Author Topic: Problem with Salomon Z12 Ti Bindings  (Read 478 times)

rboater7

Problem with Salomon Z12 Ti Bindings
« on: January 26, 2008, 08:03:57 pm »
Hi, I recently purchased a pair of 2007 Salomon X-Wing Fury's with the Z12 Ti Bindings with the adjustable track system. It was pretty straightforward to mount them on the track with the markings corresponding to the length of the boot. The first couple of times I skied on them they were ok. The snow was soft and very forgiving (we got 5.5 feet that week!), then yesterday I had a horrible day and finally noticed that the bindings were way forward. I matched my skis (164's) to some friends at the same length, and mine were a good three inches ahead. I talked to a ski instructor friend who skis on Salomon, and she said that Salomon had some issues last year with mismounting the binding plates. Has anyone heard of this? Is it necessary to move the plate, or is it good enough to move the binding back on the plate? I tried that last night, but it still looks forward. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Problem with Salomon Z12 Ti Bindings
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 08:33:41 pm »
I don't have any experience with the Salomon bindings.? I would certainly follow up with Salomon before just accepting it, especially if it is off that much.? Hard to believe your powder skiing would not have been affected by being 3" forward.? What was the nature of the horrible day.? Too far forward should have resulted in the tail of the ski washing out (not holding).? If this was your first day in these skis on hard snow, maybe it is just getting used to the skis (don't know your level or experience or anything).

Were your friends on the same skis and bindings?? There are differences among ski manufacturers; in general the "austrian" skis will be farther back than yours (the so-called French style).

General information is that it should be OK to just move the bindings on the track if you have that much room, but 3" is a long way to have been forward.? Most flat skis have a mark on the ski that is supposed to line up with the mid-sole marker on the boot.? If the mark is on the ski and visible then stick the boots in the bindings and see how they line up.?

Alternate. There are excellent articles on Peter's website that talk about mounting the binding such that the ball of the foot is over the "center of the running surface".? You might check that out as well; many of us adjust our rail based bindings by that criteria on hard snow (some move back a bit for softer snow).

"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

rboater7

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 08:14:23 am »
Thanks Jim, The bad day was six inches of  light stuff (that quickly got pushed around) on a pretty firm base. The tails were washing out. There is no midpoint mark on the skis, but I did find it myself last night using the running surface method. When I move the bindings as far back on the track as possible it looks like the ball of the foot will be over that mark. I did talk to someone at a local shop, and he was aware of the problem and said that moving the bindings 3 cm. back was the guideline they were given by Salomon. The change that I made moved them back 2.5 cm. I'll try them like that (and hopefully that will work out) before considering remounting the plate. Oh, 3 inches may have been an exaggeration. It seemed like a lot. Again, thanks, Bill

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 01:15:03 pm »

3 centimeters is certainly more understandable.  That is only slightly more than an inch, and also happens to be the range of movement that Head builds into their railflex plate, since they have a 0 position, a +1.5cm mark, and -1.5cm mark.  Being 3cm forward probably wouldn't have made the ski dive in soft snow but could easily cause the symptoms you saw on a firmer surface. 

If you have enough adjustment, I would try skiing them in a few different positions even more than 3cm back and see what you like.  The second biggest feature of rail based skis, in my opinion, is the ability to move the bindings around and see how they feel without having to redrill or remount any hardware.

good luck.

rboater7

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 02:49:31 pm »
Unfortunately, I have them moved back as far as they'll go (2.5 cm.), so I don't have the option of trying any more than that without remounting the track. But I'll give this a try and see. Thanks again. Bill

rboater7

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 07:07:39 pm »
I skied them today with the bindings at the back of the track, and they worked fine. Clearly, they are better balanced forward and back. No problem engaging the tip, and the tails behaved. bw

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 08:04:01 pm »

Good to hear that they work for you in the rearmost position. 

My honest opinion, I would take them back to where you bought them and tell them the track is mis-mounted and the skis either need to be replaced or the track remounted at no cost.  Skis, especially with bindings) are just too expensive to tolerate.  If they were OK as you skied them, they might be even better if you could move them back another 10mm.

There is seldom any harm in asking, and even if they refuse you know that at least you can still use the skis.

rboater7

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 07:44:59 am »
Well, if  I had bought them locally I would have been in there in a minute. But I got them last summer via the internet from a shop in California, so any work by them would involve shipping both ways. I want to be skiing on them right now (it's mighty good). Also, they are last years skis (I generally buy ski equipment in the spring or summer), so I don't imagine they would replace them. I guess this is somewhat of a cautionary tale about the hazards of not buying locally, which is something I generally try to do. In this case I demoed them here last spring and wanted to buy a new pair, but no one had them in my size. Cheers, Bill