Author Topic: mounting, alingment, tuning Head IM 72  (Read 309 times)

Brendan

mounting, alingment, tuning Head IM 72
« on: October 23, 2006, 12:05:23 am »
Hi Guys,

Very excited - just got a good deal on some new head IM 72 (length 170) - railflex with LD 12 tyrolia.   It comes with a free tune and mounting.  Does anyone know how to get correct alingment, edge bevel, tune etc?  I have been reading some info on the site about how most skiis are mounted too far back etc.
For the record - I'm 160 pounds, 5'11, skiing ability - not familiar with your class system but in Australia I used to ski in class one (class 6 - 1, beginner is class 6) and I try to get a month in Colorado every year.

In the past I have always left it up to the tech in the shop but I now get the feeling this is not a good idea.  Would love to know your opinion. 

Many thanks

Brendan

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Barrettscv

Re: mounting, alingment, tuning Head IM 72
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 04:39:30 am »
Hi Brendon, congrats on the 82's!

I've been mulling over the mounting issue on my 88's. I'm going to use the standard position, Its further forward than my other skis and appears to be close to the ball-of-foot (BOF) over the Center-of-the Running-Surface (CRS). I got a great deal of info on this subject at Epic, see thread http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=45334 . Poster "Race 510", is the author of an academic paper on the subject, his paper can be found under "Articles" here at Realskiers.

Hope that helped!

Michael

P.S. I enjoyed you surfing discussion on the "Reverse Camber..." thread
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 06:18:25 am by Barrettscv »

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:58:17 pm »
Brendan,
I had the head 75' and and 77's and they both had the LD 12 Railflex bindings. The 75's were at the time my everyday ski and I skied them mounted in the forward position. The 77's I took out with snow above the boot and moved those to the center position.

It's really a matter of preference or that feeling of being centered on the ski. Nice thing about the Railflex is that you have that ability to try it in different locations. Start with the center position, but do try it in all three to see how you really have 3 different skis in one.

The edges, if you ski mostly front side and there's wind blown hardpack or ice, I'd use 1/2 degree base and 1 degree side bevel.
I think they reccommend  1degree and 1 degree....but if you create good angles with your feet and body, you'll like the 1/2 degree base.

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 01:30:57 pm »
I would use the standaard mounting position, like Gary said, the nice thing is you have 30mm of play. I personally ski all Heads in the +15 position and thought the 72's were a much better ski when skied forward. I beleive that the tuning specs are 1-2 and that should be fine for varied conditions and terrain.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 02:11:34 pm »
Ron's right on the side bevel...misprint on my part..

2 degrees on the side bevel and 1 or 1/2 on the basse depending on your conditions and skiing style.

Thanks Ron!

G

Brendan

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 05:16:46 pm »
Once again guys you have been extremely helpful - many, many thanks

Brendan

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 07:26:28 am »
thanks gary, I should have said 2-1. that would be a nasty setup.