Author Topic: Look Pivot vs. PX  (Read 1253 times)

kwilliams

Look Pivot vs. PX
« on: October 25, 2006, 11:23:44 pm »
I'm a long-time fan of the Look turntable style bindings.  Most people around these parts probably already know why, so I'll forgo that discussion.

The question I have is the advantage/disadvantage of the newer PX style (non turntable) bindings.  I have to mount up a new pair of skis and I'm wondering about the newer PX.  There seem to be more PX12 than P12 bindings available and they're cheaper to boot.

Is there a reason to go with the older P series vs. the newer PX?  Anybody who's tried both?  Should I save some $$$ and go for the PX12 or pay a bit extra for the older P12?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Barrettscv

Re: Look Pivot vs. PX
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:34:57 am »
I think the older Pivot has a smaller footprint and results in a smaller flat spot.

I'm staying with the Pivots for these reasons.

Michael

scottpetill

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 01:06:42 pm »
I need some clarification on the Look new designs:

I just picked up a pair of Head Monster 82's (flat). I've always used Looks, as well, back to the Nevada's and my current Looks are the Pivot P10's (2-3 yrs. old). For the Monsters I need to decide on another set of P10 Pivots or something else.

Do I understand correctly that the heels in the new "Lifter" bindings don't have the turntable feature? Do any of the new Looks have a turntable heel? If not, I'll likely go with another set of P10's, unless there is a good reason to go with Mojo 15's.

One other thing: Do any of the Looks allow for fore/aft adjustment or is that a feature of bindings with rails only? I didn't see anything on this feature in any of the Look specs.

Thanks

Barrettscv

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 05:23:40 pm »
First question last, none of the retail Looks have any kind of fore-aft adjustment. The Demo Looks do have this feature.

I have both the PX (on my Contact 11's) and also multiple pair of Pivot bindings.

The older Pivots are a very good design, the pivot feature is potentially safer than the non-pivot PX and the footprint (and resultant flat-spot) on the ski is minimal.

However the new PX is a more precise interface between boot, binding & ski. The PX has a nice solid feel and has more a direct and positive energy transfer between the boot and the ski.

I would use the PX.

Michael

scottpetill

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 06:21:48 pm »
Michael, thanks for the response.

I'm just curious: From your post in November it sounded like you favored the Pivots, so is your suggestion to go with the PX based on skiing them more this past season and finding them more favorable or is it based on my ski choice?

-scott

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 10:43:08 pm »
Michael obviously has more direct experience with the bindings so wait for his opinion.

What I have heard is that the biggest complaint with the older pivoting heel was a little bit of a vague or rubbery feel in the heel-piece (inherent in the way the heel releases).  The newer series addresses that to give a more positive feel (but maybe at the price of putting marginally more stress on the leg as it releases.

If you weren't bothered by this 'feel' on the older design then I would think it's fine to continue with that.  If you think you would appreciate the more 'clicked in' feel of the newer binding then that would be a consideration.  Both are excellent.
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

scottpetill

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 12:33:28 pm »
Thanks for the insight regarding the more "clicked-in" feel of the newer looks. I've not noticed a rubbery feel on the turntable heels while skiing, however, occasionally I would have a sense of not feeling I was completely in the binding as it lacked a "click". I found myself often having to re-enter the heel after giving it a quick brush-off of snow. So, I feel like at times the heel of the binding was perhaps not in it's intended/optimal position while skiing. I've always relied on the "feeling" of being into the heel completely as apposed to an actually feedback sound like a click from the hardware. I never had any pre-release issue, though.

Now, I know this has been covered a bit in forums but I'm a little confused by the lifter and rail technologies. Is it easy enough to say that binding rails are fine for groomed, lots of carving skiing but not so hot for powder skiing? And the same true with lifters? I've heard of people mounting Look Lifter's without the lifter but I wonder if this unintended use is recommended.

The idea of being able to adjust fore/aft position via the rail is interesting but I don't want to compromise "snow feel" for this convenience, if I'm understanding this correctly, at the risk of over-thinking it.

Barrettscv

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 07:11:15 pm »
Michael, thanks for the response.

I'm just curious: From your post in November it sounded like you favored the Pivots, so is your suggestion to go with the PX based on skiing them more this past season and finding them more favorable or is it based on my ski choice?

-scott

Its based on experience. I had good experience with the Looks on my Contact 11's. I also used a pair of PX demo bindings while using a pair of Head Monster 88 in a 186cm size. The Heads with the Look bindings felt more lively than the Heads Monster 88 I previously demoed with Railflex bindings.

I'm actually focused on bindings which provide a positive and slop free interface with the ski.

Cheers,

Michael
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 07:18:39 pm by Barrettscv »

scottpetill

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 08:34:46 am »
Thanks Michael,

One last thing: do you recall if the Look PX you demoed was a Lifter or flat. You didn't say Lifter but I just wanted to confirm that.

Cheers

Barrettscv

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 05:15:55 pm »
They had a lifter.

Michael

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 06:06:23 pm »
Bindings are very important
"Play it Sam"

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 07:43:30 pm »
Bindings need to be up before photo spam.
"Play it Sam"