Author Topic: Binding Recommendations  (Read 363 times)

brussell11

Binding Recommendations
« on: November 06, 2006, 05:00:32 am »
Hi all,

The snow is finally starting over here in switzerland; it's a bit early yet, but in a few weeks we'll be rocking.  Just to get the blood going, rode a lift up to the Schilthorn this weekend for the views and to think snow. (http://www.swisspanorama.com/html/schilthorncam1.html

In any case, having now purchased my '05-'06 I.m 77 (without chip) I would love some thoughts on bindings. I don't believe i need special 'integrated bindings' (i think the chip version requires the railflex Tyrolia bindings??) but if that is not the case, I'm just wondering what people may recommend? The ones that keep appearing in reviews and sales associated with both the I.m 77/82 are the Tyrolia RD 12s.  Besides this, what might other people recommend?  I know approximately zero about bindings but I do ski aggresively, like a high DIN (no one likes skis falling off) but also am in no need of a 'pro' model by any standards.  Specs are 5'9 and 190. Thoughts welcome (also as to binding placement on the 77!! (front/center/rear oriented?).  I will be doing appx. 50% on piste and 50% off.

Again, thanks all so much for the good advice in advance.

BR

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Binding Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 07:38:41 pm »

I really love the railflex setup (and the LD12 would be fine).  Two big advantages of the railflex.

1. The rail allows you to move the binding forward and backward easily (a single center screw).  Three positions of 0, 15mm, -15mm.  The balance can be important in changing the character of the ski or allowing the ski to adapt to the snow.

2. Even more importantly, in my opinion is the constant boot pressure that the floating heel/toe allow.  With fixed binding (bindings screwed to the ski) the pressure on the binding varies as the ski flexes. When the ski is flexed, the bindings push harder against the boot, and when the ski releases the bindings move away from the boot slightly. In fact if the ski rebounds/counterflexes enough it can come off the boot with no real pressure.  With floating heel (the freeflex) or heel and toe (railflex), the flex of the ski has no effect on the binding pressure.

3. Ideally, the DIN you want to ski at should be in the middle section of the bindings range.  The LD12 adjusts from a DIN of 4 up to DIN of 12.  The midpoint of that range is 8, and I would suggest that anything in the 6-10 range for a DIN setting is a better match than using that binding at a 4 or an 11.

I have, in past years, had skis pre-release just from the flexing and vibration associated with skiing over cattracks that have frozen and from the counter flex from rebound of the ski.  I have been skiing with DIN settings of 6-7 for the last few years and never have a problem with pre-release on any of my Railflex/FreeFlex skis or on an earlier pair of Marker piston bindings (a floating heel binding).
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

brussell11

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 01:52:39 am »
Jim,

Thanks for the thorough recommendation and tips.  I'll start looking around.

Best,

BR

Barrettscv

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 10:33:10 am »
I'm still undecided on the MOJO 15, Railflex 12 or Look P12 for my Monster i.M 88.

The Railflex is the ultimate in ease of installation, allows repositioning and allows the ski to flex. The MOJO will improve the feedback from the ski but creates a flat spot under the binding.

I'm probably going with the MOJO and will use the CP9 plate to provide repositioning and re-installation without the need for re-drilling.

Cheers

Michael