Author Topic: Boot Help  (Read 287 times)

georgelichti

Boot Help
« on: December 26, 2007, 06:38:56 am »
As mentioned in my General Discussion Topi "questions about getting started" I am considering buying boots while renting everything else until my ability and knowledge begin to plateau. One of the reasons is that for some reason known only to the gods, I was given oddly sized feet! My left foot is a size 13. My right is a 12. Both are narrow C widths. My right leg is about 1/4 inch less than my left. It has never caused any gait or physical problems, but is there nonetheless.

All this combined with the general consenus that boots are critical lead me to think buying boots is a good idea, sooner than later. Anybody that has anything to suggest, ideas,etc will be much appreciated.

And no, million dollar custom boots made of "unobtanium" and "fictionite" are not an option so we need to keep it real. Not only because I am a newbie, but am not rich!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Boot Help
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 07:48:09 am »
Giorgio:

You are starting in the right place in getting boots before all else.  I would recommend http://www.bootfitters.com or Harb Ski Systems http://www.harbskisystems.com as excellent starting points for getting boots properly fitted.  The mismatched foot sizes are going to be a challenge, since you want a fairly snug fit on both feet.  Be honest with the bootfitter about all the information you just described.  It would probably be a good idea also to ask the tech whether they have been certified by http://www.masterfituniversity.com or ask whom in their shop has attended.  I think certification is required to be listed on the bootfitters site, but not everyone working in the shop has been certified.  Try to find a time when the normal shop isn't busy.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

trtaylor

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 09:31:21 am »
Based on your stated C width, I'd say you'd want to try one of the Head Raptor's or Nordica Superchargers. A Salomon Falcon may be an option too, but the forward lean is a bit much for some. Any of these boot models should be easy to find.

Buy a stiffer boot than you think you need today. If you make an informed purchase, you'll have a pair of boots that can last you for quite a while.

You'll want to shell size the boot to your shorter foot (the size 12). You're going to need a skilled boot fitter. If you have any second thoughts, just walk away. Speaking from experience here, you'll end up making a bad purchase otherwise.

Your 1/4" leg length differential is nothing to be concerned with.

Good luck and welcome to the greatest sport in the world.

Tim

rlspalding

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 11:13:14 pm »
I got mine at Harb's ski systems shop. It was an excellent choice.  remember, when you go to most good boot fitting shop, they are typically not going to be competitive with internet prices, and more than likely near the normal MSRP for the boots. This is because they are not making sales on volume. They are providing a service that you cant get from the internet.  Also, dont get sized then go buy on the internet then get fitted, again you are undercutting their service that they provided you and the time they took to find the right boot (this step alone can take 30-60 minutes!)...if everyone did this, most shops would end up closing...

With that being said, Im sure you can go to any boot fitter and tell them the most you want to spend (of course this will start limiting your options).  Do you plan on skiing a lot? There is no single piece of equipment you will buy that will turn you off skiing then bad boots.  Boots will last for a very long time so if you plan on skiing a lot and for a long period of time, the investment is well worth it. You can buy new liners when the factory one wears out.

Just to give you a point of reference here was my cost and setup:
$950
Nordica Doberman Pro 130
Alignment
two plates - This was required because I had a "high invernium something or another" basically they ground down the sole of my boots. added on these two plastic plates then planed them to get an 2.5 and 3 degree "wedge" on my boots so my boots when standing on the ground look like they are tipping in towards each other.

While this seems expensive at first there are two things to consider. First, this setup should last be for a very long time (with occasional replacement of the liner). Second the Dobermans are considered "race type" boot and are also one of the most expensive boots Nordica makes. Third, my previous boots which I just bought off the shelf at some ski shop were two full sizes too big and even though they were that big, they were painful to wear!

Don't skimp on the boots, I'd forego buying skis if it meant you had more available to buy boots? and then just rent skis?