Author Topic: din setting  (Read 337 times)

Brendan

din setting
« on: March 29, 2007, 03:10:41 am »
Hi guys,

I have a pair of Mojo 15 bindings to go on a new mid fat ski (not mounted yet).  The din goes from 5 - 15.  My din setting is 6.  Is this OK?  The ski tech said it was no problem.  I remebered reading a mention in a post that it was not good to use a binding that was so close to  the bottom.  Is there any truth to this?

Best

Brendan

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: din setting
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 06:59:06 am »
That's low but the general rule is about 1/2 of the max, so I would think its fine but just call a couple of shops that rep ty or Head. I will call Head USA when they open. I don't remember what you weigth but you can also use this http://www.tyrolia.com/index.php?id=binding_selector . I used a low weight of up to 127 pounds and an expert skier and the Mojo15 was listed.

Brendan

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 03:44:30 pm »
Hey Ron,

Thanks fro the link, that a very handy wesite.  I weigh 160 pounds and am 5'11.

Best

Brendan

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 09:07:44 pm »
Brendan:

Anything in the range of the binding is fine.  Given a choice, I will pick a binding where I'm in the middle of the range rather than being at the low end of the range, but that's just a preference.  Bindings are "indemnified" by the manufacturer to work correctly anywhere within their rated range.

Jim
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 10:06:12 am »
Brendan, are you sure about that DIN setting? That's kinda low for someone in chutes and trees and such. I am 178, and MY DINs are 9.5, ask the techs to check the manufacturers receommendation for your height and weight.

Brendan

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 05:15:27 pm »
Thanks for that info guys - I will also check my setting.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 09:16:38 pm »
Brendan:

I've seen this other places, but this is the first one that came up on a google search.? It walks you through the same process that the shop does when they figure out what the bindings should be set to.

For me at 5'11" and 195, age 58 with 315 mm boot soles I wind up as a 6 or a 7 depending on whether I call myself a level II or a Level III.  One of the aspects that's not obvious is the fact that longer boot soles result in lower DIN settings.

http://coffee.sdsc.edu/rcw/din_setting/step1.htm
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 04:39:50 pm by jim-ratliff »

nabrum

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 10:58:47 pm »
There is also some freeware that you can download and answer the questions and it'll tell you the DIN. I checked it out and it seems to match all the other sites where you have to answer questions and flip thru menu's to get an answer. I found it by googling "din settings". There were several, but the one I downloaded was
http://www.sofotex.com/DIN-Settings-Calculator-download_L56731.html.

Good luck.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 06:55:40 am »
the tech will use the protocol set by Tyrolia for establishing the DIN. As said before though, it's not an issue.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 08:47:48 am »
Brendan, what has worked for me is that I give the shop tech my spec...age, height, weight and pick one of the level skiers they give you for choice...like I, II, III. With "I" being a beginner.

Then I let them set the din and check and set the sole plate distance between the toe piece of the boot and sole plate on the binding. They also check the binding for proper release action.

Then I get on the mountain and ski my terrain. If I'm skiing a bump line or jumping off something and a ski pops...I crank up the din in 1/2 increments.

Unless you're skiing "sic" lines, and "sic" steeps, those skis should release on a bad fall...save an ACL or MCL.

Me....I'm 58, 155lbs, picked the Level "III" when they set the din and they always set it at 6 because of my age. From past din setting experiences, I knew that would not work. As soon as I got home, I moved them to 7 cause they were popping  off at 6....not nice. I have no problem with them wandering away from boots now.

Just one mans opinion, just be cautious if you start changing the shop set settings. Those settings are designed to protect body parts.

Gary

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 09:09:29 am »

I whole-heartedly agree with Gary's statements and approach.

My shop setting is also usually a 6 for a Type II but I ski at 6.5 - 7.  Interestingly, I am 5'11" and 200 lbs, so I must have longer feet than Mr. Cassara in order to have the same "recommended" DIN value.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 09:59:39 am »
Hey Jim...not sure that length of foot enters into the equation....

I think its more based on the "Type Skier" and amount of forces that are applied to skis by the pilot in the conditions we navigate.

Jim,...are leaves at peak color in your area yet?

Best,
Gary

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 12:19:37 pm »
Leaves are just starting to turn.? Still very green.

See the link below, boot sole length is a definite player.  It has to do with leverage.  For the same skier height and weight and skill selection, the longer boot sole will be set with a lower DIN setting.

http://coffee.sdsc.edu/rcw/din_setting/step4.htm
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:21:40 pm by jim-ratliff »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 01:41:23 pm »
Starting to see some changes, reds, yellows etc...but still no where near peak.

Nice, thank you Jim....I did not know that.

G