Author Topic: Head RS96 Boots (07)  (Read 443 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Head RS96 Boots (07)
« on: October 25, 2006, 07:51:49 am »
Just got these last night from Dawgcathing (Scott). I have a low volume foot with the exception of a normal forefoot. Very narrow calf. I had to post this as the main decision to buy these or the Atomic Race-tech Ti's (not CS) was due to my boot fitter, Billy Kaplan and the input of everyone here- including Harold who added his .02.? ?So many thanks and more to follow once I go to the fitter on Thursday,

A fitting note. I have a 10.5 barely "D" width foot. I had 315 boots (27), these are 310, 27's and fit SO much better. I could probably actually go to a 308.? I want to make a point of the most significant thing I learned in this boot buying process, don't buy the boot by the mondo, buy it buy the fit only!? Start with a boot that most closely will fit using the sole length, then go from there.? This can vary, for instance, Atomic 27=315, Head 27=310. So be careful. I now understand why plug or semi-plug (plugabees) boots are the way to go if you can swing it. If I go with the Atomics, we will have to grind out from 304 to the correct fit. If you bbuy "off the shelf" yo don't have the ability really gring and fit to your foot.

First off, I have to comment on the reviews by the ski rags, once of which commented that the boot was incredibly hard to get into and the other called it the softest race boot tested. Another comment was that it had a medium calf and it had a very thin liner.

OK, here's my assessment:

The looks, very cool translucent anthracite grey color. You can see the red liner. Redish buckles with very simple and clean "HEAD" graphic. Nice, I give an "A".

The liner is typical for HEAD from wht Gary was telling me. It's not paper thin, nor bulky. Its just as you would expect from a low volume performance boot. It is very stiff which should give excellent energy and movement transmission. The tongue can be repostioned and attaches with a velco strip on the top of the forefoot. The front (outer side) of the tongue is covered with a hard plastic cover. This helps with strenght and good power/energy transmission, also helps make the forward pressure spread out; no hot spots.

The fit is very snug all over, its a 96mm last so that's exactly what I wanted. The toe box has a bit or room, even without any smithing, I can comfortably wiggle my toes. The liner has a nice anatomical fit, the ankle pocket and achielles area are perfectly snug.

The Buckles are a nice design, simple, wide range of adjustability and arched for ease of closure and opening. The top buckles can be easily moved over if necessary, no drilling. They are not screwed in like they are on a RD full plug version. This shouldn't be an issue.

The top strap is more than adequate and the way the boot flaps close, its closes very snugly. I don't think you really even need a booster with it.

I will go to the fitter along with the Atomic Race-techs and keep which ever fits best. I will post my review of the Atomic tomorrow.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

Instep is a medium-high, with my low volume foot, it was a potentail problem area.

Materials, Although the see-through materails look cool, when compared to the Atomic for instance, the plastic is thin and a bity flimsy. This is especially true with the buckles.

Side pins, one of the pins is adjustable, the other is fixed which means the fitter cannot remove it for fitting.

Lean: this boot is great, a very upright!

Overall:  Great boot but at the marketed level, should be made better.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 08:15:20 am by Ron »

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Head RS96 Boots (07)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 12:30:38 pm »
If I'm correct your Atomics come in tommorrow.....Man, your wife must be getting jealous....
Between your skii boots and sk outfits.....you guys must be competing for storage space!

It will be interesting to hear first impressions of the Atomic....

Just want to remind all the word stiff is a very relative term and so based on the individuals height, weight and leveraging ability.

Ron brought up some great points...spending big bucks on in my mind the most important piece of equipment on your skiing body, get with someone, a professional that understands the art of boot fitting.

Best,
Gary

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 01:08:43 pm »
Ron, my guess from what you have said on the your post is that the Head boots are on the roomy side. I doubt you will be able to shell them by yourself (wuthout destroying your foot). Clearly when you shell them with your bootfitter will be key. I don't care how much you like the color or the stance (or anything else about them) if they are even a little too large, don't keep them.

As for getting in and out of them, Diana tought me a great trick. Maybe I can take some pictures of me getting out of the boots because I'm not sure how to explain how to do it. The bottom line is that you can prevent the instep of your foot from being detsroyed each time you take off the boots.

The good news for you is that you are wthin spitting distance of having boots that fit you perfectly. Congrats, it takes a lot of work, learning and perseverance to accomplish this. JB.

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 01:19:51 pm »
thanks!  JB, sorry it I wasn't clear, the heads are very low volume, these will fit for sure. They are very easy to get into and out of . I think which boots I keep are going to to be up to Billy. I am on my way home now and the Atomics should be there. The heads fit so nicely, that with a grind here and a punch there, I will be good to go. What is crystal clear and "painfully" obvious (in that i wasted good money in the past and time) is that a properly fitting boot makes sucha  huge, huge difference. Simply tipping left to right is so immediate. Would I have noticed this 3-4 years ago?  Maybe.  Last two years, yes and that pisses me off! So I have to move forward and be happy I am on the right track now. Stiffness, the Head is perfect, I wouldn't want hem any softer. I tried them on when they were about 45 degrees and they were almost too soft, so i am fine with that aspect as well.  honestly, i don't care what they look like, gary has created a personna that I am stuck with!  But then again, we all envision him standing in his boots wearing womens silk underwear  ;D

jim-ratliff

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 08:08:54 pm »
As for getting in and out of them, Diana tought me a great trick. Maybe I can take some pictures of me getting out of the boots because I'm not sure how to explain how to do it. The bottom line is that you can prevent the instep of your foot from being detsroyed each time you take off the boots.

JB:  Waiting for the pictures, especially after the Cat-Trax tip.  Maria at camp helped me as well.  She showed me that by reaching farther down the front of the boot with both hands and forcing the plastic overlap forward/apart rather than just pushing my foot in while holding the tongue made it a lot easier to get the boots on. (and mine are just Head S12's).
"If you're gonna play the game boy, ya gotta learn to play it right."

jbotti

• 6+ Year Member
  • 400 Posts
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 08:48:02 pm »
Jim, I will see what I can do over the next couple of days. For plugs or semi plugs foot destruction is common without this technique. JB.