Author Topic: Dolomite CYB-X Super Carve boots...at least 6 yrs old?  (Read 1360 times)

bf_hill

Dolomite CYB-X Super Carve boots...at least 6 yrs old?
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:54:45 am »
I am buying a new pair of skis, either Fischer RX8, or Dynastar Contact 9.  I have a pair of Dolomite CYB-X Super Carve ski boots.  Anyone have any thoughts on their adequacy to fully utilize these skis abilities?  I enjoy them, they fit and performed well on my old dinosaur skis.  I found a pair for sale on Canadian Ebay that has some info and pics http://cgi.ebay.com/Dolomite-CYB-X-Super-Carve-Ski-Boot-Mens-Sz-8_W0QQitemZ360021929845QQihZ023QQcategoryZ16061QQcmdZViewItem

A comment about them was made in "The Professional skier" : Dolomite's CYB-X Super Carve boasts 15 millimeters of lift underneath the foot and claims that this provides the benefits of greater leverage and better boot-out clearance, without the additional use of plates mounted beneath the binding. When I tried the Super Carve the lift factor tended to function as billed, laying some very stable arcs--once I'd stepped into my bindings.

So basically, these boots have a 15mm boot lift plate, an 'ergocant system', and a couple types of boot stiffeners.  I liked them because I could loosen them up for the first couple runs, then stiffen them up for the rest of the day.  Your comments would be welcome

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Dolomite CYB-X Super Carve boots...at least 6 yrs old?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:01:03 am »

Brad:

I, personally, prefer to buy skis used or little used (like demos) rather than new because of the saved money relative to the wear, but I wouldn't consider that for boots.  Linings pack out, can't try them on, etc.

My thoughts.
Lateral stiffness has become more important than forward flex/stiffness as the method of turning has become based on edging rather than pressuring the front of the ski.
The railflex binding system incorporates 33mm (I think that's the number) of lift in the rail and platform that attaches the binding to the rail.
Having a boot with an additional 15mm of lift may be quite a bit.  Boots with lift were really intended for mounting on flat skis, may not be that good a match for a binding system with reasonable lift built in.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

bf_hill

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 11:47:17 am »
Hi Jim,

See, this is why I asked.  I didn't realize the railflex system added height.  Yes, that might be a bit much.  I don't think I need that much boot clearance ;).  Thanks for pointing that out.

The skis are not necessarily new, just new to me.  I am looking on ebay at several pair.  And yes, I wouldn't buy used boot either.  These are mine, I was just posting the listing for reference purposes.

I don't know about their lateral stiffness but they were one of their higher end boots.  AND they have Energy Tranfer Plates!!  I'm guessing those tranfer the energy somewhere...perhaps to the ski.... ::)

brad

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 12:56:17 pm »
Hi Jim,

And yes, I wouldn't buy used boot either.? These are mine, I was just posting the listing for reference purposes.

brad

That's the part that I didn't understand.  Thought you were saying you knew a bit about the boots and were planning on buying another pair off the web, packed out liners and all.  Overall stack height may be a concern, but buying used boots with dead liners was the real concern.

FWIW, I had a pari of Dalbello CRX boots with a 7-12mm (can't remember for sure) lift when I bought my Head iC160's with the railflex system.  I felt a bit taller, but didn't feel anything adverse in my skiing.  Certainly wasn't skiing powder in that combination, so lack of snow feel wasn't much of an issue.  I wouldn't get rid of the current boots just because of the lift, try them first.  But very few boots nowadays seem to have that lift built in, I believe.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

bf_hill

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 03:13:49 pm »
Yes the whole boot thing was a bit confusing.  I think I will see about trying the boots before looking at new ones.  I've only skied on them for 4 weeks so they shouldn't be too packed.

I couldn't find any info on the Look PX12 flow bindings that come with the Contact 9s.  Any idea how much they rise up?

brad