.

It amazed me that no one in the camp went to the black terrain on their own time. It seemed everyone was working on the drills &/or skiing on easier slopes to feel their "stuff".

And you guys know that I like a little tree action. Have hit a couple too.? Fortunately in slo-mo.

Whacked my left ear by an errant branch at Winter Park the day prior to the camp. Hurt like a **** for a bit. Uh, was wearing a helmet too. Thank you helmet, for the soft ear coverage.
Lynn
PS, was a pine branch and we all know pines are soft wood.

Yes, you gotts luv the trees baby! Just watch the tree wells when skiing evergreens!!!! That's where 2 skiers died at Steamboat this season. I will agree that momentum disguises a lot but groomers will not provide the fore/aft, changes in speed and other balance related factors that are present in off-piste/ungroomed conditions. I am still learning a lot and actually find that it takes me a bit to readjust after skiing a lot on groomers and then going back to off-piste. This is a sign of not being an expert and I have a lot to learn but there can be such a differene between the two conditions.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 01:26:36 pm »
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

And Lynn, as far as you liking a little tree action.....hmmm.... that opens way too many environmentally safe and sound practices in forest conservation, but never the less, whether whacked or bushwhacked by a tree....really hurts....well unless you're into that kind of stuff.

Pine huh....do you have pine scent hanging from your car mirror, do your closets all smell like pine, do you use "Pine-Sol" for that relaxing bath after a romp in the pine woods?

Best,
Gary

I would like to point out that there is NOTHING new here.   ;D  ;D  ;D 
Both Lynn and Ron were "into the trees" last year at the first RealSkiers gathering.

And yes, I assume that not falling into a tree well while "taking care of business" in the trees would be important.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 10:54:44 am »
Yes, funny you should remind me of that! Did you guys know that Gary peed on my 94's while in Jackson?????

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 01:09:11 pm »
Yes, funny you should remind me of that! Did you guys know that Gary peed on my 94's while in Jackson?????

Ron, I am sure you must be mistaken.  It was probably some sort of yellow topsheet hotwax.   ???  >:D

But the real question is, do they slice through the powder better after than before.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 01:36:15 pm »
Thank you Jim...It for sure and indeed was a hot "wax"...special edition!

I must admit though they did not slice through the snow easier due to the fact that the heated board attracted more snow that stuck to the treated area. The scientific term we use is "clumping".

Back to research and development for the new test batch.

This office is looking for volunteers to provide their skis for on mountain testing of the next batch of maybe some not so hot topsheet "wax".

Pony up skiers!

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 01:48:26 pm »
You two are on a roll for sure, quick thinking and a nice way to duck out of the fact that he fouled my skis!? never let gary borrow your skis when there is knee-high powder around and he's been drinking too much green and red tea!  :'(

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 02:16:25 pm »
Shame on you Ron....best buds never talk tea choices and are only allowed harassment rights for up to the 48 hours or 3 beers which ever occurs first....you have exceeded the harrasment boundaries and therefore shall be penalized another topsheet hot wax. Now you say well no one will be using your skis...well you see.....the hot wax can be applied while your in the skis.

The court of Gary has spoken,

G

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 03:05:44 pm »
AHA ? never let gary borrow your skis when there is knee-high powder around and he's been drinking too much green and red tea!? :'(

I hadn't heard that you allowed him to borrow your skis.? I was under the assumption that Gary had perpetrated this grievous deed to your skis while they were attached to YOUR feet.? However, in this case, RULE #48 comes into play.? The skis are temporarily in HIS possession is 8/10ths of the law, and the yellow stream falls where it will.? ?;D? ;D? ;D

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 07:51:56 am »
I must bow to superior intellect and knowledge of the law; however, let me pose this to the most honerable court. Would the true owner of the ski treat it in such a horrible and disrectful manner? Wouldn't the true owner love, care for and treat the ski with compasion and give it the respect it is do deserving......... :D

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 09:33:05 am »
Jim...you had me rolling on the floor with that one...guys...we need our own talk show, no doubt.

AND Ron...who is to say that discharging pee from deep within the owner on to a ski is not a true act of love. An act of territorial bonding that says: this is mine and I am its!

Man...that's just too beautiful!

G

(Edited by mod to avoid any confusion)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 12:33:34 pm by Ron »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 10:40:26 am »
MR. Cassara, I am only hoping you didn't think twice and simply typed in a stream of consciencess... Please self-edit your post!  Thats disgusting!!!!!!

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 10:51:39 am »
Would the true owner of the ski treat it in such a horrible and disrespectful manner? Wouldn't the true owner love, care for and treat the ski with compasion and give it the respect it is do deserving......... :D

Ron, you raise a VERY valid point, and my suspicion is that the true owner quite likely wouldn't treat his "equipment" in such a fashion, depending of course on how desperate was the urge and how strong was the wind.

However, the very act of allowing another to use one's skis 'implies' a level of trust and assumed appreciation for the trust shown and supercedes any expected behavior on the part of Mr. Cassara, unless instructions were explicitly given stating that "Gary, feel free to ski my skis as if they were yours but don't pee on them."

And of course, no matter how much trust we show another, sometimes accidents happen.? Maybe Gary's faux pas was merely an accident, maybe a lapse in judgement such as misjudging the incline of the mountain and the true wind speed or direction.? What you, as the owner, have to decide is whether you more highly value the skis or the consideration of Gary's badly bruised ego and self confidence.? Knowing the care that Gary gives to his skis (and to yours, BTW), I am sure he was as traumatized by this event as were you.?

I think we now need a Man Hug.     ;D  :D  :(
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 10:54:56 am by jim-ratliff »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2008, 11:08:32 am »
All wise and valid: truth!  OK, understand that mr. Cassara is neither offended, concerned, or embarrased in any way, shape or form. his initial comment after I asked if he peed on them was "no", Like it's 6 degrees no unfrozne liquids within a few hundred miles and he just says "no". It was a classic moment Alice and I almost busted another gut (yes, it's painful to laugh). He showed his true pathelogical side. 

Now then,Can Gary please edit the warm bodily fliud comment into a urine specific reference???????????  PLEASE

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2008, 12:06:29 pm »
Hey Ron:

You are a moderator, YOU have the POWER, you can edit it for him to make it say whatever you want (and no one will know it was you and not him).

Jim

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2008, 12:34:07 pm »
Yes, I thought I woul dgive the opportunity however, its done.......

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2008, 12:35:35 pm »
Jim...you had me rolling on the floor with that one...guys...we need our own talk show, no doubt.

AND Ron...who is to say that discharging pee from deep within the owner on to a ski is not a true act of love. An act of territorial bonding that says: this is mine and I am its!
Man...that's just too beautiful!

G

(Edited by mod to avoid any confusion)

Hmm, sounds just like my dog peeing on a tree? You are its????? you are nuts...... :)

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 01:36:58 pm »
Oh...yawn.....
I think I've been hijacked,  and softened...Ok...if any were offended...not intended...pee, fluids..it's all the same  >:D...it's where the twisted mind goes is what creates the warping of the words.

Still, I emphatically state to this date and beyond, I did not intentionally aim, place, target, or direct any bodily fluids onto a pair of rental skis I was given to use. Two feet of fresh snow, extremely pitched run, nervous cause other people might ski by and elicit an autograph....I was not conscience of any fluid trickling beneath 2 feet of powder onto the unsuspecting ski. That's my defense and I'm sticking (chuckles)  ::)with it!

And as far as marking territory...Ron, can you ship your Watea 94's to Deer Valley for me ...I need them Sunday!

Your quite the pal,
Thanks,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 01:42:56 pm »
OK, so they were rentals and yes, it was over 2 feet deep and you were off the trail in some huge piles and trees. OK, Kill-joy!

I don't think I ever posted the pic?

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 02:06:31 pm »
Hey....if the glove fits convict....

The skis look vaguely familiar...the conditions look about right...it's just the color is not quite my usual Centrum and vitamin D combination...

I supposed next we'll be seeing that picture on the cover of the April Ski magazine....

Jim...help....I'm a victim here.

Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2008, 02:43:49 pm »
DNA test?   ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2008, 02:57:42 pm »
;D? ;D? ;D

Da Judge's Ruling:

After listening to all of the testimony (using that term loosely, of course), the court has arrived at a final verdict.

The court (after due deliberation) has determined that Mr. Ron Contarino has no actionable claim against the defendant, Mr. Gary Cassara.
In-depth investigation of the pictures provided by Mr. Ron Contarino has revealed that, contrary to prior claims, these were rental skis and? NOT Ron's skis.? Therefore, any claims for damages real or imagined would have to be placed by the ski rental agency.? Also, it is likely that any damages to said skis would actually be filed against Mr. Contarino, since the contract with the rental agency is only between said Agency and Mr. Contarino.

Additionally, no evidence of any yellow tint is visible in the ice mass of the skis placed in evidence, and alternate explanations are probable.? It is likely, in fact, that Gary was skiing so fast that he overheated the ski topsheets due to friction caused by a lack of topsheet wax that Mr. Cassara routinely applies to his own skis, and when he paused briefly (for whatever reason) the over heated skis initially melted some snow and that water was then frozen to the ski as the skis cooled.? This explanation would seem to be more in keeping with the color of the frozen liquid displayed on the right foot.

So, in the greatest tradition of the current United States court system,
the Court finds Mr. Cassara innocent of all wrongdoing, and completely not responsible for his own actions.
Additionally, the Court finds Mr. Contarino guilty of malfeasance in allowing Gary to pee on the rental agency skis that were entrusted to Mr. Contarino's care.

Note: I have no idea what malfeasance is, it just sounded like a legal word.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:00:31 pm by jim-ratliff »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2008, 07:39:00 am »
Thank you Jim for that stirring closing...eloquent and accurate.

Now....let us all let sleeping dogs lie!

G

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2008, 11:50:07 am »
OK, I'm refiling in civil court for damages........? ;D

Do you have any idea of the emotional damage and stress I experienced with the embarrassment and humiliation (you know what a sensitive guy I am) I was forced to endure? Did you know the fear I expericened knowing his urine was on my skis and it may carry some strange venerial disease he contracted in some seedy back alley? Jackie Chiles where are you? :) (Seinfeld personal injury lawyer for Cramer) We shall overcome, keep hope alive....... (now pass the popcorn)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 11:53:56 am by Ron »

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2008, 11:55:04 am »
Thank you Jim for that stirring closing...eloquent and accurate.

Now....let us all let sleeping dogs lie!
G

You and the judge are merely lieing dogs  >:D