Author Topic: Head Raptor RD 130  (Read 351 times)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
Head Raptor RD 130
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:26:43 pm »
Hey guys, I have been busy and not posting much anywhere these days (and I think that I feel better posting less in general).

Having said this, I did want to share a little on my new boot purchase. 2 seasons ago I bought Head RS 96 boots. I bought them with no room when you shelled them on my feet and they were beyond unskiable when I put my foot in with the liners before any work. With a ton of grinding and punching these boots fit pretty glove like and they were a huge uptick over my previous boots (which were in general too roomy for my skinny feet).

The fit was great, the edging ability superb and the snow feel was excellent, but the stance was very upright. This is generally superior for most skiers, but I am quite tall and more importantly I have very long legs and especially I am very long from the ankle to the knee. I did quite a few things to increase the forward lean (much easier than trying to decrease it!!) starting with adding spoilers and the adding a 6mm external heel lift. With the heel lift we pretty much got the boots dialed in.

Fortunately (for me and unfortunately for my wallet) when I skied with Harald Harb last April he had me try on his Head Raptor 120's which were demo/prototypes that he was skiing. Immediately I felt a difference in stance, and I felt like I was positioned over the skis in the right position. I skied with Harald 2 weeks ago and I tried on the RD 130's and they are night and day as far as stance vs. the RS 96's. They are also a tighter last (94mm vs 96mm). As I stood there with them on my feet I knew two things, first, that these were better boots for me and second that I didn't want to go through another season of work dialing them in (and it is always a good amount of work if you buy boots the right size which means too small!!). Anyway, I decided to buy the boots and have Harald punch and grind what he could and do the canting/alignment adjustment (which for me is 3 degrees on one side and 1 on the other so I can't ski without it).? All of this is with the idea that I will slowly work these in as we finish the work and fit.

What I can tell you about these boots is that they have the best ankle grab/hold of any boots I have had (and I have large ankles so this is never an issue for me). It is the most glovelike fit I have had. As well, this stance is perfect for me. I can slam it even more forward with spoilers and with an external lift if and when I want to, but the stance out of the box is excellent for me.

I just got them delivered to me with the work done yesterday, so I have not had them on the snow yet. Harald says that snow feel and edging ability is a substantial step up form the RD/RS 96 boots.

Even better, they feel like they will only require minimal work after what Harald did for me (which was not insignificant).

If we ever get some snow in Tahoe, I will come back and give my on snow impressions of the boots. I can already tell that they are better for me. I learned something new. Stance can be as important as fit, especially when you are as long legged as I am.

I hope you all have great seasons!!!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Head Raptor RD 130
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:23:08 pm »
Good to hear from you JB.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 08:39:17 am »
nothing like a properly fitted boot, Nice boot, just way too stiff for me. I bought the S11 boots and with the insert, its a nice soft but laterally stiff boot. Good luck and may you be blessed with lots of powder!  Cheers! (we need a "thumbs up" emodicon)

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 10:07:24 pm »
I now have these boots dialed in and I can say that I love them, They are the best boots I have owned. Boots as we all know are very subjective and what fits one persons foot does not anothers. I will say for a plug boot (and I have thin feet and I need plug boots) these are the best fitting and best feeling boots that I have owned. As I said before, the stance is great for me (more forwrad lean) and I am actually going to increase the forwrad lean by adding some external heel lift on the boots.

The snow feel is superb on these boots and the have a super combination power and performance while still giving incredibl snow feel and sensitivity (my RS 96's were powerful but lacked in the feel department).

The best part of this boot for me, is that it fits so well that I do not need to crank down the buckles very tiight. This is availble to me if I wnat or need to, but the boot fits me so well that I can ski with less buckle tension, and onbvioulsy this is more comfortable.

I have only skied them in Montana in very cold temps. They are plenty stiff in these conditions. I willl take them out in Tahoe in warmer temps this week.