Author Topic: Head Every Thang  (Read 583 times)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Head Every Thang
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:50:18 pm »
The search for the ski to succeed the current iC160's continues.

To recap, I was offered a list of suggested womens skis to demo by Gary C and Jim R.
At Steamboat I had the opportunity to demo the One Luv, (too soft for east coast conditions)
Fischer Vision Vapor (smooth, damp enough, but more work to get on edge) and the Nordica ??name escapes me, but was way too stiff a ski for my skill level and size.

This past weekend I demo'ed the Head Every Thang (horrid name) in 155.  (122-72-106)
Conditions were northeast ice pack. An ice storm the previous day had left the mountain with a solid ice undersheet groomed to granular bits on top. The Every Thang handled these conditions with aplomb. Excellent edge grip, damp and smooth. I searched for piles of scrapped up snow in the later afternoon to go thru...easy as butter. Later in the day, the closed race trail was opened after being freshly groomed. The Every Thangs did a great job on the hardpack and I let them rip a bit.(well, what I consider ripping) Technique flaws on the right became apparent with some shimmying at speed. More tip to the right foot and the shimmy did not recur. Clear feedback from the ski.
Very different conditions than those at SB, but so far the Every Thangs are at the top of my list.

If anyone sees any great deals on these babies, let me know!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:39:48 am by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

nevils

Re: Head Every Thang
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 04:29:16 pm »
My wife, 135 lbs 5'3" advanced intermediate, just loves her 163 cm 116/72/101 R14 wild thangs. I ski the 170 cm iM72's and like them very much. We bought these skis couple years back largely due to the very good reviews in realskiers and after I demoed the iM72's. We ski in CA (Tahoe), but feel that they would also be very good for the East coast.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 08:35:04 pm by jim-ratliff »

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 06:49:10 pm »
Hello Nevils
Thanks for the info. May give the Wild Thangs a try. The waist seems more consistent with Northeast conditions.
I am an intermediate skier, 5#4 and a bit under 120 lbs. I go west twice a year, on average,
which is about a third of my ski experience, so looking for a one quiver ski.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 07:25:03 pm by jim-ratliff »
"Play it Sam"

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:15:20 pm »
Lynn:

Great post. 

Good description of the conditions, and good job of relating how the skis felt to you.

I still remember listening to your concern before the RealSkiers 1 trip to Beaver Creek that Gary/Ron/Michael would think you were a real "ripper in disguise" and here you are a couple of skis seasons later "letting them rip" and saying maybe you're not such an intermediate any more.  Well done.

Wish I could ski so well.   >:(

Jim
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 07:44:15 pm »
Thank you for the kind words, Jim.
I always start the season out feeling tentative and this year at RS2 was no exception.
However, I felt much better this year starting out than last year. As much as I hate to admit it,
starting the ski season at RS1, on fresh powder was very difficult for this northeasterner.

I am in what I consider mid-season and feeling my oats a bit. Picking up speed, feeling the skis, feeling my body while skiing, are all more in tune.
Next week is the Blue/Dark Blue camp at Solvista; I am participating and looking forward to moving a step ahead (hopefully).
I will see if HH and Co. have any interesting skis to demo while there.
"Play it Sam"

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 08:47:19 pm »
Had a chance to demo the Every Thangs at the Harb Blue/Dark Blue Camp.
Stellar on packed powder, powerful thru crud and okay on powder, but that may be more a function of my poor powder skills.
 Really liked them. Feedback from a fellow camper was that they did not chatter at all and that the difference was noticeable. ( the iC's chatter on hard pack at speed )
These may be the ones.
Saving my pennies.
"Play it Sam"