Author Topic: Steamboat  (Read 161 times)

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
Steamboat
« on: December 23, 2007, 02:24:28 pm »
I wanted to thank the "posse" for a great week!

Ron....you are the master of the perfect medium rare piece of beef!
Gary.... the master of the subtle ski technique advice. Sharing your teaching ability with us intermediates was a real gift.
Michael...Not til you, has anyone been able to help me understand the ski-fangled terminology of ski qualities!
Ed...The quiet guy. Keeping us from the edge of vulgarity and crassness. Well, maybe we did go over the edge, but damn, it was fun!!
Jim... Schlepper non-pareil. Thank you for the airport ride and the ski assistance each day. A true gentleman.

Hope we can convene again next year in the ski spirit.
A great holiday to all. Eat, drink and be merry.
Think and dream snow. ( we need some here in the east)
Lynn
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 02:48:58 pm by midwif »
"Play it Sam"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Steamboat
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 09:12:39 am »

Merry Christmas to all.

Echoing Lynn's sentiments, y'all were great ski companions.  Thanks for letting me "hang with your posse" and for regularly waiting for me to catch up and ski with you.  Gary, especially, thanks for the very insightfull ski advice.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 02:34:48 pm »
hope all are enjoying family and holiday !

Steamboat was a wonderful experience with all....so much fun and so many smiles.

AND the season has just begun!

Happy Ski Trails to All!

Gary

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 02:11:29 pm »
I for one, am still basking in the glow of a wonderful week at Steamboat (even though it really started snowing after I left).? >:(

Wishing all of the new faces a Happy New Year.
Wishing all of the older faces an even Happier New Year.? ?:D

To those that were wounded, may you heal quickly and not miss many days on the slope.
To those that were not, may your luck continue to hold.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 01:23:54 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 12:25:30 pm »
Very nice Jim.....back at ya!

Wounded wing here....

Skied Bristol yesterday in soft broken snow and small pushed up bumps. Left the poles home to avoid any potential jamming...still all went well as my face once again had that ear to ear smile. Life is so good with boards on!
Holiday Valley this weekend as a warm up to Jackson Hole the13-20th. If anyone's out that way, let me know.

Ski hearty All!
Gary

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 01:43:05 pm »
Gary
Do you have once a month ski trips planned thru out the ski season??? (where's the envy icon?) :D
You quasi lucky fella.  Quasi, cause that tree had it in for you, lucky, cause you're going to JH after some quick surgery.
Sounds like recovery going well.

Consider doing a write-up of the cat-ski outing. An interesting tale, a cautionary tale, an inspiring tale for those who could not make it this year.

Lynn
"Play it Sam"

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 02:39:26 pm »
You know Lynn, I feel very fortunate indeed....

When the doc said no skiing for the season, I asked the physical therapist and she said not to worry, a good brace and common sense I could get back on the snow.

Thoughts on cat skiing...you know I was just so personally dejected by the whole tree event. Honestly, it was a freak accident.....but, for me, I just did Not want to be in trees that thick so in retrospect, going with the Intermediate level would have been wiser.

I also learned that lower snow cover allows for more things to grab your skis. So waiting for excellent mid season conditions might have been more prudent.

Like anthing we do in skiing, there's always inherent risk....bottom line, I've skied trees in bound before...
This was a zig that went bad and it shook me up pretty good.

Michael, Ed and Ron skied the lines beautifully and really had a blast.

Me, I'm just so happy to be back on snow able to enjoy more of this great season!

Gary