Author Topic: Rx8 or IM 75 for wolf creek  (Read 132 times)

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
Rx8 or IM 75 for wolf creek
« on: January 20, 2008, 08:35:19 pm »
I will be going to Wolf Creek the 1st week of March.  I can take my Rx8 or IM 75.  I have been skiing more recently on the RX8 and feel my technique is better on them but ski fine one the IM 75.  The 75's have more float but maybe not all that I will want.  Just curious how people who do this more would approach this. 

One of the possibilities I have already considered is renting some Watea 94's if we get a big dump.

I'm a very solid groomed and hard surface skier(pretty much all we have in the mid atlantic area).  Have a little experience skiing boot top powder in Vail a couple of years ago and loved it once i got used to it.  Want to learn how to ski deeper powder and wondering if the IM 75 will be up for the task.

I am 6'2" and 195 and both skis are 170cm.  Didn't demo the Rx 8 and may have been better at 175 although the 170's are pretty solid as long as i don't push the speed to the top.  They are good, just not as solid as the Head's.

thanks for the info.
Perry

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Rx8 or IM 75 for wolf creek
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 10:23:31 pm »
Perry:

My thoughts.? I have Head i.SL Chips (slalom sidecut like the RX8) that I use here in the mid-Atlantic and Head iM78's that I use anytime I go west.? The 78mm width is an all-around ski there (where the groomed slopes are still softer), so I would suggest taking the IM75, and rent the Watea's or something like that if you get a big dump or hit conditions where you want more float.? I would imagine that the IM75's would be fine up to a foot or maybe two of fresh snow, and they were an excellent all-around ski.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 07:58:53 am by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 03:39:27 pm »
Perry...another thought is that if the bindings are Railflex and that's what you take..ski the bindings  in the forward position on groomed days and move them back if you get some pow. That ski was my first experience in a wider ski and learned a bunch there.
Good luck!

Gary

Perry

• 6+ Year Member
  • 200 Posts
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 05:40:01 pm »
kinda obvious question, and I really appreciate the answers.  Pre trip anxiety vs snow fever! >:D

The bindings are railflex and I will put them back on powder days.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 12:58:21 pm »
Perry, depends how deep....you might like them for carving up broken snow ankle high...maybe in the center position if the snow get's around the top of boots and shin to knee...maybe in the back position.

Have a small screwdriver with you to make changes if the condtions call for it.

Best,
Gary