Author Topic: Head Ski Boots  (Read 806 times)

hobbes429

Head Ski Boots
« on: October 29, 2007, 05:31:53 pm »
Does anyone know if there are any differences at all (other than color) between the '06 Head S10 ski boots and the '07 S11??  Would these be closer in performance to the Magnesium or Flame in the Tecnica line??

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Head Ski Boots
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:23:04 pm »
I don't remember which year it was, but there was a year where the S12 became next years S13, and the S10 became the S11.  I would assume that they are very similar if not identical except for color.  When there was the S10 and S12 there wasn't a 11 and 13.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 10:00:28 am »
Not sure on the difference performance wise between the S10 and 11 but I think they are in the same catagory performance group as the Tecnicas you mentioned.

The key here is: start with the boot minus the liner to see if the shell fits the shape of your foot anatomically. This is CRITICAL, AND do it with a thin sock on ore even barefoot. WHen standing, the side of your foot should just about be touching the shell and 11/2 finger off the heel to the back of the boot with your toes touching the front. I've always had premium performance using this as a guideline.

I do remember whe the S10 first hit the stores, all raved about the boot.

Still, all raving aside, if it doesn't conform to your foot shape....what ever color or whatever review, all means diddly.

Best,
Gary

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 10:09:28 am »
hobbes:

And I would do the sizing that Gary described with the cradle doo-dad in the boot.  That makes the boot narrower and a better heel fit, and it's a lot easier to remove material from that cradle that to add to the boot, but you don't want to buy, find it's loose, and then try to decide if the cradle can fill enough space.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 12:35:04 pm »
Oh boy..I can't resist....

AND hobbes.....remember "the hand the rocks the cradle" is not the one footn' the bill.

Aw...I'm just to sick!!!  >:D

Jim does have a point though...if its the Head with that "cradle doo-dad" thingy magigy, use it to mimimize the volume fot that boot, UNLESS...your little porkies fill the gap like little pigs in a blanket!

Gary

hobbes429

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 08:12:06 pm »
The S10's I am looking at do not include the "cradle doo-dad thingy magigy" ... although I am tempted to find a pair that do if for no other reason than for that incredibly descriptive name! ;)  I work with a good bootfitter who always does the test Gary described before even allowing me to put my foot in a liner ... I guess great minds think alike!!  Too bad he doesn't carry the Head line anymore.  I have to buy elsewhere and go to him for any fitting work.  If you find someone you trust though, especially on the bootfitting front, I find it pays to stick with him.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 08:50:34 pm »
I absolutely agree with the importance of the boot fitter, but I thought the cradle was "available" for all of the upper Head boots, even if not included in the box.  Did you ask if it was available (even if it costs another $10).  Or, at least you can wait and ask him if you need the boot to be narrower.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 07:15:25 am »
the cradle thing was on the upper all mountain end boots. Here is the link to the boots at Head, http://www.head.com/ski/products.php?region=us&tag=freeride&id=1064

I don't beleive they have that in the boots anymore? I didn't see it on a few that I looked at. My .02? get the  falcon 10 http://www.backcountry.com/store/SAL0953/Salomon-Falcon-10-Ski-Boot-Mens.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=SAL0953&mv_pc=r126

hobbes429

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 08:28:18 am »
How much different is the Falcon fit than the old X-Wave?  The X-Wave boots never gave me the heel pocket/achilles fit that I like to feel.  On that front, nothing beat my old Atomic BetaRide 9.50 boots, but I have tried the newer Atomics and don't like them as much.  The 2 key fit points for me are the heel pocket/achilles area I mentioned, and the top of the forefoot.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 08:33:46 am »
Completely new boot. Snug fit, Billy kaplan loves them. If I didn't have my boots, I would buy them in an instant!

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 08:48:37 am »
I work with a good bootfitter who always does the test Gary described before even allowing me to put my foot in a liner ... I guess great minds think alike!!?? I have to buy elsewhere and go to him for any fitting work.? If you find someone you trust though, especially on the bootfitting front, I find it pays to stick with him.

What would your boot-fitter recommend for you.? Sounds inconsistent to me to say you relying upon him and then to pick and shell size a boot for yourself and THEN trust him to make it work, or is there more behind the Head selection than meets the eye?

However, what 'great minds' were you referring to when you mentioned Gary and the bootfitter.? At most, there's only 1 great mind there??? ?:o

hobbes429

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 08:57:14 am »
I work with a good bootfitter who always does the test Gary described before even allowing me to put my foot in a liner ... I guess great minds think alike!!   I have to buy elsewhere and go to him for any fitting work.  If you find someone you trust though, especially on the bootfitting front, I find it pays to stick with him.

What would your boot-fitter recommend for you.  Sounds inconsistent to me to say you relying upon him and then to pick and shell size a boot for yourself and THEN trust him to make it work, or is there more behind the Head selection than meets the eye?

However, what 'great minds' were you referring to when you mentioned Gary and the bootfitter.  At most, there's only 1 great mind there??   :o
His shop stopped carrying the Head line 2 years ago.  Some kind of distribution territory issue.  I am partial to the Head boots, so need to get them elsewhere.  Since he used to carry them, however, he is very familiar with the line and his bootfitting work is quite good.

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 09:02:38 am »

Check.  FWIW I really like mine.  The heel/achilles fit is excellent and I've had fun trimming at the cradle.  But I what I most like are the buckles.  I really like the leverage and ease of closure because of the way the fold out lever gizmo works.

I just wish the heel lug was replaceable instead of molded in.  That's going to be the part that wears out first from walking on them (I don't always take time to put on my cat-trax).

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 09:03:41 am »
Aw shucks...red is such a pretty color for ski boots.

Man...I do like that Salomon Falcon...but Hobbes you be talking new boots...why not the Head Raptor...

OR.....forget the cradle, the color, and all that pretty manusha...find "the one" that fits the shape of your foot and allows....now this is very big...drum roll please::::::::::::::::your knees to track as straight as possible without huge modifications.

Sounds to me like your fitter is trying to get you squared away.

Do like Ron did...order 2 or 3 different pairs of boots with all the bells and whistles, the pretty colors and run to your fitter....let him tell you which one will be your best performer.

You know....I think we need a "Zappos" (on line shoe ordering service) for ski boots. Now wouldn't that be sweet. Order all you want...free shipping and free returns....chocolat e baby....sweet dark chocolate!

Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 10:03:20 am »
yeah, the Raptor is a sweet boot as well. I can't wear heads as the Instep is too high.  As gary said, I got a few pairs and we just went with what fit best. I got a softer flexing boot (100 for Atomic) which turned out to be great; especially off-piste. the fit was so good and so different from my old pair (Nordica Beasts) that it took several days on the snow to adjust. It was really that different,

hobbes429

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 10:15:48 am »
I definitely plan on getting 2-3 pair and working with the bootfitter to decide on the final one.  Thank goodness for return policies!  I am down to the '06 Head S10, the '07 Tecnica Diablo Flame. and the Nordica SpeedMachine 14.  Can't see spending the extra on the '08's when there are so many good prior year boots that work!  Haven't found a good deal on the Nordicas yet, but I am ordering the others today!

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 07:04:13 am »
of those 3, I like the Head, if you have an average sized foot, the Nordica Beast is a better boot than the Speedmachine IMHO but it's too wide for me.

trtaylor

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 08:28:20 pm »
yeah, the Raptor is a sweet boot as well. I can't wear heads as the Instep is too high.? As gary said, I got a few pairs and we just went with what fit best. I got a softer flexing boot (100 for Atomic) which turned out to be great; especially off-piste. the fit was so good and so different from my old pair (Nordica Beasts) that it took several days on the snow to adjust. It was really that different,

When I was shell fitting earlier this year I narrowed my selection down to the Head Raptor, the Falcon 10 and the Nordica Dobermann Pro 130. These three are all quite similar, 98 mm forefoot with low insteps and well-defined heel pockets. The cuff on the Falcon didn't fit my claves as well as the other two. The Falcon probably has the best liner, though.

The Raptor felt like it had a slightly lower instep than the Dobermann (not at all like previous year's Head boots) and was tight in the "throat", the area where the lower leg and instep meet. It would tend to pinch my leg pretty good taking it off and on.

The Dobermanns fit my lower foot well, the cuff fit my calf and I liked the stance. Plus, black is cool :)

I'm sure Billy could have made any of these work for me, but I am very happy with the selection I made (Dobermanns).

Check pages 12 - 14 of the Kandahar catalog for boot comparisons. http://www.kandahar.co.jp/catalog/
The three numbered boxes you see for each boot are relative values for forward lean, width and instep height.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 07:01:18 am »
taylor, thanks for the info on the boot fit cahracteristics. very interesting. Ta=hat nordica is an awesome boot for sure. Interesting to hear about the raptor as I need a very low instep. Yes, the black is cool, so I guess my white Atomics aren't ?  :)