Author Topic: Thinking about Colorado...  (Read 2384 times)

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
Re: Thinking about Colorado...
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2006, 08:32:18 am »
Thats awesome, its just killing me! Glad you had sucha great trip. That must have been great to see the ultimate ski team train. I know the WC is the first week in December over at BC.   Glad to hear the SS's were the ski of choice. You skied that in everyhting from 8" or pow to some slush? I am bringing the 82's as well but I doubt I'll end up using them.  Regarding the Rs's, this years boot is softer than last years.

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2006, 03:11:18 pm »
Wadaya mean you you'll doubt you'll end up using the 82's....

DOn't be sending the weather gods bad vibes there Finndog.....We be lookin for a couple of 12" dumps.

I've already put my order in.....and "shwing".....out come our 82's...now that's what I'm talking about!

Gary

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2006, 08:12:39 pm »
For all of you that are Colorado bound (Gary, Ron, Michael and Midwif) I just came back form three days of skiing at Copper. Conditions were mid winter like. The first day we had 8" of fresh and then soft groomed conditions the next two days. The ungroomed was fine on the powder day. By the third day, the moguls looked questionable with some rocks and base terrain showing. Alot of the mountain was closed, and they were packing down much of the terrain. With more snow coming, conditions should be great for your trip.

It was really fun to see the Austrian team training there. Benni Raich was signing autographs when we came out on Wednesday moring. Very Cool!! JB.

Well, I had decided against coming sunday morning. Was feeling too timid. Then I read this.
 I'm booked for flight, car and hotel room. Gentlemen, I believe I owe you all a round of apres-ski beer, for being so kind as to allow me to? hang around with you on the slopes a bit.
 This may be my very first day of the season on snow. If so, a morning of drills is in order on green terrain.
Wow, maybe I need to buy few pairs of skis for this. I have no quiver, just my trusty iC 160's. ;D
"Play it Sam"

midwif

• Global Moderator
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2006, 08:22:56 pm »
If it seems that a fatter set of skis is in order and I need to rent, the perfect posse of ski advisors will be available for consults!
"Play it Sam"

fredm8

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2006, 01:30:40 am »
Let it snow some more.

Cant wait to hear how you all get on, as it is 42 41 40 39 days and counting to the big bird in the sky to Aspen.

Any recommendations for rental skis
Head Supershapes
Metron B5
Atomic Allstars
Shops ?

Also I need to buy new boots.
Any recommendations to replace what were entry / intermediate level medium flex rotary boots with much stiffer, lateral boots for a 6'3" 220lb male ?

Douglas

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2006, 06:58:15 am »
Ok, the 82's will be on the snow. According to the site, the new section of chutes should be open so I am hoping to get into some of that territory. The 82's would be the ski of choice, a solid platform and ability to crush crud. I am thinking that as long as they can get some more snow next week, we will have a lot of terrain open. I am also hoping to get onto Grouse Mountain. I am not a moguls guy but I think there are some decent blue galdes over there. I definitely feel the high speed carving will be on the ticket with that nice heor snow!

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2006, 08:18:22 am »
MIdwif....those IC160's should fair you well for at least up to boot high. And you're correct, if some fatties are in order, you'll have the "board of selection" on hand to point you in the right direction.

Ok...so tell us, what kind of trails do? you like to ski, and what kind of terrain will you look to ski at BC? I'm sure we'll be skiing some cruisers as well and looking for fun stuff stuff to jump in to. I'm sure you'll enjoy this enthusiatic bunch.

If you have hand held radios, (like Motorolo or similar) bring them. I have some so this way we can lock on and we if head in to terrain that makes you feel uncomfotable, we can connect by radio and meet up at a chairlift and for? lunch and? dinner if you like.

So where are you staying? How many days you skiing? We should be arriving on Monday the 11th around 3pm. We'll be skiing Mon, Tues, and Wed..It will be Ron, Michael, Ed, and Me.. Ed is a ski buddy from Chicago.

We're at the Beaver Creek Lodge..room under my name, Gary Cassara.

Our first night there,? Ron suggested Dusty Bowl and Ron knows Beaver Creek.

21 days and counting!

Best,
Gary

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2006, 08:27:52 am »
Douglas,

The counting down has begun in earnest...snow is falling locally and the bunch can't wait to turn it loose out west.

Lateral Boots....
Head RS96 or the RS110
I ski the RS80....I'm 153lbs....Been very impressed with Head boots.

Salomon Falcon Race...could be another good choice.

It really boils down to HOW THE INTERNAL BOOT SHAPE FITS YOUR FOOT!

Good footbeds to place your foot and ankle in a neutal positoin...cause this is where performance skiing happens. Hooking up with a great boot fitter who understands skeletal stacking and alignment.

If you have the time, you could actuall connect with Harold Harb and find his nearest shop. They could sell you the boot, do the fitting, grinding and alignment when you're out west. They for sure are top notch!

As far as ski shops..don't know. They have a bunch in Aspen, check on line. You might add the Fischer RX8 and the Elan Rip Stick to your tests.

Best,
Gary

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2006, 10:34:07 am »
reagrding boots, add dobbie 130's to that list, go stiff my firend, you have plenty of size to make them work. Don't go soft!  Think at minimum, 130's. I think you are going to find the new RS96 to be too soft for you. Also, Falcon 10, and you can try the Atomic RT Cw, 130.

Gary, its the dusty Boot! You can eat of a dusty bowl but not me!  OK, yes, that tradition for me. Buffalo burger and a good micro brew. 

Barrettscv

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2006, 10:34:17 am »
Well, I had decided against coming sunday morning. Was feeling too timid. Then I read this.
 I'm booked for flight, car and hotel room. Gentlemen, I believe I owe you all a round of apres-ski beer, for being so kind as to allow me to? hang around with you on the slopes a bit.
 This may be my very first day of the season on snow. If so, a morning of drills is in order on green terrain.
Wow, maybe I need to buy few pairs of skis for this. I have no quiver, just my trusty iC 160's. ;D

Welcome aboard!

There is a chance my daughter, an ASU student may join us for 2 days. Would you like a room-mate?

Cheers,

Michael

Gary

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2006, 10:39:17 am »
Hey Michael....my daughter who lives and works in Boulder may drop in for a ski day.

And Ron, yes I can eat out of a Dusty Bowl if necessary...ski hard,....inhale food, no problem.

The Dusty Boot should be perfect!

GC

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2006, 10:41:21 am »
This is turning into quite the Realskier convention.  Hmm, what to wear?

fredm8

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2006, 11:13:07 am »
Hmm, what to wear?

Clothes !!

Thanks for the comments on boots.

I'm just trying to sort out how I can drop in an visit Harald's shop early in the trip to buy some new boots.
Currently booked to fly Denver / Aspen, may need to change plans, to use a shuttle, stay overnight to do boot fitting etc
From this far away, a few hours in a shuttle versus a plane doesnt seem to make any difference.

Douglas

Ron

• 6+ Year Member
  • 1000 Posts
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2006, 12:26:27 pm »
the clothes part is a long running joke..Gary and Michael are very fashion oriented and what one-piece,fart-bag they wear is is of significant consideration..... ::)

Barrettscv

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2006, 12:42:49 pm »
First of all Ron, is the cloths horse here ;D !

But; I could put on this: http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=47336

Cheers,

Michael
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 12:47:18 pm by Barrettscv »