Author Topic: New skis. Now what?  (Read 145 times)

LSUskier

New skis. Now what?
« on: December 27, 2007, 09:10:19 pm »
Hey guys, I just ordered some Watea 94's after demoing a pair for a few days. 

Anyway, my question is how should I prep them before my first day skiing on them.  I mentioned the type of ski, because most of the "new ski" prep guides I have read pertain to race skis and have literally more than a dozen different steps and treatments.

Other than a nice waxing, what do I need to do to prep these babies for their first day on the mountain?

Thanks for the help.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: New skis. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 10:20:50 pm »
I'm a pretty casual skier, so I just have them hot waxed and go.? That is fairly common.

Others that are more "rigorous" such as Gary, would probably run a straight edge over the base to make sure it is truly flat (not concave or convex from the ski curing process) and would also double check the tune on the edges.? Some people would also change to a 1 degree base and 2 degree side bevel (factory is usually 1 degree base and 1 degree side).? Then Gary would also wax the top of the ski for minimum drag when skiing through the deep stuff.

There is actually a good article on the main RealSkiers site that answers your questions from a real knowledgeable point of view.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:22:49 pm by jim-ratliff »
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."