Author Topic: Binding DIN numbers  (Read 190 times)

Scott K

Binding DIN numbers
« on: November 24, 2007, 07:52:58 pm »
I am assuming a DIN number is a set number meaning a DIN of 7 is a DIN of 7 like a CM is a CM regardless of which ruler you use. 

Am I correct?  IF my Tyrolia bindings are set at 7, should I set my Marker bindings to the sme, or do different manufacturers have different formulas based on height, weight, and skiing ability to detrmine the correct settings for their bindings?

Thanks

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Scott K

Re: Binding DIN numbers
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 07:57:21 pm »
I failed to mention that my height is 5'8", weight 180#, intermediate skier.

The DIN settings on the TTyrolia RF 11's are set at 7.5

Should I assume the Markers or Atomic bindings should be set at the same?

-Scott

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 08:47:20 pm »
DIN settings are standard for a given skier type (I, II, III) and a given skier weight and given boot sole length.  If none of those have changed then your DIN setting would be the same. 

However, the bindings also have an adjustment for forward pressure.  Setting the DIN without correctly setting the forward pressure can be catastrophic (may not release at all under any situation).
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Scott K

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 12:33:20 pm »
The follow up to my question is then:  would the forward pressure be the same too?  Mounting is included wherever I buy the new skis, except if bought off e-bay.  the extra $$ is worth not getting injured over.  Once set though, i will reset them myself.

Thanks

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 08:59:48 pm »
Foward pressure isn't a fixed setting.  For example, on my Head railflex skis you set the binding DIN and then put the boot in and clamp the binding down.  Then you look at a little scale on the back and see if the indicator is withing the marked scale.

I would have them professionally done, but find out from the ski shop what the procedure is for setting/checking forward pressure on the bindings that you have so that you can change or repeat in the future.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."